EU-BREXIT - Page 192 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Hong Wu
B0ycey wrote:Tories got 10% and I suspect that was a large percentage of Tory remainers that were left keeping the party afloat. All the Tory complete scum leavers jumped ship to The Brexit Party.

Well, I read that insofar as Labour still represents actual Laborers, some share of their party supports Brexit. I have no idea how comparable the values are though.
By B0ycey
Hong Wu wrote:Well, I read that insofar as Labour still represents actual Laborers, some share of their party supports Brexit. I have no idea how comparable the values are though.

The vast majority of Labour supporters are remainers (75%)...

https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-corbyn-uk-labour-poll-crash-if-it-supports-brexit-deal-poll/

.... the same as the vast majority of Tories are leavers. But in terms of the EU elections, both Labour and Conservative leavers went to The Brexit Party. So being that Leave parties only got 1/3 of the vote speaks volumes of where the mood of Brexit is in the UK today. Remainers in both parties were actually loyal to their parties.
By Hong Wu
B0ycey wrote:The vast majority of Labour supporters are remainers (75%)...

https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-corbyn-uk-labour-poll-crash-if-it-supports-brexit-deal-poll/

.... the same as the vast majority of Tories are leavers. But in terms of the EU elections, both Labour and Conservative leavers went to The Brexit Party. So being that Leave parties only got 1/3 of the vote speaks volumes of where the mood of Brexit is in the UK today. Remainers in both parties were actually loyal to their parties.

Yeah, you may be right. The huge growth in the Brexit Party indicates that their votes were coming from the other parties. I wonder what Labour's deal is now that a new leftist party is eating their lunch. I think there's still plenty of interesting implications going on though and we can't count Brexit out yet.

Tim Pool, a guy I'm watching a lot lately, pointed out that unless Brexit was decisively crushed at the polls, a second referendum would only give way to a third referendum etc. So we'll have to wait for the next General election to be sure how things are shaping up.
By ingliz
Hong Wu wrote:I wonder what Labour's deal is now

Second referendum.

"With the Conservatives disintegrating and unable to govern, and Parliament deadlocked, this issue will have to go back to the people, whether through a general election or a public vote."

Jeremy Corbyn, 27 May 2019.
By Kaiserschmarrn
Based on the official Labour position before the election, it doesn't seem logical to claim the Labour vote share for Remain.

The LibDems obviously benefited greatly from this.
By B0ycey
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Based on the official Labour position before the election, it doesn't seem logical to claim the Labour vote share for Remain.

The LibDems obviously benefited greatly from this.

Why? 75% are remainers within Labour and the Brexit Party is a one policy party. Lib Dems are remainers but at the same time a meaningful political party with opposing views to hardcore Labour values.

Perhaps logic would dictate that not all EU labour votes were remainers but I can be almost sure that 80%+ were.
By Kaiserschmarrn
B0ycey wrote:
Why? 75% are remainers within Labour and the Brexit Party is a one policy party. Lib Dems are remainers but at the same time a meaningful political party with opposing views to hardcore Labour values.

Perhaps logic would dictate that not all EU labour votes were remainers but I can be almost sure that 80%+ were.

I'm assuming that not everybody who voted Remain wants to undermine the referendum result. Hardcore Remainers obviously went to the LibDems and a few to Change UK.
By Nonsense
The BREXIT Party was the clear leader across the board - not just between any other particular party, but, in many cases, against multiple parties in their respective E.U consituencies.

This was the 'second' referendum, the other parties lost - again, because of their false promise to honour the result of the 2016 referendum. by not delivering BREXIT.

As I have previously stated, the Lib Dems are the Trash Bin, for which disaffected voters put their votes in, there is nothing more to their position than that & anyone reading more into it is just dreaming.

Tom WATSON & Emily THORNBERRY are politically ignoranus's.

If Labour thinks that it can come off the fence, campaign to remain through another 'confirmatory' referendum, then their delusions are indellible & they will lose the next election, which is the Third Stage of the tremours in current British politics that will(hopefully) redraw the political landscape with a root & branch change from top to bottom across the board.

When Labour adopts a policy that runs counter to the 2016 referendum, then that party is in for an almighty democratic political pounding, that's why pushing for a 'second' referendum with an option to remain, is dishonest, but reveals their real position in respect of the 2016 vote, they also talk of pushing for an election will see them lose it resoundingly.

What happened here was repeated to a degree in europe where nationalist, anti-immigration parties are the winners, 'populist' parties are just that, the rest are simply 'unpopular', that is the modus operandi of democracy in action & it's that simple.

I find it amusing that those here who claim that the 2016 referendum result wasn't clear or comprehensive, along with the plethora of nonsensical excuses made to want to overturn the result by not delivering BREXIT, are the very same people who declare that the real losers in the euro elections, are actually the 'majority'.

They are fantasists, in absolute denial of reality, they cannot deliver a majority for their views, so they invent an artificial paradigm in which they hold sway-unbelievable it is. :knife: :roll:
By Beren
Bloomberg wrote:Hopes of Brexit Deal Changes Dashed by Pro-EU Wins in Elections

By Ian Wishart

27 May 2019 02:39 CEST

The failure of populist parties to score a big win in European Parliament elections is likely to dash the hopes of leading contenders to be next U.K. prime minister that Brussels will soften its stance on Brexit.

Runners to replace Theresa May, including Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab, say they want the European Union to reopen negotiations on the U.K.’s withdrawal agreement and grant concessions on the contentious backstop arrangement for the Irish border. Conservative politicians suggested a shake-up in the balance of power in Europe, and a surge in anti-establishment support, would help their cause.

But, while the mainstream center-right and center-left parties have seen their share slump, their votes have largely transferred to other pro-EU groups. Although parties inspired by Brexit, such as Marine Le Pen’s National Rally in France, scored well domestically, right-wing populist groups will still make up only about a quarter of the new European Parliament.

That means that the center-ground parties of Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier and Council President Donald Tusk will still hold sway and have the loudest voice in the appointment of their successors. They have repeatedly said they will not revise the Brexit deal and nothing in the European Parliament election results suggests that EU unity will start to crack now.
By snapdragon
Farage is saying he wants the Brexit party to be part of negotiating a deal.

So, okay, send him, Anne Fucking Widdecombe and Bojo off to Brussels and let's see what they come up with.

Just make sure they don't conveniently forget the pledges they made before the referendum.
By Hong Wu
I don't think the EU wants to negotiate is the thing. I would assume that they are stalling as much as they can, hoping that a second referendum happens and comes up barely as remain instead of barely as leave.
By B0ycey
I suspect to the Brexiteers any deal without a WA would be a good deal. Shame it is the only thing the EU insist on. :hmm:

Send BoJo, Farage, Widdecombe or Moog to Brussels. They will realise very quickly May's deal is the only deal on the table and they would have to be bloody serious they will leave with "No Deal" as it is the only way we are leaving the EU in October without the WA.
By JohnRawls
Beren wrote:Corbyn backs referendum on Brexit deal after voter exodus

That changes things a bit. Labour can create a coalitional majority only with DUP. The rest are much easier to convince. The funny thing is that the DUP might be interested in this....
By Rich
Thoughts on May's departure:

:lol:

Yeah fuck off yu (un-gendered term of abuse that hasn't come to mind yet)!

Well this whole Brexit business is looking more promising. My hope has always been that it would lead to the breaking of the First past the Post electoral system. My fear was that it would protect it. Even if my hope comes true I would still vehemently assert that promising the referendum was the right thing for Cameron to from the perspective of defending the Tories dominant position as the natural party of government. Cameron and May were not stupid or cowardly, but acting rationally in the interests of their party and career.

In 2017 Brexit helped shore up the position of the two main parties. So what went wrong for them? How did we get from the 2017 General Election result to this? It was the true Brexit believers in the parliamentary Tory Party. They do include Jacob Reese-Mogg, even though he in the end he voted for May's deal. Obviously they don't include Boris. It was the true believers visceral reaction to May's deal, that gave the cover for pro EU Tories to vote it down as well. The Tory and DUP opposition to the deal then gave cover to the Labour and other parties to vote it down. The true believer Brexiteers, with the odd exceptions like Hitchens and Gove, have become radicalised. What they believe now is quite different from what they believed at the start of this process back in 2015.
By Potemkin
Rich wrote:The true believer Brexiteers, with the odd exceptions like Hitchens and Gove, have become radicalised. What they believe now is quite different from what they believed at the start of this process back in 2015.

Revolutions have a way of doing that to people, Rich. ;)
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:Thoughts on May's departure:

:lol:

Yeah fuck off yu (un-gendered term of abuse that hasn't come to mind yet)!

Well this whole Brexit business is looking more promising. My hope has always been that it would lead to the breaking of the First past the Post electoral system. My fear was that it would protect it. Even if my hope comes true I would still vehemently assert that promising the referendum was the right thing for Cameron to from the perspective of defending the Tories dominant position as the natural party of government. Cameron and May were not stupid or cowardly, but acting rationally in the interests of their party and career.

In 2017 Brexit helped shore up the position of the two main parties. So what went wrong for them? How did we get from the 2017 General Election result to this? It was the true Brexit believers in the parliamentary Tory Party. They do include Jacob Reese-Mogg, even though he in the end he voted for May's deal. Obviously they don't include Boris. It was the true believers visceral reaction to May's deal, that gave the cover for pro EU Tories to vote it down as well. The Tory and DUP opposition to the deal then gave cover to the Labour and other parties to vote it down. The true believer Brexiteers, with the odd exceptions like Hitchens and Gove, have become radicalised. What they believe now is quite different from what they believed at the start of this process back in 2015.

There is a plausible case to think that a shift in alignment of the parties is a realistic proposition.

CAMERON was 'rational' to do the referendum, as for MAY, she was hell bent on sabotaging the referendum result, despite her proclamations to the contrary, you judge people on what they do-NOT-what they say they will do.

MAY's 'problem' was her own making, she probably thought that she was doing a reasonable thing by allowing parliament a 'meaningful' vote-WRONG-, doing what you regard as reasonable by placing the government's agenda into the hands of an irrational bunch of half-wits in parliament, was either the decision of a deranged idiot, or from someone who knew the outcome, but thought that they alone were in 'control'.

That woman is politically deranged & personally ignorant.
By snapdragon
You seem to be saying May shouldn't have put the vote Parliament, but she had no choice.
By Potemkin
snapdragon wrote:You seem to be saying May shouldn't have put the vote Parliament, but she had no choice.

Nonsense seems to have no understanding of how the British political system actually works, snapdragon. His beef with Theresa May seems to be that she didn't immediately declare martial law, disband Parliament, and rule by decree. Lol! :lol:

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]