Albert Einstein Letter to The New York Times - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Albert Einstein Letter to The New York Times. December 4, 1948

TO THE EDITORS OF NEW YORK TIMES:

Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our times is the emergence in the newly created state of Israel of the "Freedom Party" (Tnuat Haherut), a political party closely akin in its organization, methods, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties. It was formed out of the membership and following of the former Irgun Zvai Leumi, a terrorist, right-wing, chauvinist organization in Palestine.

The current visit of Menachem Begin, leader of this party, to the United States is obviously calculated to give the impression of American support for his party in the coming Israeli elections, and to cement political ties with conservative Zionist elements in the United States. Several Americans of national repute have lent their names to welcome his visit. It is inconceivable that those who oppose fascism throughout the world, if correctly informed as to Mr. Begin's political record and perspectives, could add their names and support to the movement he represents.

Before irreparable damage is done by way of financial contributions, public manifestations in Begin's behalf, and the creation in Palestine of the impression that a large segment of America supports Fascist elements in Israel, the American public must be informed as to the record and objectives of Mr. Begin and his movement.

The public avowals of Begin's party are no guide whatever to its actual character. Today they speak of freedom, democracy and anti-imperialism, whereas until recently they openly preached the doctrine of the Fascist state. It is in its actions that the terrorist party betrays its real character; from its past actions we can judge what it may be expected to do in the future.

Attack on Arab Village

A shocking example was their behavior in the Arab village of Deir Yassin. This village, off the main roads and surrounded by Jewish lands, had taken no part in the war, and had even fought off Arab bands who wanted to use the village as their base. On April 9 (THE NEW YORK TIMES), terrorist bands attacked this peaceful village, which was not a military objective in the fighting, killed most of its inhabitants (240 men, women, and children) and kept a few of them alive to parade as captives through the streets of Jerusalem. Most of the Jewish community was horrified at the deed, and the Jewish Agency sent a telegram of apology to King Abdullah of Trans-Jordan. But the terrorists, far from being ashamed of their act, were proud of this massacre, publicized it widely, and invited all the foreign correspondents present in the country to view the heaped corpses and the general havoc at Deir Yassin.

The Deir Yassin incident exemplifies the character and actions of the Freedom Party.

Within the Jewish community they have preached an admixture of ultranationalism, religious mysticism, and racial superiority. Like other Fascist parties they have been used to break strikes, and have themselves pressed for the destruction of free trade unions. In their stead they have proposed corporate unions on the Italian Fascist model.

During the last years of sporadic anti-British violence, the IZL and Stern groups inaugurated a reign of terror in the Palestine Jewish community. Teachers were beaten up for speaking against them, adults were shot for not letting their children join them. By gangster methods, beatings, window-smashing, and wide-spread robberies, the terrorists intimidated the population and exacted a heavy tribute.

The people of the Freedom Party have had no part in the constructive achievements in Palestine. They have reclaimed no land, built no settlements, and only detracted from the Jewish defense activity. Their much-publicized immigration endeavors were minute, and devoted mainly to bringing in Fascist compatriots.

Discrepancies Seen

The discrepancies between the bold claims now being made by Begin and his party, and their record of past performance in Palestine bear the imprint of no ordinary political party. This is the unmistakable stamp of a Fascist party for whom terrorism (against Jews, Arabs, and British alike), and misrepresentation are means, and a "Leader State" is the goal.

In the light of the foregoing considerations, it is imperative that the truth about Mr. Begin and his movement be made known in this country. It is all the more tragic that the top leadership of American Zionism has refused to campaign against Begin's efforts, or even to expose to its own constituents the dangers to Israel from support to Begin.

The undersigned therefore take this means of publicly presenting a few salient facts concerning Begin and his party; and of urging all concerned not to support this latest manifestation of fascism.

ISIDORE ABRAMOWITZ,

HANNAH ARENDT,

ABRAHAM BRICK,

RABBI JESSURUN CARDOZO,

ALBERT EINSTEIN,

HERMAN EISEN, M.D.,

HAYIM FINEMAN, M. GALLEN, M.D.,

H.H. HARRIS,

ZELIG S. HARRIS,

SIDNEY HOOK,

FRED KARUSH,

BRURIA KAUFMAN,

IRMA L. LINDHEIM,

NACHMAN MAISEL,

SEYMOUR MELMAN,

MYER D. MENDELSON, M.D.,

HARRY M. OSLINSKY,

SAMUEL PITLICK,

FRITZ ROHRLICH,

LOUIS P. ROCKER,

RUTH SAGIS,

ITZHAK SANKOWSKY,

I.J. SHOENBERG,

SAMUEL SHUMAN,

M. SINGER,

IRMA WOLFE,

STEFAN WOLFE.

New York, Dec. 2, 1948

http://archive.org/details/AlbertEinste ... ember41948

===================

I posted this story to remind people on here to NEVER be anti-Jewish. There have been many intelligent, genuine and caring Jews throughout history. Distinction must be made between Zionist Jews and Real Jews. People such as Albert Einstein reminds us that we are all brothers in humanity. And because of these beautiful honest Jews I personally support the existence of Israel.

Another quote from Einstein: “It would be my greatest sadness to see Zionists (Jews) do to Palestinian Arabs much of what Nazis did to Jews.” ― Albert Einstein"

The man was a real genius.
wat0n wrote:Are you aware that Einstein supported the founding of Israel during the bipartition vote? He simply opposed the extremist Zionist factions as he supported the moderates.

Why do you push for this ridiculous "Zionists = Irgun and Lehi" theory when the bulk of the Zionists where represented by the moderate Jewish Agency?

Yes and does not in anyway affect my view about Einstein. My main point was that there are Jewish people like Einstein who care/cared about unjust and unethical behavior of their people and about being on the right side of History. He was able to foresee the future of Israel and Palestinians and expressed his worst nightmare. The current far-right extremist Netenyahoo government is an embarrassment to the genuine people of Israel and the world at large. What would Einstein say about the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza for instance?

There not not many in Israel who are opposed to extremist Zionist ideology and eventually that will be it's downfall.
Jihsan wrote:Yes and does not in anyway affect my view about Einstein. My main point was that there are Jewish people like Einstein who care/cared about unjust and unethical behavior of their people and about being on the right side of History. He was able to foresee the future of Israel and Palestinians and expressed his worst nightmare. The current far-right extremist Netenyahoo government is an embarrassment to the genuine people of Israel and the world at large. What would Einstein say about the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza for instance?

There not not many in Israel who are opposed to extremist Zionist ideology and eventually that will be it's downfall.

WONDERFUL POST Jihsan!
Thanks for making sure the distinction between Jewish people and Zionists is clear.
I believe Einstein is rolling in his grave over the current state of Israel these days.
"Distinction must be made between Zionist Jews and Real Jews."

Real Jews?

You're missing the point here. Like every nation , there are people more to the right and some more to the left. But does that make them "Real"??
Common, you guys depict Israelis like a friggin' blood thirsty monsters.

"What would Einstein say about the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza for instance? "

When the IAF used guided ammunition to target specific men that costs a lot?

Again, the bulk of zionists were liberal moderate people.......

You tend to forget that a lot.
The letter was written to criticise Menachem Begin who was visiting New York at the time to raise funds and Begin was the leader of the Zionist militant group Irgun which terrorised the British stationed in Palestine. Begin's Herut ("Freedom") party, which became the Likud Party, was at the core of the founding of the state of Israel and he became the first Likud prime minister of Israel in 1977 and Einstein opposed Begin's right-wing politics as a peace activist but he was not against the state of Israel per se.
Wrath_014 wrote:You're missing the point here. Like every nation , there are people more to the right and some more to the left. But does that make them "Real"??

Zionists are unrealistic when it comes to political and world views, they live in a fantasy world, bit like the PC gaming world and addicted to mass murder and bombings in order to further their agenda. When I talk about "real" Jews I'm talking about people who are learned, down to Earth and understand how the world works and how to live alongside other people.

That type of thought process only helps your side.

"What would Einstein say about the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza for instance? "

He'd be totally against it.

"Were" is the important bit, they no longer are.

ThirdTerm wrote:The letter was written to criticise Menachem Begin who was visiting New York at the time to raise funds and Begin was the leader of the Zionist militant group Irgun which terrorised the British stationed in Palestine. Begin's Herut ("Freedom") party, which became the Likud Party, was at the core of the founding of the state of Israel and he became the first Likud prime minister of Israel in 1977 and Einstein opposed Begin's right-wing politics as a peace activist but he was not against the state of Israel per se.

I'm not against the State of Israel but I'm against using mass murder and ethnic cleansing to increase Israels land capacity and hence making the two state solution unworkable. Which is exactly what they wish to do.

I believe Einstein is rolling in his grave over the current state of Israel these days.

Yes and the saddest part of this is that nothing has been learned from the evils done to Jews by Hitlers Nazi Germany.
Jijisan wrote:I posted this story to remind people on here to NEVER be anti-Jewish. There have been many intelligent, genuine and caring Jews throughout history. Distinction must be made between Zionist Jews and Real Jews. People such as Albert Einstein reminds us that we are all brothers in humanity. And because of these beautiful honest Jews I personally support the existence of Israel.

I hope you realize that Zionism is simply belief in a Jewish homeland in "Eretz Tzion" (the land of Zion). Supporting the existence of the state of Israel is Zionist by definition, so unless I'm misunderstanding you, that makes you a Zionist. In this sense, nearly all Jews, myself included are Zionists. What you call Zionists are actually just the right-wing Zionists. The Israeli parliament hasn't had a left-wing majority in over ten years. Historically, the labor party has been much more open to negotiating with land in order to achieve peace, and the Likkud party isn't willing to give up much of anything to appease non-Jews.

In the early 1990s, Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin was in the middle of negotiations with Yassar Arafat to give Palestinians national sovereignty in Gaza. Rabin was assassinated (by a far right wing Jewish political activist) before the agreement could be completed.

ThirdTerm wrote:The letter was written to criticise Menachem Begin who was visiting New York at the time to raise funds and Begin was the leader of the Zionist militant group Irgun which terrorised the British stationed in Palestine. Begin's Herut ("Freedom") party, which became the Likud Party, was at the core of the founding of the state of Israel and he became the first Likud prime minister of Israel in 1977 and Einstein opposed Begin's right-wing politics as a peace activist but he was not against the state of Israel per se.

In fact, Einstein was given a chance to be the second president of Israel in 1952, but he declined because he didn't feel that he would make a good president.
Jihsan wrote:
Zionists are unrealistic when it comes to political and world views, they live in a fantasy world, bit like the PC gaming world and addicted to mass murder and bombings in order to further their agenda. When I talk about "real" Jews I'm talking about people who are learned, down to Earth and understand how the world works and how to live alongside other people.

You need to understand something, Zionism is a point of view now rather than a movement....
You have Zionists on the Left and Right wings. So basically, by your logic, both of them are unrealistic about politics?

I don't expect that a Jew that lives 10000 KM from Israel would understand an Israeli Jew, far from it....You need to understand that Israeli Jews are not like the other Jews.... Different mentality. Being a zionist is not a bad thing.

That type of thought process only helps your side.

This is what came out from your text man (Reading between the lines)....

He'd be totally against it.

The question is : Bombing what for example? What was the nature/purpose of the bombing?

"Were" is the important bit, they no longer are.

Still are.....

http://www.economist.com/node/2257228 for example ...

Yes and the saddest part of this is that nothing has been learned from the evils done to Jews by Hitlers Nazi Germany.

It's not the same.
Jishan, opposing Jewish independency is any Jewishness. Period. Einstein was indeed genious, and he was pro Zionist BTW.

Arab people in Egypt that prefer Jews to be enslaved to them, are anti Jews. But the bigger point is I do see a general mix of all Jewish points (religion, independency and nation), and I think thats just logic. In most of the cases all is combined and feeds one another. And my point is this is not a mistake or misunderstandment- maas that is so afraid from Jewish religion and culture, is obsessed also with anti - Israeliness. But her trigger is actually anti-Judaism culture. This fear is also what motivates many Arabs to hate Israel - for fear to their chauvenist hagemony and of any cultural connection with different culture. And just gereral xenophobia to other state here. It is all combined.

What a mistake here is to think you can oppose Jewish religion and independency like Noam Chomsky - get affection from the anti- semetics, and think here you found the golden path- but actualy its a path of self deleteness.

Opposing Jewish independency is pure anti-semetism. Opposing Jewish culture- religion is pure anti-semetism. Opposing our nationalism is again anti-semetism. Its not allowing us to be. And in fact most people do mix it all and each point triggres the other. Since anti-Jewishness is anti-Jewishness. Israel is indeed smart for behaving good, Einstein was right Israel must follow the moral principles, and thats what was.

Accepting Jews to be here means you like there will be a Jewish culture here, its nice this religion is going on, its nice these people live. This is the core of things. Love to Jews or indifferent to Jews means you accept these all in principle. At the bottom of things.
Read the story below it will highlight the difference in ones understanding of Zionism.

"....During a presentation on the Palestinian-Israeli situation in 2001, an American-Israeli acquaintance of ours began with a typical attack on the Palestinians. Taking the overused line that "Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity," he asserted snidely that, if only the Palestinians had had any decency and not been so all-fired interested in pushing the Jews into the sea in 1948, they would have accepted the UN partition of Palestine. Those Palestinians who became refugees would instead have remained peacefully in their homes, and the state of Palestine could in the year 2001 be celebrating the 53rd anniversary of its independence. Everything could have been sweetness and light, he contended, but here the Palestinians were, then a year into a deadly intifada, still stateless, still hostile, and still trying, he claimed, to push the Jews into the sea.

It was a common line but with a new and intriguing twist: what if the Palestinians had accepted partition; would they in fact have lived in a state at peace since 1948? It was enough to make the audience stop and think. But later in the talk, the speaker tripped himself up by claiming, in a tone of deep alarm, that Palestinian insistence on the right of return for Palestinian refugees displaced when Israel was created would spell the destruction of Israel as a Jewish state. He did not realize the inherent contradiction in his two assertions (until we later pointed it out to him, with no little glee). You cannot have it both ways, we told him: you cannot claim that, if Palestinians had not left the areas that became Israel in 1948, they would now be living peaceably, some inside and some alongside a Jewish-majority state, and then also claim that, if they returned now, Israel would lose its Jewish majority and its essential identity as a Jewish state.*

This exchange, and the massive propaganda effort by and on behalf of Israel to demonstrate the threat to Israel’s Jewish character posed by the Palestinians’ right of return, actually reveal the dirty little secret of Zionism."

Zionism represented the exact opposite; it wanted Jews to retain a culture of ghettoisation, but with the difference that the ghettoes would be moved from Europe to the Middle East and would acquire a form of legitimacy by means of making Judaism a nationality rather than simply a faith. The two main sources from which Zionism benefited were the settler movement in the so-called New World, and the racist theories of the 19th century.

The Zionist response to the culture of anti-Semitism, therefore, lay in identifying itself with the basis of that very culture through developing an ideology of hatred towards others and a culture of verbally and physically terrorizing anybody who disagreed with them. Zionists view themselves as the sole possessors of absolute truth; their interpretation of Jewish history has been sanctified to an extent that nobody may challenge their version of events. Their interpretation of Palestinian history must be accepted, they insist, as the only truth. They assert, for instance, that they returned to Palestine after 2,000 years as if this were a short trip from London to Paris, as if Palestinian history were frozen until they came "back," and as if Palestinians were expected to welcome them with roses. This made of Zionist thinking a Machiavellian mindset par excellence, a total fusion of myth and reality on the one hand but a total separation between politics and morality on the other. They want to steal Palestinian lands, they want to murder Palestinians, but they become hysterical at the slightest criticism. In this way Zionism defends itself against its critics with racist-based charges of anti-Semitism, purely because Zionists reserve for themselves the right to hide behind these theories which blame all others for an "unimaginable eternal Jewish suffering".

The sharpest example of this lies in the Zionist response to the concept of anti-Semitism. The natural response of the oppressed should be in developing a strong stance against all sorts of racism and discrimination. That is what we witnessed with the experience of the ANC in South Africa which, after the collapse of the white apartheid regime there, focused on the concept of opposing discrimination and promoting tolerance; this, naturally, is the response which one expects from those who have themselves been oppressed. The word tolerance, however, is one rarely found in Zionist literature, but then this is no surprise when one considers that the whole ideology is based on murder, theft and oppression and that its literature has been created to justify and rationalize this creed.

In reality, the Zionists have adopted the fascist culture of hate, replacing the Nazis ideology which demonized all Jews with an ideology which demonizes all others; in other word, it has become 'anti-other,' 'anti-non-Zionist' or 'anti-others who disagree.'

The benefit of this is clear; it puts the blame on the entire world for the oft-cited "eternal Jewish suffering."

READ MORE: http://www.palestinechronicle.com/old/v ... p?id=14851

Hence my dislike for Zionism, it doesn't matter how you dress it, Liberal or other...
Common... Talking about propoganda?

"In reality, the Zionists have adopted the fascist culture of hate, replacing the Nazis ideology which demonized all Jews with an ideology which demonizes all others; in other word, it has become 'anti-other,' 'anti-non-Zionist' or 'anti-others who disagree."

Falsely wrong... This is basically lack of knowledge/ignorance about Zionism..

"It was a common line but with a new and intriguing twist: what if the Palestinians had accepted partition; would they in fact have lived in a state at peace since 1948? It was enough to make the audience stop and think. "
Their leaders declined it several times before. There is not What If...

If it was the case then I guess we would have been in a different place by now...
Wrath_014, there are in fact pro / indifference toward Jewish independency. And those who oppose it. So what the article says is who make this definition is a Nazi. sigh..

But the inherent statement of this article is Arabs must fight Israel. Period. That means they don't control and are NOT responssible for what happen to them through the wars, since they they can't chose. Can't chose = De humanizition of Arabs. This is what pro-Palestinians actualy do. Saying only a Jew can chose, an Arab can't.

Now they felt stronger, they didn't want to lose territory- go ahead, but if you lose don't cry. And what Arabs do for 100 years is crying "this isn't fair". Blaming external forces for their current situation.

Now what creates and shapes the "palestinian" nationality is their artifitial isolation done by the Arab world, that oppress them and pushes them to wars with Israel. That what creates the big measery to these Arabs.

Remember also the other side- Arabs bloom in Israel. Have constant positive immigration into Israel, best status and growth. But hey, what is it worth if after a generation they suffer from the consequences of the wars and intiffadas they've initiated..

Anyway Jews are independed here. All Arabs can potentialy live good, also the Arabs who have been relocated in 48. But that doesn't depand on Israel, I fear. I can mainly take care for the security of my people, not to the quality of lives of Arabs. 10 years ago Arabs in WB and Gaza worked in Israel and moved freely. But since they've launched the second intiffadah slowly i've sheilded myself. I can't really makes their lives great, except for keeping their full bellys, but the rest is rather depands on Hamas and PLO.

I think that at the moment they will stop their negative obsession against us they will create better lives to themselves and to us. As long as Palestinians and Arabs are obsessively repeating they can't exist with us, the circle of wars will continue. As well as the circle of measery.

But that might mean that there will stop be any real context to be a "Palestinian", since they don't have any definition or a feeling beside being instead of Israel. At the moment Palestinian Arabs climatize in Jordan, they'll become just Jordanian Arabs. Just as that.

Zionism allowed Jews to be independed, and thats something I apritiated. And Arabs (including Arabs who suffered wars with us) could live good just at the second they will see us as friends. Just like that. And BTW- if many Arabs feel this should be part of their territory, or belonged to some tribes while Jews should be enslaved to them- they are anti-semetics indeed. And you see, they are anti-semetic in all the meanings. Not by a confusion between our independency and our nationality- this must be mixed.
Wrath_014 wrote:"Distinction must be made between Zionist Jews and Real Jews."
Real Jews?

You're missing the point here. Like every nation , there are people more to the right and some more to the left. But does that make them "Real"??

When the IAF used guided ammunition to target specific men that costs a lot?
You tend to forget that a lot.
What we have here is really just a common ploy of anti-semitica.
That is, to separate Jews into "Good/Real Jews" (antizionists); and 'Bad' Jews, the latter of whom support an/any Israel.

But the fact is the vast majority of Jews, including Einstein, support the Existence of Israel ("Zionists") if Not all it's policies.
Even, ie, Israelis who support say, a retreat to the 1967 borders are "Zionists".
ie, I believe Netanyahu is a disaster of peace and for Israel, but am a "zionist.
If the only Jews you like are the rare anti-zionists fruitcakes like Neturei Karta (aka Jewsnotzionists), or a few radical leftists crackpots, odds are you are a bigot. If you "Just hate" the 95% of Jews who support Israel's existence ("Zionists") the term of art would still apply.

In fact, those who use "Zionist" as an epithet (for "Greedy/Aggressive/Bad Jew"), or try and Load the word with other nefarious meaning, are really just outing themselves.
I wouldn't even call this "new antisemitism" as much as Simple word substitution; ie, "Zionist Bankers" when we know they mean the Old 'Jewish Bankers' who may of may not even support Israel in a significant way.

-
-
Last edited by abu afak on 20 May 2013 23:18, edited 15 times in total.
Brother of Karl wrote:Historically, the labor party has been much more open to negotiating with land in order to achieve peace, and the Likkud party isn't willing to give up much of anything to appease non-Jews.

In the early 1990s, Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin was in the middle of negotiations with Yassar Arafat to give Palestinians national sovereignty in Gaza. Rabin was assassinated (by a far right wing Jewish political activist) before the agreement could be completed.

In fact, Einstein was given a chance to be the second president of Israel in 1952, but he declined because he didn't feel that he would make a good president.

Put into account that Einstein was a lefty, so much that the FBI tracked his ass. He also was openly against racism, joined the NAACP. And he declined because he didn't want to deal with human beings, not because he thought he was going to be a bad president. Take into account what you said about lefties... I doubt he was going to be a happy camper with representing Jews living on ethnically cleansed land.
jessupjonesjnr87 wrote:
Yeah well "Eretz Tzion" is in Uganda. So why are the Zionists in Palestine??

*Facepalm*

Do you know what's the meaning of Tzion???

Do you know the Palestine wasn't the original name, do you? It was the brittish pronunciation of phalashtina as in Syria - Phalashtina (Roman's name for this land).
This is all very interesting.

I think that many...myself often included...equate the term "Zionist" with the militant and arrogant portion of the Jewish people who's stance is...somewhat militant and uncompromising. The problem is, these people seem to be setting the agenda for Israel. And people like this continuously get to power over there. And since we hear you guys always saying how "democratic" Israel is...we must assume the majority of Israelis are also militant, arrogant pricks as well.

Yet those we might consider "moderate" Zionists...show us they are willing to go to any lengths in order to defend and justify the Zionist agenda of racial cleansing.

So "Zionist" has become the "catch-all" term for these people.
Zionism is Jewish independency. Period. All other terms: "zionism is thnic cleansing, zionism is wars with Arabs" - half of this tango is what Arabs created by their free will. Yes I think they are humans with free will and free choices, and they've chosen things but don't understand they chose. probobly with lots of logics since they also wants territory. But Zionism is just living of Jews here. Wars are not necessary. If they are- than say that: "Arab independency = ethnic cleansing". Just be fair
LehmanB wrote:Zionism is Jewish independency. Period. All other terms: "zionism is thnic cleansing, zionism is wars with Arabs" - this is what Arabs created, probobly with lots of logics since they also wants territory. But Zionism is just living of Jews here. Wars are not necessary. If they are- than say that: "Arab independency = ethnic cleansing". Just be fair

Jewish independence?
Are you not independent already?

By "Arab" I assume you mean Palestinian?
If so, then OK I can buy that, as I'd have to say that most Palestinians probably have gotten to the point where all they want is to see all Jewish Israelis...dead.

Yet LehmanB, there is nothing "fair" about the entire situation...is there...
Were it "fair", there would be no settlements...and the Palestinians would be able to build and have ready access to clean water.

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/uk[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]