Investors snapping up middle class housing - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rancid wrote:However, I feel the fundamental issue is domestic cultural attitudes around the role of housing in our lives.

Absolutely - the idea of housing as an investment vehicle and pseudo-pension is toxic and fueling the establishment of this weird perverse neo-feudalism.
Politics_Observer wrote:
@JohnRawls

If that's laundered Russian money buying up property or money stolen from Russia by Russian elites being put into real estate, then those real estate assets should be seized and sold to legitimate buyer who has no ties to organized crime or using stolen national wealth from any given country to complete their purchase of real estate. Personally, I am not opposed to foreign ownership of American real estate so long as such ownership does not threaten national security and the proceeds used to make the purchase are legal and legitimate.

I'd like to objectively point out that this happens to be the crux of the inherent contradiction between the *economics* of capitalism ('free markets'), and its international *political* patchwork of competing nation-states.

Let's say that -- ignoring the FinCen scandal, the U.S. government *could* administer judiciously over all foreign capital, and also had unlimited resources with which to do so.

There's *still* the fundamental question of how does your nationalist politics prevent the slightest *bias* on the part of any given administrator?

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/power ... absolutely
Politics_Observer wrote:@JohnRawls

If that's laundered Russian money buying up property or money stolen from Russia by Russian elites being put into real estate, then those real estate assets should be seized and sold to legitimate buyer who has no ties to organized crime or using stolen national wealth from any given country to complete their purchase of real estate. Personally, I am not opposed to foreign ownership of American real estate so long as such ownership does not threaten national security and the proceeds used to make the purchase are legal and legitimate.

Both for China and Russia the money is mostly legit. It is not dirty or laundered money. Same goes for all other countries that fall in that category. The reason people keep money in EU and US is because it is under the protection of our legal systems and can't be just taken away for no reason at the whim of the government.

Plus we do not act that way, if its laundered money than you need to prove it and nobody in Russia or China is going to bother honestly. They stole it usually with the consent of whoever is in power.

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspirac[…]

Candace Owens

She has shown to many Americans what Zionism is s[…]

Both of them have actually my interest at heart. […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

As predicted, the hasbara troll couldn't quote me […]