Trump relaxes US policy on Middle East two-state solution - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Trump relaxes US policy on Middle East two-state solution

US President Donald Trump has dropped decades of US policy insisting on a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

At a news conference with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu, Mr Trump promised to deliver a "great" peace deal, but said both sides must compromise.

The Israelis and Palestinians have had no substantive peace talks since 2014.

In the conference, Mr Trump also asked his visitor to "hold back" on settlement building for "a little bit".

Israel has approved thousands of new homes in West Bank and East Jerusalem settlements since Mr Trump took office last month.
Embassy issue

The Israeli government is hoping for better relations with the White House after eight years of friction with the former Obama administration.

At Wednesday's press conference, neither leader committed explicitly to back a future independent Palestine, a longstanding bedrock of US policy.

"So I'm looking at two states and one state," said Mr Trump. "And I like the one that both parties like. I'm very happy with the one that both parties like.

"I can live with either one. I thought for a while that two states looked like it may be the easier of the two.

"To be honest, if Bibi [Mr Netanyahu] and the Palestinians, if Israel and the Palestinians are happy - I'm happy with the one they like the best."
He said it would ultimately be up to the parties themselves to reach a peace agreement.

Mr Trump was also asked about his election promise to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which could have serious implications for any peace negotiations.

"As far as the embassy moving to Jerusalem, I'd love to see that happen," Mr Trump said.

"And we're looking at it very, very strongly. We're looking at it with a great care, a great care, believe me. And we'll see what happens."

When he was asked about a two-state solution, Mr Netanyahu said he wanted to focus on "substance" and not "labels".
"There are two prerequisites for peace," said the Israeli prime minister. "First the Palestinians must recognise the Jewish state.

"Second, in any peace agreement, Israel must retain the overriding security control over the entire area west of the Jordan River."

Meanwhile the Palestinian presidency stressed its commitment to a two-state solution and an end to the Israeli occupation, Reuters news agency reported. Earlier officials had urged the White House not to abandon the concept of a Palestinian state.

The presidency said it was ready to "deal positively" with the Trump administration, and agreed with Mr Trump's call for Israel to hold off on settlement building.

It was the US and Israeli leaders' first face-to-face meeting since Mr Trump's victory in the 2016 presidential election.

A retreat from US backing for a two-state solution would upend decades of American - and international - policy embraced by Republican and Democratic administrations.
On Tuesday, a senior White House official signalled a potential policy shift by saying peace did not necessarily have to entail Palestinian statehood, and that Mr Trump would not try to "dictate" a solution.

More than 600,000 Jews live in about 140 settlements built since Israel's 1967 occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem - land Palestinians claim for a future state.

The settlements are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.

Travelling with Netanyahu - Gidi Kleiman, BBC Middle East producer

A relatively large group of journalists followed Mr Netanyahu from Israel to cover his first meeting with President Trump. A lot was at stake, especially after the eight years of the strained relations with the Obama administration.

Ahead of the meeting, the general sentiment among them concerned the lack of clarity on how the meeting between the two leaders would go. Whether they will get along and mostly what will be said on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution, a formula which has been a long-term tenet of US and Israeli policy.

Waiting in the East Room for the press conference, journalists were filing reports, posting on social media and also getting their selfies taken with White House insignias. So did Israeli officials.

The two leaders entered the room, and as very warm words were exchanged, it looked like the turning of a page in the relationship between the two countries.

But perhaps it was also another turning point, departing from the two-state solution formula, a term they avoided using. Their confidence gave the impression that some sort of regional deal is perhaps already being explored with moderate Arab countries. The journalists were left guessing how this will play out or, as Trump put it, "we will see".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38987028

New policies, new views.
Let's see what new solutions can be found.
All those who have complained about American imperialism, intervention, inference and domination will be pleased by this move. Trump has shown great and wise humility in allowing the powers of the region to sort it out amongst themselves rather than this America knows best that characterised earlier administrations.
So the no solution solution?

Basically the USA is giving them what they want. Complete annexation of Palestine. By pretty much ignoring Israeli settlements. It gives no choice for the world to accept Israeli claim on the region. This was the whole plan of the settlements. Is to basically take over West Bank with settlers and the Palestinian Authority loses legitimacy.
Last edited by The American Lion on 16 Feb 2017 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mischief_Managed_05 wrote:It is a correct move diplomatically.. unlike earlier stance USA government has shown it's commitment towards UN policy of non interference and has allowed parties to that region to resolve the issue through dialogue and mutual understanding.

Zionists don't work with dialogue or mutual understanding. Zionists want West Bank and Jerusalem.
The American Lion wrote:
Zionists don't work with dialogue or mutual understanding. Zionists want West Bank and Jerusalem.

I agree to that Sir, but internal conflict of a country or region must be resolved by parties to that conflict. International interference may escalate the issue
The American Lion wrote:Zionists don't work with dialogue or mutual understanding. Zionists want West Bank and Jerusalem.

Most Arabs want everything, from the river to the sea.
Those that would agree with a Palestinian state on the West Bank and Gaza also want the return of millions of refugees into Israel proper. And in the wings, several armed groups of terrorists that will continue to fight the State of Israel, be it big or small.
Until the hatred and the incitement stops, there will be no peace.
Under those circumstances, Israel has very limited realistic choices.
Zechariah 12:1-10 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The burden of the word of the Lord concerning Israel.

Thus declares the Lord who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him, “Behold, I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that causes reeling to all the peoples around; and when the siege is against Jerusalem, it will also be against Judah. It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured. And all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it. In that day,” declares the Lord, “I will strike every horse with bewilderment and his rider with madness. But I will watch over the house of Judah, while I strike every horse of the peoples with blindness. Then the clans of Judah will say in their hearts, ‘A strong support for us are the inhabitants of Jerusalem through the Lord of hosts, their God.’

“In that day I will make the clans of Judah like a firepot among pieces of wood and a flaming torch among sheaves, so they will consume on the right hand and on the left all the surrounding peoples, while the inhabitants of Jerusalem again dwell on their own sites in Jerusalem. The Lord also will save the tents of Judah first, so that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem will not be magnified above Judah. In that day the Lord will defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the one who is feeble among them in that day will be like David, and the house of David will be like God, like the angel of the Lord before them. And in that day I will [g]set about to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

“I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn. "
Netanyahu prefers to maintain the status-Quo: Autonomy to the Arabs.

Israel can easily annex it, with good arguments. Plus, the Arabs prefer Israeli rule. It afraids Arabs become 30% instead of 18% of Israelli population though.

An independed state to Arabs inside Israel is impossible.

Since both quick solutions are bad, Israel prefers to maintain the status quo.

Netanyahu builds only in restricted existing Jews areas, and very few house units. Israel doesn't break the balance, yet likes soft sprawl and waits to see further developments. Perhaps in 20 years the time will come to annex it.

These games makes everyone angry. But- the Palestinians also refuses to any country suggested, or talks, under plenty of excuses the territories Israel offers aren't big enough. They are compramising on the amount of resources Israel gives. This is the trade. The Arabs (including the Palestinians) prefer a constant struggle and no 'solutions' or compramizing.

So its not hard for Israel to maintain the Status Quo when both are interested in it.

Trump is wise enough to go back to Bill Clinton's path where it all should be through negotiation of the sides, not forcing a formula.

I am worried there might be no magic solutions in the middle east, nor peace. Israel needs to buy time- and grow demographicaly and economicaly.
Gazans are Egyptians. It contained a large Jewish community till the pogroms of 1929; and didnt have a large Arab population before the 1850's (Muhammad Ali occupation from the Ottmans) and their population is different than the levantin Arabs in the rest of Israel. And they see themeslves as Egyptians.
Gaza won't co exist with Israel either IMO. And around 100% of them wants to immigrate to Egypt. But hey, perhaps they will be Singapore, I don't mind. :lol:
LehmanB wrote:Gazans are Egyptians. It contained a large Jewish community till the pogroms of 1929; and didnt have a large Arab population before the 1850's (Muhammad Ali occupation from the Ottmans) and their population is different than the levantin Arabs in the rest of Israel. And they see themeslves as Egyptians.
Gaza won't co exist with Israel either IMO. And around 100% of them wants to immigrate to Egypt. But hey, perhaps they will be Singapore, I don't mind. :lol:

Large jewish population.? really what do you define as large?

And what are your sources for such a claim?
The 2-state solution is dead and good. Now it's just one-state with Jews experience privileges while non-Jews live with less rights (in Israel proper), restrictions (in the West Bank) and imprisonment (in Gaza). Israel has always been one state, an apartheid state at that.

In other news, the BDS gains lately have been excellent. :D
skinster wrote:The 2-state solution is dead and good. Now it's just one-state with Jews experience privileges while non-Jews live with less rights (in Israel proper), restrictions (in the West Bank) and imprisonment (in Gaza). Israel has always been one state, an apartheid state at that.

The Zionists in government are war criminals..

The crime of Apartheid is defined by the 2002 Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court as inhumane acts of a character similar to other crimes against humanity "committed in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over any other racial group or groups and committed with the intention of maintaining that regime."

On November 30, 1973, the United Nations General Assembly opened for signature and ratification the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid. It defined the crime of apartheid as "inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them."

wiki

Sure, the advocates of fascism (or wholism as I[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Saw an article about this story earlier in the mo[…]

@Godstud " blowjobs" You are like […]

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]