Obese America - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MistyTiger
I find that I lose more weight when I challenge myself to burn more calories per week through more intense exercises. I am trying to add in more core strengthening exercises and slowly increasing my running time. I need to up the number of squats and lunges too.
By Godstud
Diet is 75% of weight loss. Exercise is 25%.

I dieted and lost a lot of weight, but when you exercise, that weight gets transferred to muscle and oft times you cannot diet properly, because of the extra exercise requiring more energy.

I had to completely get rid of potatoes and corn from my diet, as well as soda pop, beer, etc. that have lots of sugar. Low carbs and low sugar diet will do more than exercise, unless you have 3 hours a day for that, I mean...
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:I find that I lose more weight when I challenge myself to burn more calories per week through more intense exercises. I am trying to add in more core strengthening exercises and slowly increasing my running time. I need to up the number of squats and lunges too.

Running is good for your heart and lungs as long as you don't have to breath in polluted air. Running always made me feel good. Just be careful that you save your knees by not running too much on hard surfaces, like concrete.
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:Running is good for your heart and lungs as long as you don't have to breath in polluted air. Running always made me feel good. Just be careful that you save your knees by not running too much on hard surfaces, like concrete.

I like running outside. I run on the road and my knees hurt at times, but not that often. I only run 1.5 miles. On weekends I run on the treadmill. In the winter I will be running on the treadmill more. I also swim which has improved my lung capacity and helped tone my muscles.
By Godstud
Get better shoes. That's very important if you have to run on pavement. The treadmill's a lot softer.
By MistyTiger
Godstud wrote:Diet is 75% of weight loss. Exercise is 25%.

I dieted and lost a lot of weight, but when you exercise, that weight gets transferred to muscle and oft times you cannot diet properly, because of the extra exercise requiring more energy.

I had to completely get rid of potatoes and corn from my diet, as well as soda pop, beer, etc. that have lots of sugar. Low carbs and low sugar diet will do more than exercise, unless you have 3 hours a day for that, I mean...

I heard that having more muscle helps with burning calories even if you are sleeping. I have spent years toning my leg and lower body muscles. I feel good walking into a room or looking at how leggings fit me.

I still eat corn and potatoes but not all the time. I eat mostly vegetables, fish and pasta. But I do not eat carbs after 5. If my weight loss is slow, it is fine. I do not want fast loss, that could be hard on my heart. I believe in slow and steady progress. As long as I keep the weight off and I can wear smaller clothes, it is great. I know I can reach my fitness goal and I want to do it safely.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:I like running outside. I run on the road and my knees hurt at times, but not that often. I only run 1.5 miles. On weekends I run on the treadmill. In the winter I will be running on the treadmill more. I also swim which has improved my lung capacity and helped tone my muscles.

When I was in the Army, I used to run on a two mile oval dirt track especially made because we had to pass a physical training test that required timing us at a two mile run. Before that we just had the normal quarter mile track that required 8 laps to complete the two miles. That made it more difficult for the timers to keep track of everyone and how many laps they had done.

After I retired from the Army, I continues to run at least two miles, but often I ran on paved roads and concrete sidewalks. With all that pounding on the hard surfaces, I noticed some pain in my knees after a few years. I then started driving to a track at a nearby YMCA and ran around that track.

Swimming is good. I also went swimming from time to time. I used to swim at Lake Tyler near where I was raised in Texas and a pond that was in the woods behind where we lived. My first tour overseas was to Okinawa and that was the first time I was able to swim laps in a big swimming pool. Fort Gordon also had an indoor swimming pool that was nice in the winter months. I haven't done any swimming since I left the Army. It would probably be hard for me now.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to keep in shape and keep your weight down. I never did any dieting, since the exercise was good enough to keep my weight down. But now, in my old age, I do a lot less exercise and no running at all, my weight has gradually increased over time because I still eat anything I want.
By BigSteve
I can't really run anymore. My knees are shot from spending 20 years on the steel decks of Navy ships. I like swimming, but don't really have access to a lap pool these days.

I'm looking at bicycles now. I want to stay around a grand or so. I'm not running the Tour de France anytime soon, but I don't want a bike that's a piece of shit, either...
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:When I was in the Army, I used to run on a two mile oval dirt track especially made because we had to pass a physical training test that required timing us at a two mile run. Before that we just had the normal quarter mile track that required 8 laps to complete the two miles. That made it more difficult for the timers to keep track of everyone and how many laps they had done.

After I retired from the Army, I continues to run at least two miles, but often I ran on paved roads and concrete sidewalks. With all that pounding on the hard surfaces, I noticed some pain in my knees after a few years. I then started driving to a track at a nearby YMCA and ran around that track.

Swimming is good. I also went swimming from time to time. I used to swim at Lake Tyler near where I was raised in Texas and a pond that was in the woods behind where we lived. My first tour overseas was to Okinawa and that was the first time I was able to swim laps in a big swimming pool. Fort Gordon also had an indoor swimming pool that was nice in the winter months. I haven't done any swimming since I left the Army. It would probably be hard for me now.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to keep in shape and keep your weight down. I never did any dieting, since the exercise was good enough to keep my weight down. But now, in my old age, I do a lot less exercise and no running at all, my weight has gradually increased over time because I still eat anything I want.

I used to run on the track in the college gym. It was a small indoor clay track. It felt like running on a clay tennis court. It took about 13 laps to make a mile. I never ran 13. I got tired after 7.

The route outside the office is mostly straight with a few curves and from end to end is a little over 2 miles. I run most of it with the occasional stretch break. Some days I have sore feet, probably from leaping to the side because some vehicles are driving a bit too fast and I try to stay out of their way.

I live in a city with a local pool. It's great when I can go. The only things I do not like are that lap swimming starts at 11 am most of the time and now and then one of the local swim teams will take over the pool and then I do not swim that day. If I get rich, I will install an indoor pool in my back yard, I could hire some guys to build a pool house. Someday... :lol:

I only started really losing weight 2 years ago when I resumed running. Before that, I was gaining weight. I too do not diet. I eat what I want to eat though I have been eating smaller portions for a few years. My job also helps me with keeping my weight down, I am walking back and forth to see my manager or going to the printer.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:I only started really losing weight 2 years ago when I resumed running. Before that, I was gaining weight. I too do not diet. I eat what I want to eat though I have been eating smaller portions for a few years. My job also helps me with keeping my weight down, I am walking back and forth to see my manager or going to the printer.

My doctor mentioned to me about an intermittent fasting plan to lose weight, since I don't like to diet. He said there are different plans and he said he thought the easiest one to start with was the one by which males fast for 16 hours and then eat what they want for the remaining 8 hours of the day. Females fast for 14 hours and eat what they want for the remaining 10 hours of the day.

The example he recommended for me was to start eating each day at 12 noon with a good breakfast or lunch and eat my supper before 8 pm. The idea of the fast is that there is a time period in which your body is forced to burn stored fat for energy. During the period that you don't eat you should drink plenty of water or no-calorie beverages.

However, I just heard on the news that there was a study that found that people who continually drink two or more diet sodas a day are shown to be as much as 50% more likely to suffer a stroke or heart attack. I guess I will have to limit my diet Dr. Peppers or Cokes to only one a day from now on.
By Godstud
Changing your diet, and being ON a diet, are two different things. Change your diet, permanently, and then you won't have to diet, as you'll simply be removing shit foods from your diet, or maybe limiting them to a weekly sort of thing.

I like my pizza, so I have one a week, while watching Saturday NRL.
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:Changing your diet, and being ON a diet, are two different things. Change your diet, permanently, and then you won't have to diet, as you'll simply be removing shit foods from your diet, or maybe limiting them to a weekly sort of thing.

I like my pizza, so I have one a week, while watching Saturday NRL.

I like pizza too. I don't consider any food I eat as shit food. It is all good food to me.
HalleluYah
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:My doctor mentioned to me about an intermittent fasting plan to lose weight, since I don't like to diet. He said there are different plans and he said he thought the easiest one to start with was the one by which males fast for 16 hours and then eat what they want for the remaining 8 hours of the day. Females fast for 14 hours and eat what they want for the remaining 10 hours of the day.

The example he recommended for me was to start eating each day at 12 noon with a good breakfast or lunch and eat my supper before 8 pm. The idea of the fast is that there is a time period in which your body is forced to burn stored fat for energy. During the period that you don't eat you should drink plenty of water or no-calorie beverages.

However, I just heard on the news that there was a study that found that people who continually drink two or more diet sodas a day are shown to be as much as 50% more likely to suffer a stroke or heart attack. I guess I will have to limit my diet Dr. Peppers or Cokes to only one a day from now on.

Ah. I could not fast like that. I get really hungry during the day. At any all you can eat buffet, I can eat a lot. I do not eat like the average female. I cannot eat salads or just avocados and soup. I need hearty meals.

I was advised to cut down on sodas. So I usually only drink soda at parties or company events, not every day. Sodas have at least 9 tablespoons of sugar in them. I also avoid sports drinks and juice.

I have a 1.3 L water bottle that I carry around at work and around the house. It can be hard to just drink water, but it hydrates me and I know I am not drinking in tons of sugar. Besides, I sometimes snack on corn chips or cookies. :D
By Godstud
Corn chips are about the worst thing you can snack on.

Most drinks contain a lot of sugar. Sugar is horrible for you, overall.
By MistyTiger
Godstud wrote:Corn chips are about the worst thing you can snack on.

Most drinks contain a lot of sugar. Sugar is horrible for you, overall.

And chips can make my gums swell up. I do not eat them every day. I tend to like salty food.

I love those smoothies but those made me gain weight.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:And chips can make my gums swell up. I do not eat them every day. I tend to like salty food.

I love those smoothies but those made me gain weight.

Too much salt can cause your body to retain water, so more than your gums can swell. Sugar provides quick energy, but if it is not burned for energy rather quickly, it will be stored as fat which your body tries to hold on to. A fast is used to force your body to burn that fat for energy even without much exercise, since your quick energy from sugar and starches is no longer available during the fasting period.
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:Too much salt can cause your body to retain water, so more than your gums can swell. Sugar provides quick energy, but if it is not burned for energy rather quickly, it will be stored as fat which your body tries to hold on to. A fast is used to force your body to burn that fat for energy even without much exercise, since your quick energy from sugar and starches is no longer available during the fasting period.

Yeah. I do not eat salty foods all the time. I rarely eat french fries...I did eat some last March...yum. My body loves to hold onto sugar and fat. So what I have been doing is building muscle and running most days and it has really helped. People can see that I have lost weight. The guys at work check me out when they think I am not looking.

If I fasted, my metabolism would slow down and I would burn fewer calories. I have even read that sleeping naked in a cold room can help with fat burning since your body will work harder to keep you warm, but with some that could lead to illness. I would come down with a mild cough probably.
By Godstud
Fasting for about 16 hours isn't bad for you. It's as simple as eating your last meal before 6 PM and not eating the following day til around 10 AM.

The myth about sleeping in a cool place and getting sick is a myth.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:Yeah. I do not eat salty foods all the time. I rarely eat french fries...I did eat some last March...yum. My body loves to hold onto sugar and fat. So what I have been doing is building muscle and running most days and it has really helped. People can see that I have lost weight. The guys at work check me out when they think I am not looking.

I wish I could take a peek. :)

Semafor. :lol: The Intercept :lol:

Morgan freeman is black Of course, Morgan Freema[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This is why they are committed to warmongering.[…]

@ingliz I know you want this disgusting ideolog[…]