SVB is not bailout, Credit Suisse is a BAILOUT! - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
There is no perspective on the finance industry because people have been brainwashed to believe that it's good for them and for the economy that depositors provide all the capital and the same depositors assume all liability for the money lost by others as per the regulation of others. Central banks have no liability whatsoever and are beyond reproach both moral and legal while depositors have all the liability for all the actions of the Fed and no say or oversight over these actions.

This is how the entire finance industry business model operates and many decades of brainwashing has embedded a cultural acceptance of it as gospel.
As per usual you misinterpret commentary .

It’s a bailout through and through and its purpose was to keep a very sensitive niche of American businesses afloat and free of external influence.

No one was making a judgement, people just don’t like being treated like fools.
noemon wrote:Of course he does, it's his job to vilify this action...

You are wrong. Nothing of what he says is vilification. He specifically says that while he is unsure if they needed to go this far he is also not wanting to second guess that action either. Nothing he said is vilification of depositors at all.
You are the one inferring a negative connotation on the depositors and now trying to put one on this guy or me :lol: .
The question is why et tu?

Again, wrong.
All mortgages must have insurance by law.

That is inaccurate. Mortgages for which you put less than 20% downpayment might have this requirement. There are certain lenders that might wave this requirement also. For instance, there are banks that specialize in lending $$ to physicians in particular and they allow for 0% downpayment and no morgage insurance on said mortgage.
https://www.laurelroad.com/healthcare-b ... lsrc=aw.ds
Here it even says it on their front page:
No private mortgage insurance required

The printers of the FED/ Central Bank.

So you want the taxpayer to foot the bill. And this is not a bailout why? :lol:
The 401k is an investment, the cash companies use to pay their bills via a bank are not.

So a business is not an investment? :lol:
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/y ... investment.
Business
The money put into starting and running a business is an investment.

You are incorrect, both are investments.
Again. There is nothing risk-free for running a business.... plenty of them go bust every day.

It is not making any sense and that is why you are not laying out your analogies. Because all these assume a risk by choice and free will. Companies have no choice to not use a bank to conduct their business.

They also have no choice about the weather and a flood can ruin them, they also have no choice but to use our roads to transport their goods and a drunk driver might crash into them, also they have no choice but to use currency that suffers the risk of being devalued or have inflation, they have no choice but to use the internet and they could be exposed to viruses and ransomware. That is why companies end up hiring risk management team so they can deal with these and many other risks that occur as a result of running a business.

You spent an entire post ranting nonsense but you did not address the main argument about liability.

You have this idea that anyone that disagrees with you is "ranting".
:knife:

Why should deposits be guaranteed by the Fed/Central Bank? Because it is the Fed/Central Bank regulating the fractional reserve system, when you legislate that banks can use 90% or 95% of 99% of other people's money without their knowledge and consent then you are liable for that 90% being invested based on your legislation which also happens to be outside public/state oversight.

Without their knowledge and consent? Don't you sign hundreds of pages of user agreements when you open an account with them? How many times have you read them? :lol: This is basic economics, it was part of the required course of civics highschool. Most people forget it because it makes no part of their day-to-day function, but it was taught in school. But again, it is incumbent on you to have an understanding how the service you are using works and what risks it might incur in your business. When you buy a computer for your business... aren't you introducing a point of failure? (many really). What happens if your business is a youtube channel and a hacker takes over control of your system, deletes/encrypts your videos? The FED is also supposed to print money and give to you because you were unaware of the risk of cybernetic crime that you took when you got a computer.

When you legislate that banks can use the money of others to take risks with and they crash and burn as a result, you have the direct liability for what happens to these money of that other people that you have legislated that it is okay to be used for other purposes and without the people's knowledge and consent. This should be quite simple. Moreover, the FED/Central Bank has the ability to replace all the money with the press of a button anyway without affecting inflation. The liability is between the FED/Central Bank legislating the rules and the Bank playing by those rules. Not the third-party that has no option but to pay for the use of a bank for the right of doing business. Why do you believe otherwise?

Legislators and regulators also legislate and regulate how our roads are used, how our airspaces is used, how the internet is used, how land is used, how our water is used, etc. Each and every activity that we do has a risk. Just minding my own business on my house does not guarantee that a plane will not come and crash on my roof and kill me or that a truck is not going to go over the fence of my house and kill me in my home's own porch. You think depositors did not understand the risk? Do you even realize that SVB failed specifically because of a bank run? by definition the depositors understood the risk, in fact they understood it so well that THEY caused the collapse. Have you considered the scenario from a different point view? What happens to the bank employee that just lost his/her job because a bunch of people decided to simultaneously and expeditiously withdraw their money from the bank and thus causing a bank collapse? Who is protecting this employee (and I am not talking about senior management or shareholders here).
So no. I don't accept your premise that depositors were unaware of the risk. First, this is basic information from highschool, second a lot/most of this makes it to long and unreadable user agreement that most of us ignore and blindly sign when opening an account, but as if that was not enough... every bank worth its salt also prominently displays and advertises its FDIC insurance and the implication is quite clear... up to 250k is insured. If you go to the bank and you see the sign "hey deposit with us, the fed guarantees your money up to 250k" it is quite clear that above that there is a risk... wether you do anything else to find out about this risk and how to mitigate it is on you. Finally, the fact that depositors ran for the exit demonstrates that they were indeed aware of the risk... they were the ones that caused the problem and are about to do the same for first republic bank. This is another bank getting bailed out. At this point first republic bank is getting infusion of deposits from other banks... this is a bailout. It is not gifted money, it is not government money acquired through taxpayers but it is money by which without the bank would almost certainly collapse. There is nothing intrinsically nefarious or vile from a bailout. On its face, it is rather heartwarming that other banks are pooling out together to help first republic. Ofcourse, reality is not as rosy as their motivation is almost certainly self-serving as it is not in their interest to have contagion and fear...

The business customer pays the bank money for the right to conduct business transactions without choice, the bank pays the FED interest on the money they use from their customers to make loans but it is the customer that is liable for the losses of the bank and the customer the one that is providing the capital for both the bank and the Fed to make money on and the customer that has to pay for insurance both for their deposits and for their mortgages.

Really? I haven't paid a cent to my bank in over a decade to have my account, make payments or receive payments. My father and uncle both have businesses, they don't pay a cent either. Isn't it weird chase, wells fargo, citi, etc? don't charge you to keep, protect your money? How can they afford to have thousands of ATMS around the country, thousands of locations with well dressed staff, how do they buy computers and pay their utilities if customers are getting free accounts and are not being charged to deposit or withdrawal money?
The customer has the liability for the risks others take with their money!!! The customer is bailing out the banks and providing the capital for the banks business model, yet pop culture managed by money centres also blames the customer for not doing "due diligence" when their bank fails!!

Simple, don't use a bank.
You are factually ranting dude. You are using a dirty term "bailout" to blame depositors for not doing due diligence and doubling down on your blaming depositors in this very post also so just be honest about it at the very least. Much like infowars and FDIC, whose job is to vilify others for their own business model to succeed.

Business has no option to not use a bank to conduct business transactions. It is illegal to use or carry large amount of cash in many countries and jurisdictions and businesses conduct hundreds of transactions per day worth millions if not billions.

You are conflating apples with oranges, confusing consumers with business who pay banking fees for all transactions, either in or out.
Confusing force majeure with investment decisions embedded within a particular regulatory framework.

You are also confusing the act of going into business with the act of using a bank to make transactions for which you pay fees for it. Conducting transactions to pay your liabilities is not an investment decision.

Making transactions is not investing. It's rather ridiculous that I have to tell you this.

Like seriously.

The exception of a bank in the US offering mortgages to doctors without life insurance, is not the rule but the exception and you still need house insurance to get a mortgage.

And lastly, you are still evading the point of liability.

It is the Fed/Central Bank regulating the fractional reserve system, when you legislate that banks can use 90% or 95% of 99% of other people's money without their knowledge and consent then you are liable for that 90% being invested based on your legislation which also happens to be outside public/state oversight. This is fairly simple and the main point of this discussion, yet it is the point that you evade. "Do not use a bank" is not an option for business. What knowledge do depositors have of the risks taken with their money?

What happens to the bank employee that just lost his/her job because a bunch of people decided to simultaneously and expeditiously withdraw their money from the bank and thus causing a bank collapse? Who is protecting this employee (and I am not talking about senior management or shareholders here).
So no. I don't accept your premise that depositors were unaware of the risk.

You are engaged in victim semantology. The bank employee is now the victim of depositors who should have kept their money in a failing bank. :roll:

This is why it is impossible to have a rational conversation even with those pretending to be so because they will say and come up with anything to pass the liability onto others. It's quite systemic.

Lastly, the Fed is not the taxpayer.

It is quite unreal that you need to be told all these.

As per usual you misinterpret commentary .

It’s a bailout through and through and its purpose was to keep a very sensitive niche of American businesses afloat and free of external influence.

No one was making a judgement, people just don’t like being treated like fools.

Depositors should not be treated like fools nor beggars that have been "bailed out" without engaging in any risk investment but merely using a bank to conduct transactions with their own money, especially when they have no other options, they are not the ones who invested erroneously, not the ones who created the framework and regulations.

SVB has not been bailed out and as such, your rants remain nonsense.

You are way too invested in your catchwords and outrage.

You are failing to blame Democrats in this case and consider yourself as being taken for a fool because your anti-something outrage is no longer working.

You consider your self entitled to your fake outrage but you do not consider depositors as entitled to their own money! :lol:
Rancid wrote:You didn't understand my post. The people that get PAID out of those accounts are regular people. It is pay roll money in those accounts (among money for other things of course). If those people don't get paid because a business (the depositor/SVB customer) can't access their money. This becomes a problem that cascades down to regular people. It's saving the flow of paychecks to regular people that assume, if they work they should get paid. As opposed to saving share holders who took a calculated risk of investing in a bank.

On the contrary, I did understand your post. It is not my position that it is a mistake to bailout these people, but it is a bailout regardless.

Under normal circumstance, the shareholders would be first in line to recoup money from asset sales. FDIC made it so the depositors are first. A better situation...

I don't think it works quite like that. Deposits are not really the shareholder's, they are liabilities to the depositors.

I guess you can go down the libertarian path of "Well those people working for those companies should have done their due diligence to understand the risks with the bank their company was using" or something. However, I don't think we should place that burden on people either.

Not necessarily, but the companies that they work for should also have a skin in the game if they did not take precautions.
After all, this mess was caused in part by panic by many of these companies/depositors.

In short, do you think the workers who probably didn't even know their company was using SVB should just be left high and dry?

That is not my position. I don't have a strong preference for either or, nor do I have all the information to make an informed decision on the matter, nor that my decision would be of any good as I am not an expert on the field nor expected to have a solid decision. What I correctly pointed out that this is indeed a bailout. The term bailout does not intrinsically carries with it a negative connotation anymore than the term gay or black carries an intrinsic negative connotation.
Furthermore, it is worth considering the scenario in which we just let it happen. Again, considering the scenario does not mean doing it, it means consider the scenario. Just because there is pain on the other side does not mean that such option is off the table. Lots of people lose their homes to floods, to fires, to earthquakes and their lives are impacted every year. To the Puerto ricans, Maria certainly disrupted their lives far more than a couple missed checks will impact the life of a few californians. I think it is potentially the case that the FDIC making this problem go away could desinsentivice legislation of regulation, thus making the problem persist. Reps and Dems are always finding excuses not to work with each other and the FDIC taking this off their plate is not helping the situation. Look what happenend with immigration? Nothing gets done, with student loans? Nothing gets done, with budgets? Debt ceiling? The one thing they usually agree on is war and even then a faction of republicans now all of the sudden wants to stop fuding wars :lol: .

For once, we see some semblance of an attempt to help workers.

Hardly. I bet this is to protect big banks from a contagion effect and run-away systemic fear. But I am a cynic in that regards.

A situation that is better than past situations. Why are we hating this? It's a better situation than ever before.

It's as though people would rather shareholders be bailed out, to satisfy the justification of their rage.

What we have here, is an improvement, and perhaps, from this, we can learn and improve things more in favor of regular people as opposed to the favor of shareholders like it has been done in the past.

I think people are too quick to jump on the hate wagon, as opposed to having some perspective here.

It is not a matter of hate at all. I don't have any emotional reaction, positive or negative, on the matter. It is merely an assessment.
It is technically a bailout if the government is effectively now insuring deposit balances above $250,000 when the previous policy had capped insurance at that amount.

Is it a bad thing? Not in the short run as it stops a potential systemic problem, but the precedent can indeed be troublesome in the long run if nothing is done. If the FDIC will now provide more insurance, it will need more funding to that effect and that means users should have to foot the bill. That is, there will need to be a special fee or tax for balances above $250,000 if there will be no cap.

The money has to come from somewhere after all.
"Bailout" applies to companies that have failed. This company has not been bailed out and has failed. Technically, this is not a bailout of SVB.

The government is not insuring something because neither FDIC, nor the Fed are under full government control.

Users of the Fed and FDIC are banks and not people. If the Fed chooses to give banks 0%-10% deposit requirements, then it is up to the Fed and the banks to foot the bill of their regulatory choices.

Xog wrote:Lots of people lose their homes to floods, to fires, to earthquakes and their lives are impacted every year.

That is force majeure. Or otherwise termed "an act of god". SVB failure is not an "act of god" but a regulatory failure by the FED to properly oversee the banks in its authority. It is directly liable for all depositor losses.
XogGyux wrote:Hardly. I bet this is to protect big banks from a contagion effect and run-away systemic fear. But I am a cynic in that regards.

Sure, but these contagions are not in isolation. What helps the big banks, also helps these workers in this case. Or rather, this relationship has a stronger coupling than say back in 2008.
wat0n wrote:Again, not necessarily a bad thing but if the insured amount will be increased going forward then the depositors with amounts above $250,000 will have to foot the bill. That's all.

No. It does not somehow follow that depositors are liable for something.
I wonder if increasing the insurance amount would help with inflation in some way. :?:

FYI, for those of you that maybe don't remember. From the 80s through to 2008, the FDIC insurance was 100k (I recall this because I opened my first bank account well before 2008 and remember being told about the insurance on the account). It was during the 2008 recession that they raised it to the current 250k. With the over supply of money (and thus inflation). I propose that it should be raised anyway. Especially after this event. I say make it 500k, and grant that level of (grandfathered) insurance to depositors of SVB. Anything over 500k can go under receivership certs. Sell the bank and/or it's asset to cover the certs. Fire the executives and seize their personal assets to also cover the certs for fucking up, and leave the share holders high and dry completely.. fuck'em.

BOOM! the FDIC and central bank should hire me. 8)

That said, I'm sure the assets over insurance would drop from 88% to like 70% only. :lol:

Raising the limit would raise the premiums that banks have to pay on that insurance. Which is fine with me. It will result in lower interest rates on things like savings accounts for depositors (but inflation counters that too I guess... maybe this would help dampen inflation...), but I would recommend against pooling (too much) money in a savings account anyway.
1) It should be called deposit guarantee and not insurance, as it is in Europe. They are not insured by somebody, they are guaranteed by the regulatory authority. There is a difference.
2) It should have no upper limit and whether there should be a lower limit should be debatable.
3) The total funds available for this guarantee should always be public.

For example FDIC guarantees all deposits up to 250k even if all banks fail at the same time, which means that available funds are there to cover everybody at the same time, which also means that if x amount fails, then there are available funds to cover the entirety of all x deposits.

In the event that Z happens and everyone needs to be guaranteed, then the upper limit should be set as % of the monies in the account combined with the lower limit of 250k or 500k or whatever.

Business current accounts should have no limits at all as these are paid products and not interest-paying saving accounts. This entire premise of reserve deposits relies on this one justification alone. In saving accounts you get interest and in turn loan your money to the bank. This mechanism does not apply in [business] current accounts and as such the terms of such an agreement do not apply either.
noemon wrote:1) It should be called deposit guarantee and not insurance, as it is in Europe. They are not insured by somebody, they are guaranteed by the regulatory authority. There is a difference.
2) It should have no upper limit and whether there should be a lower limit should be debatable.

For example FDIC guarantees all deposits up to 250k even if all banks fail at the same time, which means that available funds are there to cover everybody at the same time, which also means that if x amount fails, then there are available funds to cover the entirety of all x deposits.

In the event that Z happens and everyone needs to be guaranteed, then the upper limit should be set as % of the monies in the account combined with the lower limit of 250k or 500k or whatever.

Business current accounts should have no limits at all as these are paid products and not interest-paying saving accounts. This entire premise of reserve deposits relies on this one justification alone. In saving accounts you get interest and in turn loan your money to the bank. This mechanism does not apply in [business] current accounts and as such the terms of such an agreement do not apply either.

Are you trying to take the job I just got at the FDIC? :eh: :lol:

This sounds reasonable. The question I would ask is, what are the arguments against doing this?
noemon wrote:1) It should be called deposit guarantee and not insurance, as it is in Europe. They are not insured by somebody, they are guaranteed by the regulatory authority. There is a difference.

Who pays for the European guarantee?
noemon wrote:You are factually ranting dude. You are using a dirty term "bailout" to blame depositors for not doing due diligence and doubling down on your blaming depositors in this very post also so just be honest about it at the very least. Much like infowars and FDIC, whose job is to vilify others for their own business model to succeed.

No. You are factually incorrect.
Bailout is not a "dirty" term. I even posted verbatim definitions from 2 different dictionaries and provided you with examples of bailouts that have occurred towards people and/or companies that were in financial distress due to no fault of their own (aka COVID assistance, checks, lending easements, etc.) If you continue to see the term as a dirty term, that only reflects your own projections. Now, stop ranting.

Business has no option to not use a bank to conduct business transactions.

Yes, they have. Use cash. Or perhaps crypto :lol:
You mean they don't have an EASY and or CONVENIENT option.
And just for the record, there is no safe option. There was NEVER a safe option. Cash can be stolen and destroyed, even gold and silver coins can be stolen or destroyed. Obviously crypto is a scam. And as we have seen, even banks suffer from various downsides as well (fraud, liquidity problem, over-regulation, under regulation, poor management, etc).

You are conflating apples with oranges, confusing consumers with business who pay banking fees for all transactions, either in or out.
Confusing force majeure with investment decisions embedded within a particular regulatory framework.

No.

ou are also confusing the act of going into business with the act of using a bank to make transactions for which you pay fees for it. Conducting transactions to pay your liabilities is not an investment decision.

Making transactions is not investing. It's rather ridiculous that I have to tell you this.

Like seriously.

The exception of a bank in the US offering mortgages to doctors without life insurance, is not the rule but the exception and you still need house insurance to get a mortgage.

Again, you are wrong. You are talking about property insurance now, which is not the same as mortgage insurance. You don't need mortgage insurance if you put more than 20% downpayment in most banks and even 0% if you are a physician (and a few other medical professionals, this includes dentists as well). What you are talking about is property insurance. When you buy a home with a mortgage, you don't really own the house, the bank does... therefore they can stipulate that they want the property insured until the property becomes rightfully yours when you pay the mortgage. Keep in mind, this does not protect 100% of the bank's risk either. The insurance that you bought could potentially become insolvent after a major hurricane or natural disaster thus putting at risk the bank's ability to recover the money it lend you. The bank knows this and still decides to lend you the money. There is risk everywhere dude... that is why companies have risk management departments.
And I don't know why you are even talking about life insurance, that is completely irrelevant.

And lastly, you are still evading the point of liability.

It is the Fed/Central Bank regulating the fractional reserve system, when you legislate that banks can use 90% or 95% of 99% of other people's money without their knowledge and consent then you are liable for that 90% being invested based on your legislation which also happens to be outside public/state oversight. This is fairly simple and the main point of this discussion, yet it is the point that you evade. "Do not use a bank" is not an option for business. What knowledge do depositors have of the risks taken with their money?

No. I am not. The Fed/Central bank does not make the government liable defacto for the failure of a bank and/or depositors. The FDA is not responsible for the failure of a drug or a medical device and the government, even though it regulates roads, car safety standards, etc, is not responsible for all accidents that have ever occurred and thus liable to print money to pay for the hospitalization of the person that developed an adverse reaction to a pill, the person that developed a hardware associated infection with a prosthetic hip or a driver that crashed his car on another driver's car.

You are engaged in victim semantology. The bank employee is now the victim of depositors who should have kept their money in a failing bank. :roll:

I am simply pointing out the fallacy of trying to assign blame and victimhood. Sometimes unfortunate events occur due to a series of unanticipated and/or unlikely events. This is the reason why you seek vilification where none exist.

This is why it is impossible to have a rational conversation even with those pretending to be so because they will say and come up with anything to pass the liability onto others.

I think I am in agreement with you on this. Go figure.

Lastly, the Fed is not the taxpayer.

First, don't confuse the fed as in federal reserve, vs FDIC. Different entities. But regardless, printed money is not printed wealth. Printed money devaluates other existing printed money, therefore effectively taxes everyone that holds a dollar or spends a dollar. So yes, the fed swooping in and paying with printed money is a defacto tax on anyone that owns a dollar.

It is quite unreal that you need to be told all these.

I don't need to be told this, especially when it is mostly wrong or inaccurate information. However, as long as you insist on doing so, I will correct you.

SVB has not been bailed out and as such, your rants remain nonsense.

Stop ranting then. I never said the bank got bailed, I said the depositors were bailed and they are in fact.

You consider your self entitled to your fake outrage but you do not consider depositors as entitled to their own money! :lol:

:lol:

"Bailout" applies to companies that have failed.

Actually, no. The whole point of a bailout is to prevent the companies from failing. So technically a bailout would apply to companies that are in the process of failing, not to companies that have already failed. It is impossible to bail Toys R US... they are gone, they "have failed" you cannot bail out a failed company. You can only bail one that is in the process of failing. Furthermore, failing does not imply a mistake, miscalculation or unwarranted risk taken by said company. Sometimes they do everything by the book but the market conditions/competition/timing/etc is such that they cannot thrive. Furthermore, you are only focusing on a portion of possible bailout, a bailout is also lending money to a company in financial distress, and you can also bail out individuals and not companies. The government intervening to facilitate liquidity by means of either cash injection, loans, etc to assist the depositors that might/are facing financial distress is by definition a bailout. Whether the depositors have any blame or not, the bank has any blame or not, the regulators have any blame or not is completely inconsequential to the actual meaning of the word. The word carries no implicit derogative connotations and you are the one assuming so.

Technically, this is not a bailout of SVB.

And technically I didn't say otherwise. This is technically a strawman.

Rancid wrote:Sure, but these contagions are not in isolation.

Well sure that is why contagion is used as an analogy here, implying we should quarantine the spread :lol: because it is not perceived as an isolation case. That is why I am a bit skeptical about this whole situation, there have been 500+ bank failures in 2 decades but this one needed the FDIC to create new rules? They were worried about something else. They say, depositors... I doubt this was the main reason. Millions of people get their life affected on a daily basis on a far more profound matter and the government barely lift a finger, if this was the ONLY concern, I don't think it would have been unreasonable to see it unravel. Some pain at the beginning, but the assets to give a good chunk of the existing deposits, even if not 100%. Yes it would be disruptive for business operations and for individual financials, but a late paycheck or a 30% loss of capital does not even come close to an actual catastrophe. So that is why I think the FDIC knows more than they are saying and want to make it clear that they will intervene so this does not spread. Do I think this is the wrong move? No I don't, it is probably the right move. I don't know and probably they don't know either but have an educated guess that it will, after all when we deal with people behavior there are many unknowns. People are like wildebeests and they spook easily.
Rancid wrote:I wonder if increasing the insurance amount would help with inflation in some way. :?:

FYI, for those of you that maybe don't remember. From the 80s through to 2008, the FDIC insurance was 100k (I recall this because I opened my first bank account well before 2008 and remember being told about the insurance on the account). It was during the 2008 recession that they raised it to the current 250k. With the over supply of money (and thus inflation). I propose that it should be raised anyway. Especially after this event. I say make it 500k, and grant that level of (grandfathered) insurance to depositors of SVB. Anything over 500k can go under receivership certs. Sell the bank and/or it's asset to cover the certs. Fire the executives and seize their personal assets to also cover the certs for fucking up, and leave the share holders high and dry completely.. fuck'em.

BOOM! the FDIC and central bank should hire me. 8)

That said, I'm sure the assets over insurance would drop from 88% to like 70% only. :lol:

Raising the limit would raise the premiums that banks have to pay on that insurance. Which is fine with me. It will result in lower interest rates on things like savings accounts for depositors (but inflation counters that too I guess... maybe this would help dampen inflation...), but I would recommend against pooling (too much) money in a savings account anyway.

I remember this as well. Not personally, but my grandfather would tell me this all the time. I had the punny little student account that I opened with a $200 USD in now-defunct Wachovia bank and they gave my brother and I a tiny 14" CRT TV and a sandwich toaster for opening the account:lol: . Not surprising they went out of business giving free tvs and toasters to students that are not paying fees for the accounts :lol: Anyhow I vividly remember him telling him how he had all his money across different accounts specifically so it wouldn't go over the 100k limit.
Anyhow, methods to insure $$ and mitigate any potential loses do exist already. I think a FDIC-sponsored program in which depositors can opt-in for additional insurance above and beyond a "standard of 250k" in which you choose the amount you want to insure at increasing fees schedule per deposit is not unreasonable.
The idea of giving absolute insurance to a third-party, for-profit entity such as a bank, which are not particularly well known for their prudency seems like a recipe for disaster. They take on the risk with depositors' money and then the government (taxpayers really) ensure that money. If we are going that way, perhaps we should discuss full nationalization of banks. Now, this is not something I support at all, but the idea of having the bank use my money that is insured by my money to take risks to enrich themselves seems dystopian to me.

wat0n wrote:Who pays for the European guarantee?

Perhaps more importantly, how strict are the banking regulations for European banks vs Americans?
Also, I don't think this is the way it goes in europe, a quick search seems to suggest UK limits to 85k pounds and the EU up to 100k euros.
XogGyux wrote:No. You are factually incorrect.
Bailout is not a "dirty" term. I even posted verbatim definitions from 2 different dictionaries and provided you with examples of bailouts that have occurred towards people and/or companies that were in financial distress due to no fault of their own (aka COVID assistance, checks, lending easements, etc.) If you continue to see the term as a dirty term, that only reflects your own projections. Now, stop ranting.

Dude, you blamed depositors for causing the sack of the banks employees, yet here you are dancing around the fact that you are trying to vilify depositors. You are proactively seeking to vilify them.

Yes, they have. Use cash. Or perhaps crypto :lol:
You mean they don't have an EASY and or CONVENIENT option.

No, they do not have a lawful option to do business without a business bank account.

You can get arrested for carrying too much cash on you.

People are not legally allowed to carry bags of cash anymore.

And just for the record, there is no safe option. There was NEVER a safe option.

You are ranting again, it is a matter of liability.

Again, you are wrong. You are talking about property insurance now, which is not the same as mortgage insurance. You don't need mortgage insurance if you put more than 20% downpayment in most banks and even 0% if you are a physician (and a few other medical professionals, this includes dentists as well). What you are talking about is property insurance. When you buy a home with a mortgage, you don't really own the house, the bank does... therefore they can stipulate that they want the property insured until the property becomes rightfully yours when you pay the mortgage. Keep in mind, this does not protect 100% of the bank's risk either. The insurance that you bought could potentially become insolvent after a major hurricane or natural disaster thus putting at risk the bank's ability to recover the money it lend you. The bank knows this and still decides to lend you the money. There is risk everywhere dude... that is why companies have risk management departments.
And I don't know why you are even talking about life insurance, that is completely irrelevant.

Banks demand home insurance by law for when you get a mortgage and some of them demand mortgage insurance and life insurance on top. If they want to insure their property they should do it on their dime.

Fact is you were wrong that you do not require insurance to get a mortgage, you do require which is also on your dime.

No. I am not. The Fed/Central bank does not make the government liable defacto for the failure of a bank and/or depositors. The FDA is not responsible for the failure of a drug or a medical device and the government, even though it regulates roads, car safety standards, etc, is not responsible for all accidents that have ever occurred and thus liable to print money to pay for the hospitalization of the person that developed an adverse reaction to a pill, the person that developed a hardware associated infection with a prosthetic hip or a driver that crashed his car on another driver's car.

Councils are liable for potholes and hazards they failed to ameliorate. Hospitals for their staff conduct and so on and forth, the only people not liable for their failure to oversee banks properly are the Central Banks because they have people like you apologising for them for free. :lol:

I am simply pointing out the fallacy of trying to assign blame and victimhood. Sometimes unfortunate events occur due to a series of unanticipated and/or unlikely events. This is the reason why you seek vilification where none exist. First, don't confuse the fed as in federal reserve, vs FDIC. Different entities. But regardless, printed money is not printed wealth. Printed money devaluates other existing printed money, therefore effectively taxes everyone that holds a dollar or spends a dollar. So yes, the fed swooping in and paying with printed money is a defacto tax on anyone that owns a dollar.

The liability lies with the FED/Central Bank, not another different independent FDIC entity but the Fed itself. The Fed regulated and the Fed failed to cover the pothole(a pothole the size of 90-100% of all deposits in the country). Central Banks set up different entities that allegedly work together with central banks to hide the blame from the FED/Central Bank and to distract people. Yet another policy error.

I don't need to be told this, especially when it is mostly wrong or inaccurate information. However, as long as you insist on doing so, I will correct you.

Once again, you think this conversation is about you.

On bailout, here is the definition:

Depositors are not failing companies. Their bank and central bank has failed them, they have not failed their business. Having access to your own funds is and should be a right not a privilege. And they certainly do jot deserve being blamed as the culprits by people like you accusing them of causing the bank run because some of them had the mind to withdraw their money which even you suggested as their option when you said “dont use a bank and do your due diligence” explicitly telling them to move their funds elsewhere.

Evidently, your logic is totally contradictory.

@wat0n

waton wrote:Again, not necessarily a bad thing but if the insured amount will be increased going forward then the depositors with amounts above $250,000 will have to foot the bill. That's all.

Who is footing the bill for up to 250k?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Well decades after we are still here. So for all […]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]