Massive popular protests in Colombia against high taxes - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Right now there are massive popular protests going on in the country of Colombia against high tax increases

16 protestors and one policeman have been killed in the demonstrations since last Wednesday in Bogota.

The cause of the protests is a proposed a tax plan aimed at raising $6.7 billion to pay the country's debts and maintain a basic income scheme for 3 million low-income people that started during the pandemic.

President Iván Duque withdrew the tax plan amid the protests and his finance minister resigned the following day, but large demonstrations and roadblocks have continued.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/my ... d=msedgntp

What's interesting about this is that it is a very popular protest, with masses of ordinary people across the country opposing it. It doesn't seem to be so politically partisan.

The size of Colombia's economy (GDP) is $323.6 billion, and their total military budget is $10.8 billion, just to give some comparison.

I don't think this story is only just about Colombia, it says some things about other places, and what might happen in the future.
Like they say, by learning about other societies we can sometimes learn more about ourselves.

I think it's a terrible thing to be getting into massive amounts of debt. When it comes time to start paying it back, the people are going to riot.
Another example of this was the protests and riots during the Greek Debt Crisis against "austerity".
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Define died first? Are missing in action for mo[…]

@FiveofSwords What is race? How to define it[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]