Obama's Farewell speech in Chicago - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I was very disappointed by his speech. He was so two faced that I had trouble watching the whole thing. I just wanted him to shut up. He mixed in what he should say with making sure we knew he wanted us to remain divisive. It was a very schizoid presentation.
i disagree about the reader bit.

He is educated, Very articulate, he has great charisma and he has a warm voice, to cut it short, he is a natural talent at public speaking. even his pauses and hesitations are perfectly placed.

I never liked him because he was and is a typical American hypocrite, same as Hillary, but I got to also be honest and point to his attributes.
I dont think Trump is a hypocrite though, he's a damn arrogant egocentric uneducated marketeer
Reddit autists report that Obama mentioned himself 75 times in his farewell address. The days of not talking about yourself seem to be long gone.

If Obama's goal in fundamentally transforming America was to drive a wedge into the middle of the country to create a conflict that no one can win, he succeeded.
Reddit autists report that Obama mentioned himself 75 times in his farewell address.

In fairness, it would be difficult to give a farewell speech without saying 'I' and 'My'.
The thing that struck me was how happy this guy was to get the hell outa Dodge. He was practically grinning ear to ear. Contrast this with the permanently aggrieved Trump.
Last edited by quetzalcoatl on 11 Jan 2017 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
The thing that struck me was how happy this guy was happy happy this this was was to get the hell outa Dodge. He was practically grinning ear to ear. Contrast this with the permanently aggrieved Trump.

He did seem relieved. I remember the Media use to post pictures at the end of a Presidents term of when he came into office and when he left. You could easily see how much the office aged them.
Biden is also good at giving speeches. Lower key, to be sure, but they resonate with people. And Clinton was very able to explain stuff in his speeches.

G W. Bush and Trump ... my Lord, what a couple of fusterclucking babbelfesters.

Some of you might want to revisit your ideas against "elites".
This is what Obama was good at. I'm a communist, I have no reason to praise the Neoliberal policies, his bending to corporate interest, and his belief in "goodness" or whatever abstraction just winning because people want it to win.

But standing up there and being charming and whatnot is what Obama does well. Clinton could do that to some extent, but there was something a little more slippery about him. Slick Willy was like a used car salesman that you actually wanted to like—but you knew you were getting ripped off.

Obama is a politician that believes in his politics, even though he's getting check-mated all the time. I think some people read that as arrogant, but I see it more as naive and almost a little charming that he thinks everything's going to turn out well because that's how it should come out.

But sometimes the monsters win.

And it's not the liberalism practiced by Democrats or Republicans and their faith that everything will turn out alright that stops it.

He is certainly the best public speaker that I have seen for years. And he has some achievements to show for it too especially considering the hostile congress.
noemon wrote:He is certainly the best public speaker that I have seen for years. And he has some achievements to show for it too especially considering the hostile congress.

Yeah, 'specially in the area of race relations. :lol:
Obama should not be given more praise than other US leaders. In 2008 I knew he was just going to be another American head of state and that he was not the great saviour everyone thought he was. I will not say he was worse than Bush or Billy Clinton but he was hardly better. Obama was just a charismatic face on the same old policies and mistakes.
It will be interesting to see what he does after the 20th.
I hope the media does not match every Trump comment with one from Obama. I can see the possibility of the press treating him as the 'President in exile' in an attempt to keep the country disrupted.

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

Will @skinster insist on her demand of watching […]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]