The plight of the Uyghur people.... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.

I always buy their beautiful Spicy Lamb BBQ Skewers here by the handful during Chinese New Year. They are beautiful skewers. The Ugyurs usually have a stall or two at CNY celebrations in Melbourne.

Yet another cultural-minority genocide being committed by the CCP on the basis of primarily religious "we hate Muslims, especially the ones living here for centuries" persecution.
I ate at a Uighur BBQ restaurant tonight, here where I'm currently sat in East China.

They carve up the sheep on the street in front of the restaurant. The last time I went there, a few days ago, I asked one of the guys (in Chinese) how many sheep they butcher on a normal night, and he said three.

I do care about this issue, and I watched the video. I've known a few Uighur guys. One of them, I worked with in a cannery in Alaska.

That guy in the video is a quintessential douche bag though. He was difficult to watch. But I still watched.

There's not much to be done on this, though. The Chinese central government is too powerful.

I don't agree with this destruction of Uighur culture. I'm probably committing crimes against the state with this very message.

But I'm just a dumb foreigner.

Too be sure, there are too sides to almost every coin (unless it's a one-sided coin, I suppose).

There was that attack at a train station a few years ago, when a group of people (there were women among them) murdered 17 people with long-knives.

That probably helped bring the hammer down.

But what am I supposed to say?

No person of conscience likes to see people mistreated by the state. The feeling here is that of powerlessness--a feeling I've become used to in my political life (including US wars in the Middles East, and also this, etc.).
colliric wrote:I always buy their beautiful Spicy Lamb BBQ Skewers here by the handful during Chinese New Year. They are fucken beautiful skewers. The Ugyurs usually have a stall or two at CNY celebrations in Melbourne.

Yet another cultural-minority genocide being committed by the CCP on the basis of primarily religious "we hate Muslims, especially the ones living here for centuries" persecution. Fuck the CCP.

There's really nothing you can do. My suggestions is to see if there's a way you can make money off this cultural genocide.

Wow.. I just realized I'm an asshole. :hmm:

Seriously though... What can really be done? The party leaders have control of the guns, the money, and many people.
colliric wrote:Yet another cultural-minority genocide being committed by the CCP on the basis of primarily religious "we hate Muslims, especially the ones living here for centuries" persecution.

Yeah, but Muslims are really the very last people who can complain about cultural genocide, aren't they? Hasn't their religion inflicted cultural genocide everywhere everywhere it is found?
Truth To Power wrote:Yeah, but Muslims are really the very last people who can complain about cultural genocide, aren't they? Hasn't their religion inflicted cultural genocide everywhere everywhere it is found?

Sure, but to be REALLY fair. Cultural genocide is a part of humanity as a whole. We've been doing this to each other for thousands upon thousands of years.

Once could argue, culture wars are fair game for all. :eek:
@Truth To Power

Islam has literally assimilated into every single culture it has come into contact with which is why Islam is so diverse in the first place. Iran still has traditions that have remained for centuries before Islam even existed and they're still here today. India is similar and so is Central Asia, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, etc.

You probably can't even tell me the five pillars of Islam off the top of your head. You don't even know basic Islamic history. You're speaking directly from ignorance.
Islamic revivalism has a price in totalitarian societies. The Chinese are also pre-empting the Pakistanis, House of Saud, Iranians and even the Turks by neutralizing the Uighur threat. The Chinese probably seek to prevent an upsurge in militancy amongst the Uighur, possibly due to infiltration by ISI associated Uighur rebels in Pakistan. They saw what the Pakistanis did to Afghanistan (the Taliban were a Pakistani creation) and know the threat of Islamist militancy.

The Pakistani could use all the leverage they can get thanks to the Chinese debt trap they're in because of the Belt and Road initiative.
Libertarian353 wrote:@colliric

You're confusing. You supported a president who literally argues for and failing to attempt CCP persecution of Muslims in the west; yet you somehow a SJW when China does this?

I've been a supporter of the Kuomintang and the ROC for decades now and I've stated it publically many times.

Also I've met Ugyur personally, they have a small community here in Melbourne.

Although Muslims, they are also Chinese and they are a very peaceful people. Have you ever heard of a Uyghur suicide bomber? No you haven't.... They are peaceful Muslims.
Libertarian353 wrote:@colliric So are Muslims in America, I see no reason why you decry injustice there and not from your end?

The Australian Government is not killing Muslims whom have lived here for maybe a millennium....

CCP kills dissidents on a large scale still and you know it.
They call their Chinese Province "East Turkestan".
We can see where this is going.
Separatism.
I fully support the Chinese Authorities acting pro-actively to destroy those separatist ambitions in the bud. Same same in Myanmar, same same in South Thailand, same same in Mindanao in the Phillipines.
Only China has the guts to do something about it.
Long live China !
Long Live the squashing of Muslim separatism !
:excited: :D

If anyone wants to show an example of the IDF and […]

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]

Candace Owens

She has, and to add gravitas to what she has said[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspirac[…]