Elderly falling into homelessness - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Truth To Power wrote:It most certainly has not. Paying collectively for certain goods and services is not collective ownership of the means by which they are produced. K-12 education has largely been nationalized, but not health care.

If your only criticism is that I am not using “nationalization” the same pedantic way that you prefer, then I assume you have no other criticism.
Truth To Power wrote:Justice in public revenue and land tenure institutions would abolish homelessness pretty much immediately, as well as radically relieving most other social and economic problems. People just hate justice.

Correction: most people hate justice if they have to pay for it or if it means losing an unfair privilege (which in their minds is the same thing).
Pants-of-dog wrote:If your only criticism is that I am not using “nationalization” the same pedantic way that you prefer, then I assume you have no other criticism.

@Truth To Power is not just being pedantic, @Pants-of-dog. He has highlighted an important distinction. Marx, after all, called for the working class to seize control of the means of production. He did not call for existing governments to simply nationalise existing industries. If you cannot recognise that distinction as being a real and important one, then I don’t know what to say to you.
Pants-of-dog wrote:If your only criticism is that I am not using “nationalization” the same pedantic way that you prefer,

I.e., correctly....
then I assume you have no other criticism.

"No criticism" other than that your claim was baldly false...?

Bizarre.
Potemkin wrote:Correction: most people hate justice if they have to pay for it or if it means losing an unfair privilege (which in their minds is the same thing).

Yes: they hate justice when they (usually incorrectly) perceive themselves to be profiting from injustice.
Truth To Power wrote:Yes: they hate justice when they (usually incorrectly) perceive themselves to be profiting from injustice.

Which is just another way of saying that most people are selfish bastards. Which is difficult to deny. :)
Potemkin wrote:Which is just another way of saying that most people are selfish bastards. Which is difficult to deny. :)

What me deny it right now.
Potemkin wrote:Which is just another way of saying that most people are selfish bastards. Which is difficult to deny. :)

People tend to become more selfish when they see that their own or others' greed is rewarded. Unfortunately, we live in a society where that is the norm.
Potemkin wrote:@Truth To Power is not just being pedantic, @Pants-of-dog. He has highlighted an important distinction. Marx, after all, called for the working class to seize control of the means of production. He did not call for existing governments to simply nationalise existing industries. If you cannot recognise that distinction as being a real and important one, then I don’t know what to say to you.

Yea, he is correct in a historical manner.

I was discussing housing, and for the sake of how housing would be nationalized, it would be more comparable to how Canada has “nationalized” medicine. As the two of you have correctly pointed out. this is not nationalization in the Marxist sense since there is no public acquisition of the means of production.

Canada does not own all the insulin and ECG test suppliers. It just is the single payer. Housing would necessarily be the same (without the required radical change in economy that could only come from revolution) in that the state would become the single housing provider for people who do not own their own home.

So, while the distinction is valid and important, and I personally support both the classic Marxist sense and the admittedly incorrect way I am using it, “nationalizing” an existing industry is a more viable option now. Also, both systems would work for solving the problem of homelessness among the elderly (as well as everyone else).
Godstud wrote:
Yes @late , in the USA, medical bankruptcies are 50% of all bankruptcies. There's too much money in the medical industry for the USA to change, at this point.

There's two sides to that. The first is our insane health care finances. The second is our income inequality, which you seemed to tacitly agree with.

If I look around, nearly everything is a result of the rich screwing the country sixty ways to sunday...

Everything from barbaric bankruptcy laws to the massive, and growing, homeless problem, is a result of their thievery.
'Unconscionable': American baby boomers are now becoming homeless at a rate 'not seen since the Great Depression'

Thanks in part to a series of recessions, high housing costs and a shortage of affordable housing, older adults are now the fastest-growing segment of America’s homeless population, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal, based on data from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"The fact that we are seeing elderly homelessness is something that we have not seen since the Great Depression," University of Pennsylvania social policy professor Dennis Culhane told the Journal.

Dr. Margot Kushel, a professor of medicine and director of the Center for Vulnerable Populations and Benioff Homelessness and Housing Initiative the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), has observed an escalating rate of homelessness among older Americans.

In a 2020 journal article for the American Society on Aging, Kushel wrote that of all the homeless single adults in the early 1990s, 11% were aged 50 and older. By 2003, she says that percentage grew to 37%.
Now, the over-50 demographic represents half of the homeless single adults in the U.S. -- with no sign of their numbers slowing, leaving baby boomers (those aged 57 to 75) particularly vulnerable.
"Elderly homelessness has been rare within the contemporary homeless problem. We've always had very few people over 60 who've been homeless historically," Culhane from the University of Pennsylvania told PBS NewsHour.
But in recent years, Culhane says that has changed. Older Americans, he says, are "now arguably the fastest rising group."

After living through multiple recessions, leaving some of them with little savings, aging boomers are now also contending with insufficient affordable housing. And with everything from gas to groceries costing more these days, many aging Americans are struggling to make ends meet.

And if they need additional support at a certain point, finding a low assisted living center is becoming more challenging -- as the field contends with labor shortages, inflation and reduced funding that puts the already limited number of facilities at risk of closing.
Even rent is becoming increasingly out of reach in certain areas, like Massachusetts, New York and Florida.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Florida resident Judy Schroeder told the Journal the apartment building she was living in was sold to a new owner, raising her monthly rent by more than $500. Schroeder lost her part-time job, leaving her living off Social Security alone, and couch-surfing for months before she finally found a place in late August.
"I never thought, at 71 years old, that I would be in this position," she said.

Researchers at UCSF told the Journal that about half of the homeless older adults in places like Oakland, California and New York, became unhoused for the first time after their 50th birthday.
These individuals pointed to a major event, like the death of a spouse or a medical emergency, as the trigger.
"It's an entirely different population," said Kushel. “These are people who worked their whole lives. They had typical lives, often working physically demanding jobs, and never made enough to put money away."

There's also the matter of income, as the federal minimum wage of $7.25 has failed to keep up with inflation.

Some cities, like San Diego, have even piloted programs to provide rental subsidies for a limited time to older, low-income adults to help them find their feet. (Perhaps a good idea, but that is not really so much of a permanent solution)​

'Unconscionable': American baby boomers are now becoming homeless at a rate 'not seen since the Great Depression' -- here's what's fueling this terrible trend , by Serah Louis, Moneywise, September 22, 2023
Dr. Margot Kushel, a professor of medicine and director of the Center for Vulnerable Populations and Benioff Homelessness and Housing Initiative the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), has observed an escalating rate of homelessness among older Americans.
In a 2020 journal article for the American Society on Aging, Kushel wrote that of all the homeless single adults in the early 1990s, 11% were aged 50 and older. By 2003, she says that percentage grew to 37%.
Now, the over-50 demographic represents half of the homeless single adults in the U.S. -- with no sign of their numbers slowing, leaving baby boomers (those aged 57 to 75) particularly vulnerable.
"Elderly homelessness has been rare within the contemporary homeless problem. We've always had very few people over 60 who’ve been homeless historically," Culhane from the University of Pennsylvania told PBS NewsHour.
But in recent years, Culhane says that has changed. Older Americans, he says, are "now arguably the fastest rising group."​

'Unconscionable': Baby boomers in America are becoming homeless at a rate 'not seen since the Great Depression' -- here's what's driving this terrible trend , by Serah Louis, Moneywise, March 14, 2023
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k There[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]