Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Well the Chinese aren’t dumb. They must understand that there were 2 systems in place and that an adjustment of the magnitude being asked from Hong Kong is cruel.

So, the question is, how cruel can China be? A history of a one child policy, forced abortions, yanking newborns from the womb and killing them :hmm: oh yeah, they can do cruel. Can they do human? :|
ness31 wrote:Well the Chinese aren’t dumb. They must understand that there were 2 systems in place and that an adjustment of the magnitude being asked from Hong Kong is cruel.

So, the question is, how cruel can China be? A history of a one child policy, forced abortions, yanking newborns from the womb and killing them :hmm: oh yeah, they can do cruel. Can they do human? :|

I see things as more fundamental than that....

This is the Mandarin Beijing Mainlanders trying to wreck the economy, political power and strength of the Cantonese main "international REAL capital even if Canton/Guangzhou is the mainland capital" city of Hong Kong. Internal racism is a larger factor than most people realise.

Let's face it, ask any non-chinese person to name the most famous non-political Chinese person of the 20th century and the list is probably dominated by the Cantonese. Bruce Lee, Donnie Yen, Chow Yun-fat and Jackie Chan are all Cantonese.

Even mainlanders like Jet Li made it famous mostly starring in Hong Kong Cinema so most people think he's Cantonese too.
Last edited by colliric on 17 Jun 2019 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
This is being blown out of proportion by the usual suspects. It's the result of poor maneuvering by Hong Kong's present government. If Beijing wanted this so badly, it would crush the protesters and send them off to camps in Xinjiang for re-education, after implement the extradition law overnight. Hong Kong comprises less than 1.5% of the mainland GDP and China is involved in a full blown tariff war with the west already. There is nothing the west could retaliate with if China decided to put this little colony back to work.

Fact is Beijing isn't even involved. Hong Kong will be incorporated into Guangdong slowly, there is no rush. This bleating about muh momentary democracy and determination is a meme. There is no way out for Hong Kong's Munchhausen syndrome patients. British Empire is no more and it can't come back to oppress them.
Igor Antunov wrote:It's the result of poor maneuvering by Hong Kong's present government. If Beijing wanted this so badly

Carrie Lam is a bitch that needs to go. This is entirely her fault. Pushing it though even when Beijing wasn't even asking for it(according to her anyway).

British Empire is no more and it can't come back to oppress them.

Lol I know you're joking....

You technically still live under Queen Elizabeth 2 and have the Union Jack still dominantly positioned in the top left corner of the country's flag....

Remember Hong Kong gave you this big screen export to enjoy:

And this one started as his Stuntman:
Igor Antunov wrote:This is being blown out of proportion by the usual suspects. It's the result of poor maneuvering by Hong Kong's present government. If Beijing wanted this so badly, it would crush the protesters and send them off to camps in Xinjiang for re-education, after implement the extradition law overnight. Hong Kong comprises less than 1.5% of the mainland GDP and China is involved in a full blown tariff war with the west already. There is nothing the west could retaliate with if China decided to put this little colony back to work.

Fact is Beijing isn't even involved. Hong Kong will be incorporated into Guangdong slowly, there is no rush. This bleating about muh momentary democracy and determination is a meme. There is no way out for Hong Kong's Munchhausen syndrome patients. British Empire is no more and it can't come back to oppress them.

I fully agree that the events highlighted in your message is still possible to happen, because:
  1. Carrie Lam still isn't fired
  2. No officials from China publicly admit they were wrong by even remotely supporting it. (I agree that they don't have to be actively involved though)
  3. Xi Jinping is not someone who will easily back down

However, denouncing the protesters as having "Munchhausen syndrome" and claiming there are "Usual suspects", means you are indeed just another pro-China troll. As a matter of fact, you are insulting almost everybody I know, including almost all members of my extended family. This point alone can render you "not worth living". Count your blessings because I am not Himmler.
Patrickov wrote:No officials from China publicly admit they were wrong by even remotely supporting it.

Given that I'm married to a Hong Konger (although, now she's finding out more about hte family history, and she may be part Singaporean and mainlander as well lol).

My observation of the Chinese is that they basically do not know how to apologize about anything. I would image this extends to the government. :lol:
Rancid wrote:Given that I'm married to a Hong Konger (although, now she's finding out more about her family history, and she may be part Singaporean and mainlander as well lol).

Most Hongkongers and Singaporeans came from Mainland at one point or another, though not necessarily after PRC was established. (Heck, even prominent Thais like Thaksin, Yingluck and Abhisit were descended from those people!)

Rancid wrote:My observation of the Chinese is that they basically do not know how to apologize about anything. I would image this extends to the government. :lol:

I don't like apologizing either (that makes me feel defeated), although the person in concern being your spouse means that you are not getting an objective observation :lol:
Patrickov wrote:I don't like apologizing either (that makes me feel defeated), although the person in concern being your spouse means that you are not getting an objective observation :lol:

My wife is pretty Americanized, so I wouldn't put her down as purely culturally Chinese. I was actually thinking more about her parents and the concept of "saving face". They are not capable of apologizing for anything, even when it's just so damn obvious that they should.
Last edited by Rancid on 17 Jun 2019 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:Given that I'm married to a Hong Konger (although, now she's finding out more about hte family history, and she may be part Singaporean and mainlander as well lol).

My observation of the Chinese is that they basically do not know how to apologize about anything. I would image this extends to the government. :lol:

She's got Cantonese ancestry, ultimately the Cantonese are from Guangzhou (Canton city) and Guangdong (Canton Province). Hong Kong was founded by the British, but obviously it's population is Cantonese... And ultimately they did arrive on boats to Hong Kong and Lantau island from the mainland.

Now if she said she had Mandarin ancestry, that would be a bit different.

Hong Konger is a fairly new ethnic term simply meaning Hong Kong Cantonese, because of how
infamously extremely patriotic they are to their home city. Kinda like New Yorker. New Yorkers are obviously still Americans and ultimately connected to "Upstate New York People" despite their infamous hard-on for their own Island city too. Likely to say "I'm a New Yorker from New York City!" Not "I'm an American from New York State!".

Carrie Lam must go. An apology isn't enough. The bill must not go ahead.

Beijing apparently didn't even want this extradition bill(publically) to proceed anyway.

I actually think they're tell the truth on that one, who wants a 2 million strong most likely months long protest to destabilize everything? Not even the CCP are that stupid(although I admit they could be.... They were stupid enough to send tanks to Tiananmen Square).....
Hong Kong’s embattled chief executive is expected to offer an apology to protesters and she would suspend the extradition bill. She said her government would not try to pass the legislation again. I guess Beijing doesn't want to prolong the crisis. President Donald Trump said he understands Hong Kong protesters who have risen up against plans to allow extraditions to China, but hopes they can "work it out" with Beijing.

Hong Kong’s embattled chief executive is expected to offer an apology to protesters in person, local media have reported, the day after she said in private that the extradition law that sparked mass demonstrations was effectively dead.

In a private meeting with a group of about 20 educators on Monday, Lam claimed her decision to suspend the bill on Saturday meant “total withdrawal”, the RTHK news site reported.

Teddy Tang, the chairman of the Association of the Heads of Secondary Schools, quoted Lam telling the closed-doors meeting that her government would not try to pass the legislation again. But it is unclear if she will make a similar commitment in public.

Lam’s announcement on Saturday that she would suspend the bill, days after she promised to ram it through the legislature, was a humiliating climbdown for both Beijing and the woman it had hand-picked to rule Hong Kong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ition-bill
Hong Kong will fall under the suzerainty of mainland China in 2047. That's a date certain. Meanwhile, the mainland government sees Hong Kong as a small boy sees a luscious birthday cake. A small taste of the icing ... .
colliric wrote:Kinda like New Yorker. New Yorkers are obviously still Americans and ultimately connected to "Upstate New York People" despite their infamous hard-on for their own Island city too. Likely to say "I'm a New Yorker from New York City!" Not "I'm an American from New York State!".

Yea, I get it. It's also how Texans always say "I'm from Texas" rather than "I'm from the US"
ThirdTerm wrote:Hong Kong’s embattled chief executive is expected to offer an apology to protesters and she would suspend the extradition bill. She said her government would not try to pass the legislation again. I guess Beijing doesn't want to prolong the crisis. President Donald Trump said he understands Hong Kong protesters who have risen up against plans to allow extraditions to China, but hopes they can "work it out" with Beijing.

As I said, Donald Trump is playing "good cop" here, because anything that punishes the Commie cock-suckers in Hong Kong will be passed in the Congress not from him. Perfect Executive-Legislative cooperation if I must say.

Besides he's going to see Xi Jinping a few days later. Attacking your upcoming negotiation partner is not always a good idea, unless you know you can trump him.
Patrickov wrote:As I said, Donald Trump is playing "good cop" here, because anything that punishes the Commie cock-suckers in Hong Kong will be passed in the Congress not from him. Perfect Executive-Legislative cooperation if I must say.

I'd imagine this is because Hong Kong isn't really a strategic city for the US. Whether it's independent from the mainland, or absorbed by the mainland doesn't really change US-China relations.
Rancid wrote:I'd imagine this is because Hong Kong isn't really a strategic city for the US. Whether it's independent from the mainland, or absorbed by the mainland doesn't really change US-China relations.

Not really. China is actually rather eager to take away foreign presence in Hong Kong, and probably many will not be happy. Besides, if Hong Kong falls the next will be Taiwan, and this severely threatens American influence in the West Pacific.
Patrickov wrote:Not really. China is actually rather eager to take away foreign presence in Hong Kong, and probably many will not be happy. Besides, if Hong Kong falls the next will be Taiwan, and this severely threatens American influence in the West Pacific.

In the last 20-30 years, I've never heard the US be vocal about Hong Kong independence. I think from the time Hong Kong was returned to China, the US knew it cannot do anything about Hong Kong getting absorbed by China.

Geopolitically speaking, the US defending/promoting Taiwan Independence is more justifiable than promoting that with Hong Kong. A better argument can be made that Taiwan really is an independent nation. That cannot be said of Hong Kong.

Actually... was Hong Kong ever an independent city-state before British rule? I've always assumed no. Maybe I'm wrong there.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]