The Trump Shut Down - Page 17 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Godstud
@Hindsite Read the fucking article!!

From the article Hindsite quoted wrote:“The number is right but misleading.” “it’s important to keep in mind that this figure includes all types of crimes, including nonviolent offenses such as illegal entry or reentry.”

It then pointed to statistics that show 158,581 arrests in 2018 were for civil immigration violations – with 66 percent of those involving people with criminal convictions, and others involving those with pending criminal charges.

“So the numbers add up, but they’re misleading,” the Washington Post said. “ICE does not break down arrests by type of crime, but 16 percent of the total charges and convictions (not arrests) in 2016 were strictly immigration offenses.”
By Hindsite
BREAKING NEWS - Border Crisis

Published on Jan 10, 2019

These are the reasons border barriers are needed at the US-Mexico border. New bigger caravan of migrants coming up from Central American countries will add to the current crisis at the border.

By jimjam
Ironically, the likelihood of chronic dependency on federal dollars is directly proportional to the redness of the state.

Productive, modern, blue Democratic state federal tax dollars have long subsidized rural, religious Republican states that hate the federal government....they curse they horse that feeds them and then they curse even more when the federal teat is turned off.

America's 0.1% Robber Barons and crony vulture capitalists curse 'high tax rates' that aren't particularly high compared to the rest of the world while using America's infrastructure, legal system, government-funded research and technology, and corrupted electoral system to make parasitic profits that dwarf those of foreign corporations who pay their fair share of taxes to countries with increasingly better infrastructure and educational systems.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:BREAKING NEWS - Border Crisis

Published on Jan 10, 2019

These are the reasons border barriers are needed at the US-Mexico border. New bigger caravan of migrants coming up from Central American countries will add to the current crisis at the border.

Thank you Sean Hannity, White House Chief of Staff. I am now very very scared. BTW, is anybody paying any attention to the way too costly American Medical Industrial Complex that is bankrupting and killing many Americans on a daily basis :?: ?
By Hindsite
Beren wrote:There's no border crisis, there's a Trump crisis to save the Trump presidency. It seems rather counterproductive though.

It is interesting that you and Godstud think you know more about what is happening on the US-Mexico border than the people that live and work there. I suppose you two must watch the propaganda of the liberal politicians and fake news media, like CNN. The following is just a small sample of news reports that refer to it as a crisis:

I Spent A Day With Border Patrol Agents At The US-Mexico Border

Published on Jul 3, 2018

Mexico border: Migrant caravan becoming humanitarian crisis

Published on Nov 18, 2018

The mayor of Tijuana, Mexico, has declared a “humanitarian crisis” in the city as 5,000 Central American migrants camp out desperately trying to enter the United States. NBC’s Hans Nichols reports for TODAY.

Published on Nov 24, 2018

Breaking down the U.S. border crisis

Published on Dec 28, 2018

By Hindsite
Beren wrote:How come that the border crisis became so critical right after the new Congress just set up?

If you look at the time line of the videos I presented, the crisis was building before the new Democrat controlled Congress took over in January. These large caravans of thousands of people coming at a time has made it a big crisis for the overburdened border control agents, since they do not have the manpower or facilities to take in the large number of family units attempting to apply for asylum and make sure there are no criminal aliens trying to sneak in and no illegal drugs.
By Beren
If you look at the timeline and the developing of this 'crisis' it seems very well-timed for Trump, however, he and his congressional buddies lost the House anyway and now Trump is losing the shutdown blame game gamble. Maybe he shouldn't have started it with taking the blame live on national television. :lol:
By Hindsite
Beren wrote:If you look at the timeline and the developing of this 'crisis' it seems very well-timed for Trump, however, he and his congressional buddies lost the House anyway and now Trump is losing the shutdown blame game gamble. Maybe he shouldn't have started it with taking the blame live on national television. :lol:

I agree with that. I told one of my sons that I thought Trump made a bad move by saying that he would take the blame for the shut down. However, Trump does say a host of stupid things that he later has to pull back on. But he also got elected in part to build the wall, because most common sense mined people knew barriers were needed for years to keep criminal aliens out while issuing visas for a period of time to those that wanted to come in to work.

Border Patrol Makes Its Case For An Expanded 'Border Barrier'

January 11, 2019

Senior Border Patrol officials are taking up President Trump's call for more miles of border barrier, pushing back against congressional Democrats who say additional fencing is unnecessary.

During a ride-along with the Border Patrol on Wednesday in its San Diego sector, agents made it clear that the fence deters illegal crossers.

"I started in the San Diego sector in 1992 and it didn't matter how many agents we lined up," said Chief Patrol Agent Rodney Scott. "We could not make a measurable impact on the flow [of undocumented immigrants] across the border. It wasn't until we installed barriers along the border that gave us the upper hand that we started to get control."

Forty-six of the 60 miles of border in the San Diego sector are currently protected by some type of barrier. Scott says in the places where he has two levels of fencing he achieves 90 percent operational control.

Scott was interviewed in a clearing at the base of the San Ysidro Mountains, a rugged sierra in southern San Diego County. For years, agents have considered the harsh terrain here to be a natural deterrent to illegal crossers. It is mainly Bureau of Land Management land with rocky inclines covered in cactus and juniper.

Even though the traffic here is at relatively low levels, the San Diego sector is now seeking 5 miles of additional fencing across this mountainous ground to stop the illegal movement of humans and drugs.

"Every night people come through this canyon," said Supervisory Border Patrol Agent Michael Scappechio. "If we put in a border barrier, we can utilize the [agent] manpower elsewhere."

He added that a steel fence is a smarter border defense than having agents in ATVs or on foot chasing people crossing illegally through remote and rocky ravines, which is dangerous for the pursuer and the pursued.

Currently, according to the spokesperson for the CBP's San Diego sector, they're spending $10.5 million a mile to replace 14 miles of old fencing with 18-foot-tall, state-of-the-art, steel bollard barrier between San Diego County and Tijuana. Trump has asked for an additional $5.7 billion for 234 miles of new steel slat fencing in sections along the entire U.S.-Mexico boundary. That works out to $24.4 million a mile. Critics have demanded to know why Trump's wall is so much more expensive than current fence construction.

A senior official with Customs and Border Protection told NPR that the added expense comes from building access roads, installing sensors and acquiring private land — which accounts for most of the borderland in Texas.

A veteran Border Patrol agent in the San Diego sector, who asked not to be named, said he and other agents are in favor of more miles of robust fencing. "Natural barriers don't work anymore. [Illegal crossers] come right through mountains and deserts now."

By Drlee
I live 33 miles from the Mexican border Hindsite. You are full of shit if you think you have a clue what it is like here.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:I live 33 miles from the Mexican border Hindsite. You are full of shit if you think you have a clue what it is like here.

That is too far away to know shit Drlee. And you already have miles of border barriers along the California border.

Record numbers of migrant families are streaming into the United States, overwhelming border agents and leaving holding cells dangerously overcrowded with children, many of whom are falling sick. Two Guatemalan children taken into U.S. custody died in December.

In a letter to lawmakers Friday, the White House and the Department of Homeland Security made a fresh appeal to amend immigration laws they denounce as “legal loopholes” and blame for creating a “border security and humanitarian crisis.” But the chance of reaching consensus for such technical fixes to U.S. immigration statutes is growing more remote, buried by the pitched battle over a structure new House Speaker Nancy Pelosi calls “immoral.”

With both sides entrenched, there has been little bipartisan urgency to examine the relatively narrow set of legal and administrative changes that could potentially make a difference in slowing illegal migration or improving conditions for families who arrive at the border.

“There are places that need better fences or better walls; no one denies that,” said Anthony Earl Wayne, a U.S. diplomat who served as ambassador to Mexico from 2011 to 2015. “But I don’t know how you get to that, while explaining to the public that we need to increase border security while meeting the human needs that are there.”

With migrants streaming through south Texas, landowners are caught between protecting their property and saving lives

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... ers-deaths
By Drlee
You have no clue. Anyone surprised?

And oh by the way I do not live in California.

And I do not believe you retired from the military either. I met some marginal people in the military but by the time they hit 20 years most of them had learned to get by.

Nothing personal to you but a random observation would be that I have never met a smart Trump follower. Not once.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:You have no clue. Anyone surprised?

And oh by the way I do not live in California.

And I do not believe you retired from the military either. I met some marginal people in the military but by the time they hit 20 years most of them had learned to get by.

Nothing personal to you but a random observation would be that I have never met a smart Trump follower. Not once.

I would bet that the reason you have never met any smart Trump supporters, like me, is that you hang out with a bunch of fools that believe in the liberal propaganda of CNN and other liberally biased crazies with Trump derangement syndrome.
By ingliz
Hindsite wrote:liberal propaganda

Department of Homeland Security figures show 66% of undocumented immigrants are entering the United States through airports or border checkpoints with valid visas.

:lol:
By Hindsite
ingliz wrote:Department of Homeland Security figures show 66% of undocumented immigrants are entering the United States through airports or border checkpoints with valid visas.

:lol:

I have no problem with that because that is a legal way to enter the United States. The only problem is that some of them overstay their visas.
Stormsmith wrote:I think when you sum the costs of steel, labour to built then construct the wall, plus the cost of buying people's land AND the law suits, divided by the scant handful of convicts, you'd be shocked. Better to address the opioid crisis than this non-crisis

If that was meant as a joke, that's sort of funny, I guess. :evil: I'm guessing you were serious. :?: If that's the case, 80% of the heroin that enters the US comes over the US-Mexican border.

jimjam wrote:Ironically, the likelihood of chronic dependency on federal dollars is directly proportional to the redness of the state.

You're forgetting DC and the outskirts... the seven richest counties in the US, populated with our most expensive welfare dependents.

Hindsite wrote:The mayor of Tijuana, Mexico, has declared a “humanitarian crisis” in the city as 5,000 Central American migrants camp out desperately trying to enter the United States. NBC’s Hans Nichols reports for TODAY.

I guess they don't get CNN down there, or they would have heard Nancy Pelosi clarify that this is just a manufactured crisis. :lol: They're melting down over 5000 people? :knife: We have over 300k arrests on the border every year.

Beren wrote:How come that the border crisis became so critical right after the new Congress just set up?

Because the 2020 Presidential Election cycle starts pretty much right after the mid terms and the holidays are over, and the Democrats thought that trashing Trump with a nasty media barrage would work this time, because it has worked on previous Republican presidents. It's a great strategy because Pelosi is operating against the will of the American people, and all Trump has to do is wait it out.

Beren wrote:If you look at the timeline and the developing of this 'crisis' it seems very well-timed for Trump, however, he and his congressional buddies lost the House anyway and now Trump is losing the shutdown blame game gamble. Maybe he shouldn't have started it with taking the blame live on national television. :lol:

The "blame" thing is a media creation. I don't care. I love it when the government shuts down. It's awesome to make government workers get a taste of what life in the private sector is like. Nancy Pelosi tried to characterize unemployment as "funemployment" when Obama was president. The seven richest counties in the United States are in the DC area. Now, restaurants in DC are nearly empty, Starbucks isn't doing much business, but the rest of the US is doing just fine. This is exactly what I have wanted to see for a long time. It makes me happy. As I said, I want to make Detroit like Washington DC, and I want to make Washington DC like Detroit. Couldn't be happier.

ingliz wrote:Department of Homeland Security figures show 66% of undocumented immigrants are entering the United States through airports or border checkpoints with valid visas.

Valid visas are documentation, just so you know. :roll:
By ingliz
[youtube]ADzobhJVtnw[/youtube]

Trump on "walls".

:)

Hindsite wrote:some of them overstay their visas... I have no problem with that

Why don't you have a problem with that?

They are all, the 66% and the 33%, illegal immigrants.

blackjack21 wrote:80% of the heroin...

Approximately 80 percent of the global pharmaceutical opioid supply is consumed in the United States

and

about 80 percent of people who use heroin first misused prescription opioids.

Valid visas are documentation

I am referring to the 3 million undocumented aliens (DHS 2015) who entered the United States with valid temporary visas and subsequently established residence without authorisation - illegal immigrants.
By Torus34
The Wall or no Wall controversy is, at a certain remove, risible. That there is illegal immigration into the United States of America is a given. That it is a good thing to keep its negative impact to a low level* is also a good thing. This armchair observer doubts whether any poster on this forum will find fault with the above.

Accepting the above as true, a rational approach would consider two things. The first would be the resources available to mitigate the problem. The second would be to determine how to get the biggest bang for the buck. In other words, apply the resources in the most effective manner.

This approach does not appear to have much traction in either the White House or the halls of Congress.

A pity.

* Reducing some things to zero can result in huge expenditures to get rid of a very small and insignificant remnant.
Last edited by Torus34 on 12 Jan 2019 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
By jimjam
There he is folks. ^ Got his little presidential ready for action outfit on.

In order to dramatize the dangers of life without a Mexico wall, Donald Trump goes to visit a Texas border city that just had its lowest crime rate in 34 years and rebuts critics who say walling off a country is sort of medieval by pointing out that all cars have wheels and “a wheel is older than a wall.”

Multitudinous fact checkers point out that a wall is actually older than a wheel.

McAllen, the city Trump chose to demonstrate the terror of wall-free borders, was recently listed by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best places to retire in the nation. But the president, who was making only his second trip to the border since he took office, assured the public he knew how terrible things are because “I have been there numerous times.”

Don, however, had some stiff competition down there in the Mexican border war zone as presidential aspirant Beto O'Rourke live streamed the news of his teeth cleaning afterwards introducing America to his dental hygienist Diana who commented: "“It’s a beautiful community, We all support each other. We love each other. And it’s not what everybody else thinks badly about us. It’s actually a wonderful place to live and grow up.”
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]