California - America's Cesspool... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I lived in California for 30 years, under both Republican and Democrat Governors. California wasn't perfect; far from it, but it was a really nice place to live.

Operative word here being "was".

Nowadays, though, they're doing shit like this: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-full-health-benefits-illegal-immigrants-trump

"In a stance to distance itself from President Trump’s administration, California is set to become the first state in the country to pay for tens of thousands of illegal immigrants to have full health benefits."

To pay for part of it, the state agreed to start taxing people who don’t have health insurance.

Basically, they're going to tax legal residents who don't have health coverage so they can give health coverage to people who aren't even supposed to be here.

California deserves every shitty thing that happens to it...
:roll: Proposed.

It's also been proposed due to public health issues, but I guess you're going to ignore that, because "illegal immigrants".

Democrats in the state Legislature reached an agreement Sunday afternoon as part of a broader plan to spend $213 billion of state and federal tax money over the next year. The legislature is expected to approve the deal this week. The agreement means low-income adults between the ages of 19 and 25 living in California illegally would be eligible for California’s Medicaid program, the joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled.
Only those in that age group whose incomes are low enough to qualify for the program would get the health benefits. State officials estimate that group will be about 90,000 people at a cost of $98 million per year. The state Senate had wanted to expand the proposal to include adults 65 and older, but the Newsom administration argued it would cost too much.

“California believes that health is a fundamental right,” said state Sen. Holly Mitchell, a Los Angeles Democrat who led the budget negotiations.

The move is part of a larger effort to make sure everyone in California has health insurance. The proposal also makes California the first state in the country to help middle-income families pay their monthly health insurance premiums. It means a family of four earning as much as six times the federal poverty level — or more than $150,000 a year — would be eligible to get about $100 a month from the government to help pay their monthly health insurance premiums.

But to pay for part of it, the state will begin taxing people who don’t have health insurance. It’s a revival of the individual mandate penalty that had been law nationwide under former President Barack Obama’s health care law until Republicans in Congress eliminated it as part of the 2017 overhaul to the tax code.

https://wgntv.com/2019/06/10/california ... mmigrants/

California is so bad for having empathy and compassion. :roll:

California is probably the least shitty place in USA. Can you make a decent argument not based on your feelings?
Godstud wrote:California is so bad for having empathy and compassion.

Illegals should get nothing but a ride to the border. Taxing Americans who don't have health insurance so that illegal scumbag aliens can have health coverage is offensive. Why are the scumbag illegal aliens more deserving of health coverage than the Americans who will be taxed for it but also don't have it?

California is probably the least shitty place in USA. Can you make a decent argument not based on your feelings?

Aside from the fact that they're breaking the law by being here? Aside from the fact that they are criminals?

I lived there for 30 years. It used to be great, and now it's a shit hole which caters to illegal scumbag aliens. This will only be exacerbated by this latest legislation because, as the only State to offer health coverage to illegal scumbags, it will become a magnet for them.

I guess the silver lining will be that we'll finally know where the vermin are...
I generally like California's progressive ideas and politics so I don't think it's necessarily a "cess pool." I am in agreement with Steve here on the idea of taxing Americans who don't have health insurance to pay for immigrants who don't have it as well (and I do think the US needs to be welcoming to immigrants but that doesn't mean tax American citizens who don't have health insurance to give to immigrants who don't have it either). I don't see where that is right or fair.

In addition, California is not a place for everybody to live. The cost of living is outrageously expensive. If you don't have the money and income to live in California then you don't have any business living there. You're just going to have to live in the lower cost of living states like in the south for example.

The south is very conservative and republican and much of the politics of the south I don't agree with, but the south is just like any place else in the United States. It's all what you make of it and you have good people here in the south too. Plus the cost of living is cheap and you have plenty of business opportunities. The weather is good too and so is the food and if you are a single man, the women are beautiful. The south has also produced some great artists and there is a good art scene down south too.
California should implement statewide public healthcare that also covers undocumented workers.

Everyone gets healthcare. No one pays at point of service.

Considering how much US people pay for their current mess of healthcare, this would probably be cheaper than the status quo.
Politics_Observer wrote:The south is very conservative and republican and much of the politics of the south I don't agree with, but the south is just like any place else in the United States. It's all what you make of it and you have good people here in the south too. Plus the cost of living is cheap and you have plenty of business opportunities. The weather is good too and so is the food and if you are a single man, the women are beautiful. The south has also produced some great artists and there is a good art scene down south too.

I was in Navarre Beach, on the Florida panhandle, over the weekend and my buddy, my girl and I went down to this little beach bar, Windjammers On The Pier, for a drink. Next to the bar were these huge condo towers (16 floors, maybe?. I asked my buddy how much the top floor ones are going for. He had actually looked at them about a week ago and said "Right around six".

Now, my point of reference for living on the beach is San Diego, where nothing worthwhile on the beach sells for less than a few million, so I reply "Six million seems kind of steep."

"No," Dan replied, "six hundred thousand."

I'm flying back over there on Wednesday to put in an offer.

I laugh when people talk about the high cost of living here in Florida....
@BigSteve

Steve wrote:"No," Dan replied, "six hundred thousand."

I'm flying back over there on Wednesday to put in an offer.

I laugh when people talk about the high cost of living here in Florida....

If you can afford it, I would be putting in an offer too if I was you. Bear in mind the hurricanes though in Florida. You might need flood insurance too. But I have always loved the Florida beaches. I have been to California and quite frankly speaking, I like Florida's beaches better than California's. And it's cheaper!
Politics_Observer wrote:@BigSteve

If you can afford it, I would be putting in an offer too if I was you. Bear in mind the hurricanes though in Florida. You might need flood insurance too. But I have always loved the Florida beaches. I have been to California and quite frankly speaking, I like Florida's beaches better than California's. And it's cheaper!

The money's not really an issue but, yeah, hurricanes are always a consideration. The steel rollaway shutters these condos have, though, are impressive.

And Florida beaches, overall, are much nicer than California's...
This reads like the boring, poorly formatted Boomer rants I see on Nextdoor.

Considering that cheap immigrant labor is a driving factor in a lot of California business, and business nationwide, I think giving them healthcare is great. But I guess some people are just happier having an underclass of "scumbag vermin" who live in the shadows.

Obviously the solution is to give them citizenship AND healthcare.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Obviously the solution is to give them citizenship AND healthcare.

Let them work to acquire citizenship. It should not be "given" to them.

Until then, they should get nothing. If they live (and perhaps die) in the shadows, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over that...
I am wondering if this is partly due to the recent outbreaks of preventable diseases.

As a way of boosting overall vaccination rates, herd immunity, and cutting down the rate of infection, this makes sense.
BigSteve wrote:Let them work to acquire citizenship. It should not be "given" to them.

Until then, they should get nothing. If they live (and perhaps die) in the shadows, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over that...

They come here specifically for work that is given to them.

Nice to see your desire to murder women also extends to the "vermin."
BigSteve wrote:If they live (and perhaps die) in the shadows, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over that...

With that attitude, if you die of a particularly nasty but easily preventable disease, I'm not going to lose any sleep... It will be your own stupidity that killed you.

:)
ingliz wrote:With that attitude, if you die of a particularly nasty but easily preventable disease, I'm not going to lose any sleep... It will be your own stupidity that killed you.

Won't happen. I'm remarkably healthy. I take care of myself and visit my doctor regularly because cancer runs in my family. If anything bad befalls me, it'll be found quickly.

And I don't give a fuck if you lose sleep or not...
SpecialOlympian wrote:They come here specifically for work that is given to them.

Nice to see your desire to murder women also extends to the "vermin."

You really have a knack for profound levels of unbridled ignorance, don't you?

I've spoken of murdering no one. I just wouldn't care if they died. I'd be more concerned with whether or not I remembered to take those filets out of the freezer...
Last edited by BigSteve on 11 Jun 2019 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Big Steve is sad. His feelings are hurt. Look:

I lived there for 30 years. It used to be great, and now it's a shit hole which caters to illegal scumbag aliens. This will only be exacerbated by this latest legislation because, as the only State to offer health coverage to illegal scumbags, it will become a magnet for them.

He is also a bigot judging from his childish insistence on referring to anyone he dislikes calling them names. I remember lots of kids did this in fifth grade. Adults, not so much.

But the problem with people who adopt his childish tactics is that they bury any message or point they might have in their own bullshit. I totally get that Big Steve believes that a child who was brought to this country at age two and raised here as a citizen and completing a teaching degree with the goal of teaching our children is a "scumbag vermin". You and I might disagree with him particularly when we compare this fine young person to a 5th generation Alabama white man in a white sheet. But this is not a distinction he appears willing to make.

Racism (and racism this is ((spare me the 'I don't care if they are from Norway)) is the last bastion of the ignorant. Frankly, really smart people have this figured out already.

There are some big words in Godstud's post but it hits the nail on the head. We in Arizona just recently went down this road with regards to homeless people. The fact is that insuring people is vastly cheaper than treating them after their illness has progressed because they can't afford retail medicine. And we will treat them. We will never turn away a sick baby because his parents are here illegally. But small minded people think that paying for this by essentially taxing everyone is new. It is not. The people he is whining so much for are already footing the bill for these folks.

I will pause for a moment and point out how magnanimous BigSteve is. He is obviously a liberal at heart. He willingly will take my tax money to subsidize his federal flood insurance. He does not know or does not care that not a single insurer in the US provides flood insurance retail so he is going to ask me, a person wise enough not to build in a storm flood zone to fund his folly. But oh poor Big Steve. The awful liberal want us all to have health insurance so we can all be well and we can all save money.

The ignorance on the right is astonishing. But no longer surprising.

The chimp question: https://www.newsweek.com/coul[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]