Taiwan Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage Despite 67% Having Voted Against - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Rancid wrote:My guess is, the government itself wants to make itself more distinct from the mainland, so they are pushing things the mainland does not like. Even if the civilian population also does not like them.

They are also probably trying to signal to the west how "western" they are. In the event that the PRC decides to retake the island who else but the west will have the might to save them?
SolarCross wrote:They are also probably trying to signal to the west how "western" they are. In the event that the PRC decides to retake the island who else but the west will have the might to save them?

True. It would also help give Taiwan the human rights edge with the UN? Then again, who gives a shit about the UN. :lol:
Rancid wrote:My guess is, the government itself wants to make itself more distinct from the mainland, so they are pushing things the mainland does not like. Even if the civilian population also does not like them.

I don't think the move in Taiwan is having this layer of meaning.

Besides I haven't seen the CCP giving so much of a crap on LGBT, although it surely doesn't get along with any government who wants steady population. There are serious persecutions, yes, but LGBT are not particularly picked out compared with, say, other human rights activism.
SolarCross wrote:They are also probably trying to signal to the west how "western" they are. In the event that the PRC decides to retake the island who else but the west will have the might to save them?

At least Japan and the Philipines are not to be underestimated, even Russia cannot be considered as 100% pro-China.

Besides Taiwan has a standing military so they are not as defenseless as Hong Kong.

Mind you, Ryukyu / Okinawa will be under serious threat if Taiwan is lost.
Rancid wrote:The world is going to get very interesting within the next 50 years or so.

Many different global issues & tensions will be coming to a head in this time frame.

Interesting in that we will have a high chance to die of nuclear blast, radiation, starvation, etc.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]

This is too verbose to excuse thinking teaching ho[…]

Let me guess, those were Hamas fighters like the o[…]

@FiveofSwords What a professor of biological […]