Standard Measurements - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Vladimir
Perhaps the use of imperial units is one of the junta's pillars?
By Falx
Better yet, the imperial units were used by the old dictatorship and are seen as a sign of oppression by the working classes.

I'm pretty sure THP will vote for using metric if the choice was between that and imperial, even though some of our mp's would be happier with more fundamental units of measurement, would the SN-RF propose that motion so we can un-americanise the game?
By Vladimir
Yes I think we might just do that. We'll start internal talks on this soon
By Thunderhawk
The old school Hinterlandians will never give up their rôst (~mile), faðmr (half meter), dagsslátta (3/4 acre), fjórðungr (~10lb) and ôrtug (~1g).

Not many of them still around though, so we should be able to switch to something new and be fine. Since we would be switching to somethting new, we will adopt what will make us most acceptable and competitive world wide.

Cubits?
By Falx
Heh, since we're No(e)rds we can have the ð and þ in our language as well.
By Dr House
Falx wrote:And occasionally crashes space crafts into planets as a result.

How many times has that happened, again?

This is fucking ridiculous. the US government does not even enforce standard units of measurement, imperial is only used because it's ingrained into American culture. We shouldn't even be having this discussion, this is not something for the government to legislate for or against.
By ingliz
this is not something for the government to legislate for or against.

Yes it is, how can you enforce "weights and measures" if there are no standards?
By Dr House
There's no reason to even do so. Individual entities will use their own weights and measures as needed. Works fine in the US.

Why is everyone so up in arms about something so minor? Using imperial does not make Americans cavemen.
By Decky
I'm all for imperial, I went and asked for two pounds of potatoes the other day and the bastard game me two quids worth of spuds I felt like punching him. All the metric users can go across the channel to mainland Europe and stay there, we fought two world wars not to have to put up with their nonsense.
By Demosthenes
I'm using the Ingliz system and that's fucking it! If you all don't get it, that's not my problem. :eh:

Screw metric and Imperial.
By Falx
the US government does not even enforce standard units of measurement, imperial is only used because it's ingrained into American culture. Works fine in the US.

And the US doesn't have a disaster relief programme that works. Since it works for you guys (even though some thousands of people die because of it every so often) we should copy it? Fuck you American centrics, if you don't like Pofo get the fuck out, we are an European country and we don't suffer from your inferiority complex of having to be different for the sake of being different.

Why is everyone so up in arms about something so minor?

If it's so minor why not use what the majority of the world, including what our major trade partners China and the EU, are using?
By Dr House
Falx wrote:And the US doesn't have a disaster relief programme that works. Since it works for you guys (even though some thousands of people die because of it every so often) we should copy it?

No, you should copy it because it saves us this argument. And by "it" I mean not enforcing a standard, not necessarily using Imperial. That way the measures people are most comfortable with will be used.
By Falx
That way the measures people are most comfortable with will be used.

Hence: metric.
By ingliz
A "Weights and Measures" Bill is being voted on, at this very moment, which should settle this argument once and for all.
By Godstud
The problem I see is there there is not only the non-metric system but there also seems to be 2 separate non-metric systems, hence the use of Imperial and US gallons....
How many different systems are required?
By MistyTiger
ingliz wrote:A "Weights and Measures" Bill is being voted on, at this very moment, which should settle this argument once and for all.

Good. :)

Not sure about what genocide you're referring to, […]

Not all classification of living organisms is arb[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Pu[…]

I don't find it surprising mainstream media will a[…]