Is Nationalism Racism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Drlee
Sometimes. Not necessarily. Nationalists in the US, decrying immigration from Central America, Africa and the Middle East are frequently racist. Or bigoted. Take your pick.

I am an America First-er but I do not blame America's problems on minorities nor do I want to exclude them over some idiotic notion that they are "polluting" our culture.
By Albert
Drlee wrote:Sometimes. Not necessarily. Nationalists in the US, decrying immigration from Central America, Africa and the Middle East are frequently racist. Or bigoted. Take your pick.

I am an America First-er but I do not blame America's problems on minorities nor do I want to exclude them over some idiotic notion that they are "polluting" our culture.
What is an American nation? How would you define it to recognize it?

Nationalism is not a white man's problem. Korean nationalism is tantamount to anti-Japanese racism and as ugly and putrid as white nationalism. But it goes both ways on the Japanese side, especially when it comes to the alt-right in Japan. The situation was quite similar in the Balkans in the early 1990s, when Serbian nationalism led to ethnic cleansing after the Soviet troops left the region. The peace is barely kept in East Asia because of the presence of US troops in both countries, which prevents Asian nationalists from getting out of control. Recently, a K-pop band member was photographed with an anti-Japanese t-shirt celebrating the atomic bombing, which seems to be quite normal in Korean culture.

BTS, a massively popular K-pop group, may have just alienated a giant fan contingent in Japan.

The controversy started when BTS member Jimin wore a t-shirt favorably depicting images of atomic bombs being dropped on Japan at the end of World War II. That image is complemented by words celebrating the subsequent liberation of Korea.

Korea, both North and South, shares a fraught history with Japan. The country imposed heavy-handed colonial rule over the region up until its defeat in WWII, and relations are oftentimes tense. Those memories are indeed fresh in the minds of many Koreans, with cross-border hatred frequently popping up.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/1 ... omic-bomb/
ThirdTerm wrote:Nationalism is not a white man's problem. Korean nationalism is tantamount to anti-Japanese racism and as ugly and putrid as white nationalism. But it goes both ways on the Japanese side, especially when it comes to the alt-right in Japan. The situation was quite similar in the Balkans in the early 1990s, when Serbian nationalism led to ethnic cleansing after the Soviet troops left the region. The peace is barely kept in East Asia because of the presence of US troops in both countries, which prevents Asian nationalists from getting out of control. Recently, a K-pop band member was photographed with an anti-Japanese t-shirt celebrating the atomic bombing, which seems to be quite normal in Korean culture.

Yeah, I had Korean exchange students living under me when I was host-parent. They really don't like the Chinese or the Japanese, and the feelings are mutual, per my Chinese students.

I share your concerns with those peoples regarding their nationalism; especially since they do not seem to have the same deeply entrenched concept of natural rights as derived from a Christian worldview. They have a very different view of the value of human life which very much lends itself to dehumanized the "other."

I am generalizing of course, but if the American cowboys ever left the region, I fear that the Samurai would go on a rampage to restore their sense of pride.
Drlee wrote:Sometimes. Not necessarily. Nationalists in the US, decrying immigration from Central America, Africa and the Middle East are frequently racist. Or bigoted. Take your pick.

That also appears to be a problem with #NeverTrump folks, like the man who decided to go and kill a bunch of Jews at a synagogue or the guy who shot at a bunch of Republicans at a softball practice, nearly killing Steve Scalise.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yuval Noah Harari about MAGA​: https://youtu.be/W[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbl_6RDhkM :D […]