Friend or Foe? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Friend or foe

Friend
39%
Foe
35%
Other (Explain)
26%
By B0ycey
What type of users do we have on PoFo?

The great Noemon offers you a night out with one other user on PoFo at his cost to discuss politics. Would you choose a user you get along with so you can basically agree with everything you discuss or would you choose a foe so you can battle out your opinions?
Last edited by Cartertonian on 30 May 2019 12:30, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Other option added
By Godstud
Foe. We could still have a drink and discuss things, like reasonable human beings. The internet just amplifies people's attitudes. In person we'd find more common ground.
By SolarCross
B0ycey wrote:What type of users do we have on PoFo?

The great Noemon offers you a night out with one other user on PoFo at his cost to discuss politics. Would you choose a user you get along with so you can basically agree with everything you discuss or would you choose a foe so you can battle out your opinions?

If I was jumping in blind I would say Foe for the spicy combat but pofo is a well worn sanitary towel that I know too well and in pofo the Friends would give better debate just on the grounds of honesty and honour. The friends I have here are so not so much because we agree about that much but because of a basically honourable disposition that keeps debate within the scope of truth. The Foes are so not because they necessarily disagree with me on everything but just because they happen to lack character and debate poorly for relying overmuch on lying to get by.

-------

The OP makes the assumption that we choose our friends because they agree with our world view and choose our enemies on the criteria of disagreement. I don't think that is true particularly, certainly not for myself.
By ness31
Did you hear that everyone? SolarCross likes it spicy :D
By Red_Army
Do a lot of people not live in places where they cannot communicate with political opponents? I could talk to a version of most of the posters here and have. If I'm gonna meet someone off PoFo I'd at least like some common ground. I don't know what fun there is in arguing with strangers with whom you've already built up years of animosity.
By JohnRawls
I guess foe but a frand is also okay. As long as its not Qatz, Rei, Ixabert or Zyx so it won't break my noble perception of them.
By JohnRawls
Red_Army wrote:Would you consider me frand or foe John? I could really go for some shashlyk 8)

Your definitely more of a frand than a foe. Yeah, me too honestly. Our ideas are pretty similar although you swing more left while i swing more right.
By B0ycey
SolarCross wrote:The OP makes the assumption that we choose our friends because they agree with our world view and choose our enemies on the criteria of disagreement. I don't think that is true particularly, certainly not for myself.

The OP makes no assumptions at all. It is merely a thought experiment to discover what type of users we have on PoFo. If you choose a friend you are perhaps a social debater. That is you'll debate with an opponent but wouldn't take it seriously and perhaps move your discussion to other things on a night out. If you choose a foe you take your opinions more seriously. Your opponent is a foe. He will not have common ground and isn't likely to share interests like a friend and you have chosen him over someone you could have had a good night with getting drunk on Noemon.

Remember I never said the friend shares values because most won't.
I would have to go with friend. The reason is if I am going to have a night out at the other person's cost, I want to enjoy the night out without drama and just relax. That being said, in some cases, though not all cases, I can discuss politics with foes depending on how the discussion progresses. In such cases, it's not so much that they disagree, but how they disagree that would matter.
By Godstud
True, but you just might make a friend out of a foe, by finding common ground. I have several friends with spectacularly stupid views on politics. :D
@Godstud

Godstud wrote:True, but you just might make a friend out of a foe, by finding common ground. I have several friends with spectacularly stupid views on politics. :D

I'm not trying to make foes into friends. In my experience, nobody changes their minds on politics so there is no sense in trying to make a foe out of friend. They got their ways and I got mine and in some cases, friendship is an impossibility. I am not out to change anybody and nobody is going to change me. When it comes to Trump supporters for example, the only way I can be friends with them is if we just don't talk about politics at all. If we start talking politics when it comes to talking to Trump supporters, it's a sure way to lose my friendship. When it comes to me and Trump supporters when I have to deal with them, I stay away from the topic of politics because I know it will quickly escalate and a friendship and talking will become an impossibility. There is always some underlying tension between me and some Trump supporters and some of my friendships have been destroyed due to Trump getting elected. Plus Trump supporters in my family, I don't have the same relationship I once had with them once Trump got elected. I viewed their support for Trump as a betrayal and a slap in my face as a war veteran of the United States. Plus I view Trump as a traitor quite frankly speaking and hold some of my friends and family members responsible for his rise to power and his attack on our war veterans.
Red_Army wrote:Do a lot of people not live in places where they cannot communicate with political opponents? I could talk to a version of most of the posters here and have. If I'm gonna meet someone off PoFo I'd at least like some common ground. I don't know what fun there is in arguing with strangers with whom you've already built up years of animosity.

We'd have some outdoors stuff in common, that and recreational drugs.

SO we could literally go fishing and and get stoned before debating religion and politics, which would be a good context for such anyway.

As to who I would rather talk to? That is tough, I like to talk to anyone who is interested in similar areas and can be civil.
By Rancid
I selected "Foe", but....

I put it in quotes because I do not consider anyone on pofo my foe. Even those that I may disagree with often. Even those that would consider me their "foe". To me, discussion about philosophy, ideology, ideas, is something that can be enjoyed with anyone that has a moderate amount of intelligence.

I see it more as discussing ideas, and refining each others ideas, than so called debate. Debate is stupid.
By Drlee
I suppose friend because it would be fun to get drunk and trash our mutual foes.

That said, I do not consider my political opponents foes in the traditional sense. There are some members who I would relish an evening with regardless of their political bent just because they are so funny, or smart or interesting.
By Patrickov
Pure friend or pure foe can be very boring.

Maybe someone who turns out spending friend : foe ratio 3:2 or so.
By skinster
Drlee wrote:There are some members who I would relish an evening with regardless of their political bent just because they are so funny, or smart or interesting.

Thanks for the compliments. :D

Are you done projecting your own racism here? Y[…]

@Deutschmania , @wat0n The definition of auth[…]

@QatzelOk calling another person a liar is not a[…]

Race is scientifically arbitrary. It was created […]