How BIG Is God? - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Godstud
No thank you. I'd rather not waste time on religion. I have more than enough understanding of Christianity.

If you know so much, explain that, but in YOUR words, without using any stupid biblical quotes. I know this'll be more than enough to silence you, since you can't form your own opinion. :D
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:No thank you. I'd rather not waste time on religion. I have more than enough understanding of Christianity.

If you know so much, explain that, but in YOUR words, without using any stupid biblical quotes. I know this'll be more than enough to silence you, since you can't form your own opinion. :D

Not only do you lack understanding, you are content in your ignorance.
There is no way to help a person like you. That is my opinion.
By Godstud
I don't need to listen to the childish interpretations of a book from an old man who takes a book full of metaphors and parables to be literal truths. :knife:

Sorry, I'm far to educated to be taking the bible as factual, and far too intelligent to waste my time reading fictitious accounts of a mythical god. Besides, you just spam your fucking bible all the time, so I see enough of it's stupidity plastered all over these boards.

I don't NEED your help. I'm an adult who can be a good person without needing a rulebook with threats of hellfire and damnation, to keep me that way.

Fuck your god.

:)
By ingliz
The Hebrew and Greek words that are used merely mean "a great aquatic animal."

Fish!!!

NB. Jonah 1:17 was originally written in Hebrew -> Jonah 1:17 was God inspired -> God inspired the Hebrews to write דָּ֣ג (tr. fish) twice in Jonah 1:17.

:roll:
Last edited by ingliz on 01 May 2017 07:37, edited 2 times in total.
By Besoeker
ingliz wrote:Fish!

Jonah 1:17 was originally written in Hebrew -> Jonah 1:17 was God inspired -> God inspired the Hebrews to write דָּ֣ג (tr. fish) twice in Jonah 1:17.

:roll:

Yes, but I don't think the text can be taken literally.
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:I don't need to listen to the childish interpretations of a book from an old man who takes a book full of metaphors and parables to be literal truths. :knife:

Sorry, I'm far to educated to be taking the bible as factual, and far too intelligent to waste my time reading fictitious accounts of a mythical god. Besides, you just spam your fucking bible all the time, so I see enough of it's stupidity plastered all over these boards.

I don't NEED your help. I'm an adult who can be a good person without needing a rulebook with threats of hellfire and damnation, to keep me that way.

Fuck your god.

You seem poorly educated, in my opinion.
By Godstud
You seem simple and senile. My opinion.
By ingliz
Yes, but I don't think the text can be taken literally.

Neither do I.

I was just pointing to a problem with the literalists' God inspired God's truth Bible.

Namely, that if the text is taken literally, both verses cannot be true.

Sea monsters with tits are not fish.

Progress?

Hindsite wrote:It does not matter whether it was a whale shark or sea monster or any other kind of sea creature that swallowed Jonah. All you need to know is that God prepared this whatever it was to do the Lord's bidding"

Perhaps.

By Besoeker
ingliz wrote:Neither do I.

I was just pointing to a problem with the literalists' God inspired God's truth Bible.

Progress?

Perhaps.

Perhaps not. He refuses to acknowledge that there contradictions and inconsitencies is his chosen book.
Not to mention impossibilities.
By JohnRawls
The Holy Bible says that there is a time coming when God will prevent all evil. But we must wait until a certain number of believers have been killed.

@Hindsite

So at best you are saying god is capricious and at worst malevolent? Isn't that a contradiction to your belief?
By ingliz
Revelation

Of the genre, this one is fun. The Apocalypse of Peter is a vision of the torments of Hell.

"But the milk of the women running down from their breasts and congealing shall engender small flesh eating beasts: and these run up upon them and devour them."

:eek:
By Hindsite
ingliz wrote:Neither do I.

Progress?

Perhaps.

Why can't the Holy Bible be literal and symbolic at the same time?
I believe God is big enough to include it all.
JohnRawls wrote:
@Hindsite

So at best you are saying god is capricious and at worst malevolent? Isn't that a contradiction to your belief?

Use simple language, please. I am only a simple man.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
By Godstud
Hindsite wrote:Why can't the Holy Bible be literal and symbolic at the same time?
Because these two things contradict each other. :knife:

Symbolic: serving as a symbol.
Symbol: A thing that represents or stands for something else, especially a material object representing something abstract.

Abstract: Not based on a particular instance; theoretical.
Literal: taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.

Contradict: deny the truth of (a statement), especially by asserting the opposite, or be in conflict with.

Can you see now, why?

Most Christians understand that the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, and is mostly symbolic, except for a few details that are clearly stated(like the golden rule and the 10 commandments).

Hindsite wrote:Use simple language, please. I am only a simple man.
I'll help the simple man with the 160IQ(according to him) :lol:

Capricious: given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

Malevolent: having or showing a wish to do evil to others.

If all else fails, https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ is your friend.
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:Is creation in six days literal or symbolic?

Creation in six days is both literal and symbolic.

Each creation day is a literal 24 hour day.

However, the seven day period is symbolic of God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments in establishing a week of 7 days, with the 7th day being a Sabbath day of rest and worship for man to remember God and the creation.

The Fourth Commandment Exodus 20:8-11

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

Godstud wrote: Because these two things contradict each other. :knife:

Symbolic: serving as a symbol.
Symbol: A thing that represents or stands for something else, especially a material object representing something abstract.

Abstract: Not based on a particular instance; theoretical.
Literal: taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.

Contradict: deny the truth of (a statement), especially by asserting the opposite, or be in conflict with.

Can you see now, why?

Most Christians understand that the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, and is mostly symbolic, except for a few details that are clearly stated(like the golden rule and the 10 commandments).

I'll help the simple man with the 160IQ(according to him) :lol:

Capricious: given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

Malevolent: having or showing a wish to do evil to others.

If all else fails, https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/ is your friend.

Thanks for the upgrade in IQ. It may be that high now for I haven't had an IQ test since 1964 when it was only 127 or 129.

Can't you see that the six creation days are just as real as the six days of the week that man is told to work as it symbolizes?
Can't you see that the day after the creation symbolizes the day that we are to rest and worship our Creator God?

Neither of those definitions apply to God, because the Holy Bible states that the Lord does not change and that He desires that all men come to the knowledge of the truth to obtain eternal life.

(John 3:16 KJV)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
By Ter
ingliz wrote:Of the genre, this one is fun. The Apocalypse of Peter is a vision of the torments of Hell.

"But the milk of the women running down from their breasts and congealing shall engender small flesh eating beasts: and these run up upon them and devour them."

:eek:

That is why it is better, in case one must consider any of this, to restrict oneself only to the old testament, i.e. the real bible. There is a lot of "begat" and "knew her" in it, but not so much of what sounds like Hieronymus Bosch scenes.
By Godstud
Hindsite wrote:Can't you see that the six creation days are just as real as the six days of the week that man is told to work as it symbolizes God working?
Can't you see that the day after the creation symbolizes the day that we are to rest and worship our Creator God?
Yes, SYMBOLIC, not LITERAL.

6 days is symbolic. It's not literally 6 days, but humans 2000 years ago probably couldn't even fathom what "billions" meant, so they put it in symbolic terms for the simpletons of the time.

You are contradicting yourself. You're taking a "story" with "symbolism" and trying to make it "fact" and "literal". This is why no one is agreeing with you, and why you sound so stupid when trying use symbolism to explain facts.

Evolution is not symbolic. Evolution co-exists just fine with Christian creation as long as you don't take your bible literal, instead of symbolic.

Metaphors, which the bible uses a lot, are NOT literal truths. Parables are meant to tell a tale with a moral, and not to be taken literally.

The Good Samaritan story is meant to represent anyone, not simply Samaritans, right? Symbolic.

If you take the bible as symbolic and meant to tell you how to live a good life, and not explain why water boils, it's fine. When you try to mix modern science into it, the bible starts to look dumb. The Bible isn't meant to do that.

You live your life by the bible, right? Yet you're using a computer. It's scientific. It's explanations don't contradict Christianity any more than Evolution does.

Let's reason this out a bit...
God created the world, according to the Bible. His days were represented as 6 days for the creation of the world/universe, etc. A day is an earth term for 24 hours. This is the rotation of the earth.

Now, why would a god that is ageless, timeless and all powerful constrain himself to 6 earth days for creation? The universe is immense, and intricately complex. Why assume a god would not take some real time to create everything, instead of slap dashing it all together in a way earthlings would understand?

DNA is a fact. That god made DNA, could be said. Science is not in the business of philosophizing. Science deals with the tangible.

Evolution is real. It's fact. There is evidence of this. Creation of the universe/world by God? Possible. There's no evidence of this, so science doesn't try to even theorize.

Could god have created DNA, molecular biology, etc., and used Evolution to make man over millions of years? Perfectly plausible, but impossible to prove, so science doesn't worry about "creation" beyond what it can observe and test.

If you're a Christian, the world and the universe that god made, are impossibly complex and practically infinite.

Evolution doesn't disprove the bible or god. If anything it might reinforce the fact that he's even more powerful than people can imagine, and thinks in terms humans can't begin to comprehend, so we simplify.

If there's a god, he made man and the universe over billions of years. A universe so mind-bogglingly complex, that it's unfathomable to a human. Put that in 3 sentences at the beginning of a bible made 2000+ years ago, and try to have people understand it. Could you? No. So it's symbolic.

Are you getting the gist of what I am saying? They didn't even know about molecules 2000 years ago, let alone DNA, so explaining the world from a scientific view, when there were no true sciences, to ignorant primitives, would have been fool-hardy, and impossible.
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:Yes, SYMBOLIC, not LITERAL.

6 days is symbolic. It's not literally 6 days, but humans 2000 years ago probably couldn't even fathom what "billions" meant, so they put it in symbolic terms for the simpletons of the time.

'Day' in Genesis 1: easy to understand

By Besoeker
Hindsite wrote:Creation in six days is both literal and symbolic.

Each creation day is a literal 24 hour day.

However, the seven day period is symbolic of God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments in establishing a week of 7 days, with the 7th day being a Sabbath day of rest and worship for man to remember God and the creation.

So, if the 7th day is symbolic the creation perion, it might not actually have been a literal seven days.
Thanks for confirming what most of us think.

I got my results: https://moralfoundations.github[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]