Anyone else glad the stock market is crashing? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I don't mean this in a "lose your money you bastards" kind of way, well not completely, as I have some money myself and have lost some of it so far. The biggest hits have been taken by crypto investors (all crypto currency is a scam because none of it is backed by any physical power from a state), meme stock holders (also a scam; "hey let's invest in this brick and mortar video game store instead of Apple") and those who were really deep into aggressive growth ETFs like TQQQ, which I was literally about to invest in right before the crash started. As in, I was about to buy a large amount of TQQQ but then my cab showed up early.

This isn't to say that I've been a blessed trader this year. I tried to stay away from meme stocks and crypto because I thought they were scams, and those who stayed in them too long have lost 50% or more of their money, but this year everyone put their money into those things more than into regular things. As such, I made very little money in 2021, after making a ton of money in 2020. That's what you get for attempting to be a "principled trader" in a historic bubble economy I guess.

With that wall of text behind me, I'm actually kind of glad that the market is crashing and that rate hikes are coming. Although I've lost some money so far, but nowhere near as much as I might have, the upcoming rate hikes and further market crashing might return us to a market that actually makes sense, where investments are based off of what a company actually does and not if it has a funny stock ticker like BBW, or the painfully false morality of how buying Gamestop stock somehow hurts "hedgies".
It's not really a crash. More like a correction.

I suggest you buy in. I always buying more at these dips. Because if it's really a crash, it doesn't matter whether you buy in or not since it's all going to shit anyway. :lol:

I'm getting RICH! and I don't even have to follow Igor and Colliric's dumb shit CRypto advice. :lol:
Rancid wrote:It's not really a crash. More like a correction.

I suggest you buy in. I always buying more at these dips. Because if it's really a crash, it doesn't matter whether you buy in or not since it's all going to shit anyway. :lol:

I'm getting RICH! and I don't even have to follow Igor and Colliric's dumb shit CRypto advice. :lol:

Yeah crypto is going nowhere in the long term IMHO.

As for buying the dip, I have the opposite mentality. I was able to avoid like half of this drop because we had the quadruple top. My mentality is, if it's not going to be able to break out to new highs, why am I in at all? Well, I do sell options sometimes if I think it's stable but it's only stable for so long at a time IMHO.

The thing to watch is that tomorrow the Fed will announce how much they are raising interest rates by. If it's more than expected, there will be more drop. If it's not, then this may be it for now.

As such I see myself buying in tomorrow or Thursday most likely, since they are unlikely to do anything drastic after the market acts this way.
Wulfschilde wrote:Yeah crypto is going nowhere in the long term IMHO.

As for buying the dip, I have the opposite mentality. I was able to avoid like half of this drop because we had the quadruple top. My mentality is, if it's not going to be able to break out to new highs, why am I in at all? Well, I do sell options sometimes if I think it's stable but it's only stable for so long at a time IMHO.

The thing to watch is that tomorrow the Fed will announce how much they are raising interest rates by. If it's more than expected, there will be more drop. If it's not, then this may be it for now.

As such I see myself buying in tomorrow or Thursday most likely, since they are unlikely to do anything drastic after the market acts this way.

Holy crap if you deal in options then it is usually extremely risky. Calls or Puts?

Well I sold everything in August/September because I was worried about the incoming crash. The only thing in stocks and crypto that I have left right now is 500 bucks of Shiba that I bought while being drunk and will never divest from. So am I a Hodler?

Is this crash good or bad? I think it is irrelevant in the grander scheme of things considering this is how the economy has behaved for more than a hundred years now. The important lesson is perhaps that we managed to make the boom cycle longer and now we need to check if the bust cycle will be longer/harder.
Rancid wrote:The Fed's anouncement can possibly calm this volatility. It's always darkest before it goes dark.

My MMT expert would say that the Feds plan to raise interest rates is the cause of the stock market falling. The Fed intends to stop inflation that is being caused by supply shocks and monopoly pricing power (neither of which will be improved by raising rates). So, the Fed's plan is not going to help and is already causing the market to fall.
. . . It reminds me of the Fed fighting the 70s inflation that was being caused by monopoly pricing power [OPEC] with repeated rate hikes that never worked, until they crashed the economy.
JohnRawls wrote:Holy crap if you deal in options then it is usually extremely risky. Calls or Puts?

Well I sold everything in August/September because I was worried about the incoming crash. The only thing in stocks and crypto that I have left right now is 500 bucks of Shiba that I bought while being drunk and will never divest from. So am I a Hodler?

Is this crash good or bad? I think it is irrelevant in the grander scheme of things considering this is how the economy has behaved for more than a hundred years now. The important lesson is perhaps that we managed to make the boom cycle longer and now we need to check if the bust cycle will be longer/harder.

It's not that bad, I mostly just sell covered calls to raise a bit of cash. Although even that has burned me now and then, the stability of the income has helped me out a bit.

I actually was poised to make like $20k but I chickened out and lost like $10k. Then the market proceeded to do exactly what I had thought it was going to do before I chickened out :excited:

Even so, the fed is going to stop buying assets in early March if they stick to their plan. I'm just going to wait until then because the current volatility isn't worth the possible risks to me at the moment.
Skynet wrote:I use Monero, the real crypto currency, and hope the worth will increase. Monero could not even the US government trace back.

You forgot to hit the bong just before you said that. :)
Skynet wrote:I use Monero, the real crypto currency, and hope the worth will increase. Monero could not even the US government trace back.

Monero is the default currency for day to day common pleb illecit transactions for common stuff like drugs or slaves or weapons to blackmail money.

It will get banned eventually and then its price will drop to 0.

And I have no doubt in my mind that it will be the scapegoat in the crackdown on crypto at some point since they will chicken out to ban Bitcoin and Etherium which are used for large scale transactions or value keeping for illicit activity.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]