Atheism is Evil - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Julian658
Besoeker2 wrote:We are all born knowing nothing, no belief in theism, thus atheists.

I agree, but ancient cultures are ancient cultures and hence needed religion and mythology to be cohesive.

Today there is no need for religion and the glue that holds groups together is secular. Sadly, the secular themes can be as toxic as religion.
By Besoeker2
Julian658 wrote:I agree, but ancient cultures are ancient cultures and hence needed religion and mythology to be cohesive.

Today there is no need for religion and the glue that holds groups together is secular. Sadly, the secular themes can be as toxic as religion.

Tolerance is what we need. I have a good friend and was a fellow employee who is a ordained Pentecostal minister.
Many of my in-laws are 'hard shell" Baptists.
We all get along.
By Julian658
Besoeker2 wrote:Tolerance is what we need. I have a good friend and was a fellow employee who is a ordained Pentecostal minister.
Many of my in-laws are 'hard shell" Baptists.
We all get along.

I agree, tolerance is the key. We are heading to a future where people from different tribes will be in close proximity to each other. We evolved in tribes and it may be difficult to leave tribalism behind.
By Godstud
Unthinking Majority wrote:My dog is an atheist. He rapes babies and feeds on their blood.
That you let him do that, is on you. :p

Julian658 wrote:Today there is no need for religion and the glue that holds groups together is secular. Sadly, the secular themes can be as toxic as religion.
Can you provide some evidence for this claim? I find this very unlikely.
By Hindsite
Saeko wrote:I'm an atheist!

I'm evil!

And I'm proud!

I can believe that.
Praise the Lord.
By Godstud
At least he's owning it, unlike you. :p
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:At least he's owning it, unlike you. :p

That is because I am not an atheist.
HalleluYah
By Julian658
Godstud wrote:That you let him do that, is on you. :p

Can you provide some evidence for this claim? I find this very unlikely.

Secular passions can be toxic and they are mostly extreme positions in the political spectrum. These are mostly on the left and I will be happy to mention a few if you are interested.
By Godstud
I did ask for some examples, and I don't believe that pointing to "left" things, is a proper example.
By Julian658
Godstud wrote:I did ask for some examples, and I don't believe that pointing to "left" things, is a proper example.

The list is long and I do not want to give the impression I am not liberal or open minded. Watch these two short videos in sequence. They first one is 41 sec and the 2nd one less than two minutes. The first video explains religion as we understand it. This is Jonathan Haidt a well known psychologist and atheist.

41 sec video on the roots of religion

Here he talks about those that are on a sacred mission to stop racism

On the 2nd video he is talking about something that is like religion, but is a secular cause.
By Godstud
I meant a source, not an opinion piece on Youtube. He's talking about tribalism, not secularism, in the first video.

Secularism:
In political terms, secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institution and religious dignitaries (the attainment of such is termed secularity).

Haidt ends with saying that every political movement is like a religion. That does not address atheism, or secularism.

Thank you for having short videos. most of the time people ignore videos here, since they're long and pointless. FYI. :D
By Julian658
Godstud wrote:I meant a source, not an opinion piece on Youtube. He's talking about tribalism, not secularism, in the first video.

Secularism:
In political terms, secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institution and religious dignitaries (the attainment of such is termed secularity).

Haidt ends with saying that every political movement is like a religion. That does not address atheism, or secularism.

Thank you for having short videos. most of the time people ignore videos here, since they're long and pointless. FYI. :D

Sorry about that. I wanted to make this easier for you to understand. Or perhaps you cannot accept that people see non-religious causes as pseudo-religion. Hope that works!
By Julian658
Godstud wrote:I meant a source, not an opinion piece on Youtube. He's talking about tribalism, not secularism, in the first video.

Secularism:

Wait a minute!

Are you a BOT?
By Godstud
Julian658 wrote:Or perhaps you cannot accept that people see non-religious causes as pseudo-religion.
No. I do not accept that.

I'm not a BOT. :p

(That's exactly what a bot would say, of course.)

The real question, is, "Are you a bot?". I've been on this forum for a very long time.
By Hindsite
Besoeker2 wrote:Atheism is simply without theism.
Attributing anything more to it is just opinion. Baseless opinion at that.

Since this is for opinions, my opinion is that those claiming to be atheist are evil.
By Godstud
@Hindsite There's nothing more useless than an uninformed opinion. :p

I assume I am evil simply because I don't believe in your stupid god? :lol: That's pretty weak criteria for "evilness".
By Hong Wu
One of the ironies of atheism is that it tends towards materialism but in doing so, it has to acknowledge that religious people tend to be better off in every material way. It's kind of like existentialism in that regard and is probably a symptom of a "sick" society.

In China people are "officially" atheist but most of them believe in all sorts of metaphysical things, so in a western sense most of the population is not atheist at all. Very interesting place :)
By Godstud
Hong Wu wrote:One of the ironies of atheism is that it tends towards materialism but in doing so, it has to acknowledge that religious people tend to be better off in every material way.
That's simply another uninformed opinion. Can you please provide a source for your silly claim?

Hong Wu wrote:It's kind of like existentialism in that regard and is probably a symptom of a "sick" society.
Atheism is the product of a very happy society, where people aren't afraid to question religious dogma, and where people have the freedom to do so.

Hong Wu wrote:In China people are "officially" atheist but most of them believe in all sorts of metaphysical things, so in a western sense most of the population is not atheist at all. Very interesting place :)
Yes, it probably is, but you can't outlaw thought, only practice of said religion. Your example is pretty meaningless.

Lol. @FiveofSwords does not remember that he is[…]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That doesn't answer the question though, how come[…]

@Godstud I suggest you fact-check that. :lo[…]