Testimony of how economics is taught, & so trains economists to be sociopaths & trolls for the rich - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Prof. Bill Mitchell wrote in his blog on Monday:
Irving Janis extended a lot of the ideas from his 1972 paper in his 1982 book – Groupthink : psychological studies of policy decisions and fiascoes – published by Houghton Mifflin, Boston.

The concept is very applicable to the economics discipline and the way the academy [=Univ. system] operates in this area of study.

Cancel culture is the norm within this discipline.

The dominant professors control the evolution of the ideas in many ways.

Examination processes militate against any critical views by students.

Scholarships to graduate studies are then highly biased towards those who have ‘done well’ in the undergraduate examinations.

Then appointments to the lower jobs in the academy are highly controlled and a certain type of graduate typically gets a job. [And all others don't.]

Then promotion is tightly controlled according to the type of publications one produces and the rankings of the journals they are published in. These rankings are highly controlled and vet out heterodox publications from the higher (and more valuable) ranks.

The professorial appointments are tightly controlled.

The competitive research grant process is tightly controlled to restrict money flowing to research projects that might be too ‘challenging’ for the mainstream viewpoint.

Then access into influential policy jobs in central banks and treasury departments become highly biased towards perpetuating the mainstream viewpoint.

This is really ‘cancel culture’.

There were very few people with my views who made it through graduate school and then went on to reach the top of the hierarchy.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=47579

Like I have said, economics classes teach the MS econ. theory, which holds that all players in the market are ONLY interested in their own winning, at any cost.

Econ. classes teach the main stream theory and teach that reality doen't matter. It is like the dogma in a religion. You must somehow bend your brain to acce,pt it or you are weeded out. If you refuse to accept the dogma, and stick to a view that all "sciences" must look at reality as the bedrock on which "truth" will be found, you will be weeded out. If you are a good Christian and refuse to accept that all people (= players in the market) are selfish bastards, because Christ taught the opposite, you will not do well.

I feel sorry for people who innocently majored in econiomics at the age of 19 and got sucked down into this (almost but not openly) Satan worshiping dogma. I hope they can see the light and shake it off.
wat0n wrote:I wanted to know if that was personal experience.

How about you ask others who have taken econ PhD coursework or gotten econ PhDs if they agree?

Do you realize that you are asking me to ask people I think have been indoctrinated to believe a dogma, if they agree that, that is what has happened to them?

If I'm right, they will say, no.
If I'm right, but they are 1 of the few who resisted the indoctrination , they will say, I'm wrong. But, may add that they think many others were indoctrinated.
If I'm wrong, they will say I'm wrong.

It seems like a waste of time.

My personal experience is mostly limited to talking on line with people who took econ. from a MS Univ., and they seem very close minded to me. Just what one would expect from people deep in groupthink & dogma.

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]