Is social media ripping society apart? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Family Court systems worldwide have also sabotaged the family unit by giving absolutely everything automatically to the woman because "the man looks slightly upset at how he's being treated.... Oh my gosh he must be an angry man 100% of the time, and not angry because of the injustice we are doing to him ripping him out of his own Young impressionable child's life"

Psychiatry and government(because Child Abuse is getting worse government is finally acting at attempted reform of the family court and DCP systems) ironically is expected to deal with the fallout that systematic destruction of the male patriarchal role and destruction of the man's financial, mental and spiritual well-being perpetrated by the family court.
If anything the family court system is ripping society apart more than social media by directly attacking the family like Orwell predicted when he wrote about organisations that did the exact opposite of what their name suggested.
It is damaging society, but no more than the breakdown in the traditional family unit which is the number one cause of the ghastly crime statistics and poverty levels in African American communities for example. 70%-80% of children are born to single parent households.

Anyway, all that aside, I do know people who basically live on Twitter and Facebook. What this does to their psychological health long term is anybody's guess. I would say it is going to have a negative impact on their lives overall. Women and girls are going to be particularly affected, as these platforms have become another outlet for approval/attention seeking. I find women tend to post photos of themselves or update their statuses far more often than men and tend to stare at their phones much more even when engaged in direct social activities out in public.

Forums, Online chat, even skype video calls are terrible replacements for genuine human contact, and they have started to interfere with interpersonal relations when people are sitting next to one another. Many of my friends and acquaintances have become zombified, checking their phones every minute for a facebook messenger update while we're sitting at a cafe talking. I have two friends who basically live on the internet, we used to hang out and now, despite living within 10 mins drive the two of them never leave the house. They seem to be descending into some kind of withdrawal/depression.

Facebook will make Hermits/socioeconomic invalids of an entire generation. They won't be able to leave the house without being offended by the temperature outside-and there aren't enough Patreon pity bucks to go around for professional victims angry at the world outside.
skinster wrote:And what do you think about 4chan, Igor?

I know you're asking Igor, but that's a casual forum site even more casual than Pofo.

There is a hierarchy to these things and casual forums rank lower than others.

I can live without Pofo if I choose, and I already live without Facebook... But many I know would "die inside" if Facebook went bankrupt.

Binge television watching is terrible too. The Idiot Box was already bad enough with addictive Video Games added(as much as we all loved Nintendo and Sega).... to it let alone "full season bingeathons... " And the 22 episodes aren't 40mins without the ads, they're full hour long.

Remember this:

One of the best social commentary scenes from Groening's creation.
skinster wrote:And what do you think about 4chan, Igor?

A zero compulsion pump and dump den of hilarity where the occasional real world event is organized. Very few who post on 4chan/8chan (even among the grand wizard Autists) are zombified by social media to the extent that facebook users are. They don't engage in slacktivism, they go out there and take physical action.

There is no compulsion to go back to 4chan every day, because the thread you posted in yesterday is gone. It's a dynamic image board with limited space on the catalog, recent popular posts cause others to be deleted. Conservation of threads and information is not a thing. You go there occasionally to see what new memes have been born and where to find Shia labeoufs 'he will not divide us' flag so it can be torn down.

It's great entertainment. Facebook, Twitter-that shallow shit is not entertaining. Only on 4chan can you find hilarious stuff like this aplenty (right click view for full size):

The kids addiction to TV in that episode of the Simpsons was beautifully portrayed. The later sad reprise is even better.

Ironically Marge is kind-of the SJW of that episode. Changes interesting shit and makes it "politically correct for the sake of the kids watching" ultimately ruining it's appeal to it's target audience. But the scene is great because it portrays how boring PC media unintentionally inspires people to switch it off and go outside and play(something actually good for them). The reprise actually laments TV(and Social Media) becoming interesting again.
I am never on facebook or on twitter. I don't like that.

PoFo and ocassional chatting online with friends is all I do. The rest of the time I am old fashioned and read very long books and magazines and think a lot.

I love alone time doing nothing. A lost art form.

I am seriously considering just getting rid of computers, televisions, cell phones and all that shit. I never check my phone. People criticize me for it. I hate phones, puters, tvs, most media. I love quiet and peace and I am hoping if I move and go to some more isolated place? Might have a lot of fun. Got to detoxify the world of so many stimulant crap.

I did not grow up on cell phones. People had real conversations. They are great. Real conversations where people chat about their lives and they look each other in the face and touch their arms and encourage connection. A lovely thing.

I think having someone's full attention and respect and affection in some face-to-face format is going to be a very beautiful and 'rare' experience for many of these generations used to instant gratification and short meaningless communication.
The return of Hedonism and Epicurism as dominant religious philosophies is entirely due to Social Media.

There is nothing that says "Modern Hedonist" more than taking a fucking picture of you're stupid rich gourmet food dish that you probably payed too much for, and posting it online for everyone to see what you hedonisticly were about to enjoy.

Epicurus would love the smartphone food pic culture. Yet his religion is ultimately one of sinful fleshy corruption and sexual abnormality.
I agree. There is a special place in hell for people who take pictures of their food, all the damned time. :knife:

I like Facebook. I keep in touch with a lot of people thru it, and we chat frequently. That said, my computer goes off when I have visitors over. I far prefer face to face communication over online stuff.

I avoid texting unless it's to text a phone number or an address, since talking is easier, and it's more connecting.
Food has a primary function beyond pleasure, i.e nourishment; I can put up with that shit. What I can't deal with is people who plaster their newborn baby all over everybody's Facebook feed. Babies are universally ugly, unless they are your own. Stick to puppies.
Godstud wrote:...my computer goes off when I have visitors over. I far prefer face to face communication over online stuff.

Yes, but there's a third, equally-important type of communication, and that is total silence.

Many media-addicts are able to turn off their machines if someone agrees to entertain them.

But it's equally important to spend healthy amounts of time alone, speaking with your own thoughts in your head.

I discovered this during 8-hour bike rides alone. This is the best therapy, and helps you to get the most out of face-to-face interaction and written words on a screen. Without high-quality alone time, you can't really find your own morality, philosophy, or creativity.
I think it's intriguing how the people most angry towards Trump and his supporters for not being nice enough are also the most consistently verbally abusive people on the forum. It's a trend that seems to carry over into real life.

To tie this into the OP, social media is just showing us who is ugly on the inside, not in terms of right think and wrongthink but in the rawest terms possible, can you conduct yourself well when most consequences have been stripped away. If this is tearing society apart, it's just that people like to pretend that other people in society are a certain way when in reality, society just forces most of us to act like certain kinds of people and social media sometimes removes that mask.
Epicurus would love the smartphone food pic culture. Yet his religion is ultimately one of sinful fleshy corruption and sexual abnormality.

Actually, he would probably have despised it. The real philosophy of Epicurus (as opposed to the vulgarised version of it which most people think they know) was all about the importance of human relationships. He regarded human friendship as the greatest good imaginable, and what he meant by the word "pleasure" was not rutting like animals or gorging ourselves on rich food until we throw up, but the cultivation of one's intellect and character through intelligent conversation, achieving one's full potential as a human being and helping others achieve their full potential as human beings. The fact that we have vulgarised this philosophy is a symptom of our own civilisation's degeneracy compared to that of the ancient world. Let's not blame Epicurus for our own swinishness.
Potemkin wrote:...The real philosophy of Epicurus (as opposed to the vulgarised version of it which most people think they know) was all about the importance of human relationships. He regarded human friendship as the greatest good imaginable, and what he meant by the word "pleasure" was not rutting like animals or gorging ourselves on rich food until we throw up, but the cultivation of one's intellect and character through intelligent conversation, achieving one's full potential as a human being and helping others achieve their full potential as human beings....

I would love to use this quote on my 'Cuba proves...' thread, but I'm not sure if that's legal or if I have your permission to do so.
I would love to use this quote on my 'Cuba proves...' thread, but I'm not sure if that's legal or if I have your permission to do so.

Go ahead, knock yourself out. ;)

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]