More immigration to plug the worker shortage? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I really have to wonder this since I hear so much about everyone "wanting" to work from home.

So we manufacture very little in this country. Most of it gets made in Asia, sent over here and sold... much of it direct to consumer from a website.

What is it the "everyone" is going to do from home? Where is the added value? Do you expect to put seven layers of sales, management and form-filler-outers between the end consumer and worker turning out physical stuff in Asia?

it gets load on a ship. Computers already do much of the beancounting and logistics automagically. Same with the design and packaging. I just don't get where all this made up "work at home" is?

Play this in your head. What is everyone going to do from home and add additional cost to a product or service whilst not really boosting the bottom line? How much human intervention do you think there is "from home"?
@MistyTiger

I do think we should bring in more immigrants to make up the worker shortage. Plus some of them will start businesses and create jobs. I have to agree with you that many Americans don't seem comfortable around foreigners and I think it's because of ignorance and the fear of the unknown, which, is part of ignorance.

My family will be hosting a Ukrainian family from Odesa. We welcome them into our household and we expect that they will want to get to work as soon as possible so they can become independent. It's a good opportunity for me to practice more Russian too. My Russian tutor says my Russian continues to improve. The other day I went to a Ukrainian owned coffee shop. MAN! That was the BEST coffee ever! This coffee blew Starbucks OUT OF THE WATER. I ordered shots of espresso and coffee in Russian given a Russian woman was working behind the counter (they employ both Ukrainians and Russians but the shop is Ukrainian owned and they have a pro Ukrainian signs outside their shop).

At the cafe, a bunch of Ukrainians who fled the war and came to the US from Kyiv was there and couldn't speak a lick of English so I was conversing with them in Russian and they were happy to speak to me in Russian. One of them got my phone number because he wants to learn English. But progress is very slow in learning a foreign language, especially when you are studying for a Masters and the A+ exam.

Also, especially, when that language is Russian, which is a difficult language to learn. The grammar is also difficult and the Russian language itself is difficult even for Russians or Russian speakers. Got a few A+ practice exams under my belt and studying my weak areas before I take the actual exam. That A+ exam has a TONNN of material. I read the entire 1,300 page book from first to last page. People who make fun of the A+ exam have never taken it as it is an under-estimated and difficult exam that covers a massive amount of material and requires a great deal of study.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 15 Sep 2022 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
BlutoSays wrote:
I really have to wonder this since I hear so much about everyone "wanting" to work from home.

So we manufacture very little in this country. Most of it gets made in Asia, sent over here and sold... much of it direct to consumer from a website.

What is it the "everyone" is going to do from home? Where is the added value? Do you expect to put seven layers of sales, management and form-filler-outers between the end consumer and worker turning out physical stuff in Asia?

it gets load on a ship. Computers already do much of the beancounting and logistics automagically. Same with the design and packaging. I just don't get where all this made up "work at home" is?

Play this in your head. What is everyone going to do from home and add additional cost to a product or service whilst not really boosting the bottom line? How much human intervention do you think there is "from home"?

---

The putting-out system is a means of subcontracting work. Historically, it was also known as the workshop system and the domestic system. In putting-out, work is contracted by a central agent to subcontractors who complete the project via remote work. It was used in the English and American textile industries, in shoemaking, lock-making trades, and making parts for small firearms from the Industrial Revolution until the mid-19th century. After the invention of the sewing machine in 1846, the system lingered on for the making of ready-made men's clothing.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putting-out_system
We are short 400,000 workers, which will increase every year until it peaks at 900,000 workers.

Personally, I suspect the quality of that last number. The economy may well shrink, to some degree, as the mismatch slows the parade down.

But back to the point, we need more people, it's that simple, kids..
late wrote:
We are short 400,000 workers, which will increase every year until it peaks at 900,000 workers.

Personally, I suspect the quality of that last number. The economy may well shrink, to some degree, as the mismatch slows the parade down.

But back to the point, we need more people, it's that simple, kids..

'We' -- ?

Who's 'we', late -- ?

Are 'we' here for the sake of the *economy* itself, or is that actually ass-backwards?
late wrote:
America has 400,000 jobs that need doing.

And if all the jobs get filled and everything chugs along as it should, what would be the positive *metric* there, that we could see?

late wrote:
Your last sentence needs help.

And it's calling to me because I'm its *daddy* -- ! (grin)

---

To reiterate:

ckaihatsu wrote:
Are 'we' here for the sake of the *economy* itself, or is that actually ass-backwards?

Social Production Worldview

Spoiler: show
ckaihatsu wrote:

And it's calling to me because I'm its *daddy* -- ! (grin)

If you were smart, you'd ask for a paternity test.

I am beginning to contemplate the notion that there is nothing there but annoyance value.
late wrote:
If you were smart, you'd ask for a paternity test.

I am beginning to contemplate the notion that there is nothing there but annoyance value.

If you don't *want* this tangent of digression, then simply don't *go* there.

[Q #01]

ckaihatsu wrote:
'We' -- ?

Who's 'we', late -- ?

[Q #02]

ckaihatsu wrote:
And if all the jobs get filled and everything chugs along as it should, what would be the positive *metric* there, that we could see?
I was hoping a Righty would respond.

You see, we could fix this overnight, just do a Reagan style amnesty of the undocumented, and we could 'add' as many as we wanted to the workforce.

Then I was hoping they would get all self-righteous about them being here illegally, and then I would point out that the Right does a lot of law breaking these days.
late wrote:
I was hoping a Righty would respond.

You see, we could fix this overnight, just do a Reagan style amnesty of the undocumented, and we could 'add' as many as we wanted to the workforce.

Then I was hoping they would get all self-righteous about them being here illegally, and then I would point out that the Right does a lot of law breaking these days.

Yeah, maybe find someone to pass that message along appropriately 'cause I ain't the guy on that one.

I'm not stopping you on that particular policy.
late wrote:I was hoping a Righty would respond.

That won't happen. The Reagan amnesty was based on the premise that, in exchange for agreeing to amnesty, measures would be taken to prevent the situation from happening again. That obviously did not happen. Conservatives learned a lesson from that.
late wrote:We are short 400,000 workers, which will increase every year until it peaks at 900,000 workers.

But it's also true that worker's unions in the U.S. have more leverage now than they have had in a long time.
Just a couple of years ago worker's unions (with the exception of public sector unions) were a complete joke and practically had no leverage to be able to demand anything.
Puffer Fish wrote:
But it's also true that worker's unions in the U.S. have more leverage now than they have had in a long time.
Just a couple of years ago worker's unions (with the exception of public sector unions) were a complete joke and practically had no leverage to be able to demand anything.

Supply and demand.
BlutoSays wrote:I really have to wonder this since I hear so much about everyone "wanting" to work from home.

A lot of customer service and sales jobs like the people who answer the phone when you call that toll free number...they work from home. Business people can work from home. Auditors can do a blend of onsite inspection and at home they can write reports and hold online meetings.

Computers can do some bean counting, but for making decisions about allocation of expenses and other major financial decisions, an actual accountant or analyst is needed for the job. Machines cannot do it all. ;)
You know there's a lot of padding going on. Look at commercial real estate. You can look right thru the buildings now at empty floors. Many of those people are gone.

Things will get leaner (except in govmint, where they generate reams of policy documents that everyone shelves).
BlutoSays wrote:
You know there's a lot of padding going on. Look at commercial real estate. You can look right thru the buildings now at empty floors. Many of those people are gone.

BlutoSays wrote:
Things will get leaner (except in govmint, where they generate reams of policy documents that everyone shelves).

It doesn't matter which 'immigration' thread you propagate to, BS -- there's still the little matter of *this* (besides all the *other* stuff, too):

Outcome

As of December 2020, the total funding given for new fencing was about $15 billion, a third of which had been given by Congress while Trump had ordered the rest taken from the military budget. This funding was intended to build new fencing over 738 miles (1,188 km), at a cost of about $20 million per mile; this would cover a little more than half the approximately 1,300 mi (2,100 km) that had no fencing when Trump took office.[53][54]

A March 2021 review of the Trump work on the wall found only 47 miles (76 km) of new barriers where none had previously existed. While Trump had described the new wall as "virtually impenetrable", it was found that smugglers had repeatedly sawed through the wall with cheap power tools. Also, new dirt roads that had been used to access the wall construction served as new access roads for smugglers.[55]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_wall#Outcome

viewtopic.php?p=15247503#p15247503
Pants-of-dog wrote:While immigration does have a very slight pressure on demand by increasing the population, this has little impact on the market. This is because most immigrants are usually trying to access low income housing that most others do not want, when they first arrive.

This is very dependent on exactly which region and area. In many places, low income housing is the segment of the housing market that has the greatest shortages. Other people very much want that low income housing because they struggle to be able to afford anything more expensive, due to high real estate costs and high population densities.

Some area like many parts of the Rust Belt region (in the U.S.), which has experienced economic decline and population exodus, and has lots of abandoned homes, you may be right.

I read the reports, but it does not even mention […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Tainari88 no, Palestinian children don't deser[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]