Genocide in Myanmar and no one cares. - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Godstud wrote:You're arguing from emotion, and not reason.

When you run out of arguments, you accuse your opponent of having feelings.
You sound like TIG with his ripostes about fee fee feelings.
Seeing what is happening in Europe, especially Germany, Sweden and France, is not based on emotions at all. The attacks on women, Jews, even the police, are facts, not feelings.
You have painted yourself in a corner. By attacking posters who oppose mass immigration, you have identified yourself as an advocate for open borders. And now you are denying that.
I am ready to let this go if you are. You started this by ridiculing me that I was concerned with the mass immigration of Muslims into Europe and their hateful and strong anti-semitism.
Ter wrote:You started this by ridiculing me that I was concerned with the mass immigration of Muslims into Europe and their hateful and strong anti-semitism.
That was unrelated to this topic. Not even fucking close. And I didn't LIE.

You were not concerned about their hateful and strong antisemitism, however. You were concerned about ALL Muslims, and making broad generalizations that don't bear significance when reality is included. This seemed to be completely out of character for you, but perhaps I am mistaken... That is why I responded to what you said, as I did.

Fears are feelings, incidentally.

That is, however, not the topic.
skinster wrote:As if you just found out Ter is a racist/bigot. :eh:

Ah yes, skinster jumping in to attack me, on the back of another discussion. As she has done before also. Cheap, as usual.
It seems to me that the accusation of bigot
"a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race "
applies more to herself than to me, seeing how she raves against people having a different opinion in political matters.

Not that her opinion of me will make me lose sleep over it.
skinster wrote:As if you just found out Ter is a racist/bigot. :eh:

You lost the moral high ground when you began supporting repressive dictatorships.

And are you sure there really are human rights abuses in Myanmar? It could just all be CIA propaganda. You should send jimjam in as your special rapporteur.
Suntzu wrote:Didn't these poor Muslims start this by attacking the police? :roll:

Of course they did, that and more, but in the minds of assorted deviants and Burb Brats, Muslims can do no wrong, nor can any cult that wants to kill Jews and Europeans or especially Christians. Muslims are Super heroes to nihilists and every gimp on the planet with Daddy Issues.
Oberon wrote:Of course they did, that and more, but in the minds of assorted deviants and Burb Brats, Muslims can do no wrong, nor can any cult that wants to kill Jews and Europeans or especially Christians. Muslims are Super heroes to nihilists and every gimp on the planet with Daddy Issues.

So you support the genocide/ethnic cleansing of Muslims?
An article that Pants-of-dog posted wrote:Canada should take a leadership role in responding to the Rohingya crisis by ramping up humanitarian aid and development efforts and showing a willingness to welcome refugees from the region, Bob Rae, Canada's special envoy to Myanmar, says in his final report.

Maybe we should give the Rohingya the homes that our Metis people used to live in before they were shot to death by incoming Euro-Protestants?

Or maybe they should be allowed to settle into what was once Acadia before English-Canadians pushed them at gunpoint into the sea?

What high-road can Canada take, POD? Isn't Bob Rae just looking for identity-politics votes and cheap, alienated labor?

The U.N. is set to publish a report on the crisis on Monday and the United Nations Security Council will hold a briefing on Myanmar on Tuesday.

The United States will continue to hold accountable those responsible for what he described as the "abhorrent ethnic cleansing" of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Saturday.
Pompeo's statement came on the one year anniversary of the conflict in western Myanmar’s Rakhine state that drove more than 700,000 Rohingya from their homes into neighbouring Bangladesh.
"A year ago, following deadly militant attacks, security forces responded by launching abhorrent ethnic cleansing of ethnic #Rohingya in Burma," Pompeo said on Twitter, using an alternative name for Myanmar.
"The U.S. will continue to hold those responsible accountable. The military must respect human rights for #Burma’s democracy to succeed."
The military ruled Myanmar for nearly 50 years after seizing power in a 1962 coup and retains considerable powers under a 2008 constitution.
Myanmar government spokesmen Zaw Htay was unavailable for comment on Sunday.
The government, led by Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, has denied refugees' allegations of atrocities, saying security forces lawfully suppressed Muslim militants in Rakhine.
Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh held demonstrations and prayers on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the outbreak of the conflict.
Thousands of refugees marched prayed and chanted slogans in events across the sprawling camps in southern Bangladesh. Many wore black ribbons to commemorate what they said was the start of the “Rohingya genocide”.
Across the border in Myanmar, the government said security patrols had been increased in the conflict area ahead of the anniversary for fear of further violence. Members of the mostly Buddhist Rakhine ethnic group and Hindus from Rakhine state said they would hold events to remember those killed by Rohingya militants in attacks that triggered the crisis.
Earlier this month, the United States imposed sanctions on four Myanmar military and police commanders and two army units, accusing them of "ethnic cleansing" against Rohingya Muslims and widespread human rights abuses across the Southeast Asian nation.
International pressure on Myanmar has been growing as U.N.-mandated investigators are set to publish a report on the crisis on Monday and the United Nations Security Council will hold a briefing on Myanmar on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myan ... SKCN1LB06V
Rohingyas in Bangladesh face tide of hostility as welcome turns to fear

File Photo: Rohingya refugees shout slogans as they gather to mark the second anniversary of the exodus at the Kutupalong camp in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, Aug 25, 2019. REUTERS

When more than 730,000 Rohingyas fled into Bangladesh from Myanmar in 2017, Bangladeshi journalist Sharif Azad was sympathetic to the plight of his fellow Muslims, survivors of a military-led crackdown the United Nations has branded genocide.

The reporter, from the southern corner of Bangladesh that has become home to the world’s largest refugee settlement, said he wrote accounts of the traumatised, exhausted Rohingyas and did what he could to help.

“All the people did it,” said Azad, in his office near a bustling market outside the town of Cox's Bazar.

"We provided the food. We provided land.”

Two years on, Azad runs a campaign against the Rohingya, aiming to see them confined to their camps behind barbed wire until they can be sent back to Myanmar.

“We will continue our movement until repatriation happens,” said Azad, who said his group now has 1,000 members, and is one of several that have sprung up with the same aims.

Most Rohingya Muslims are denied citizenship in Buddhist-majority Myanmar, where they are regarded as interlopers, illegal immigrants from South Asia.

Rohingyas were driven from their villages in Myanmar into Bangladesh in the 1970s and again in the 1990s, fleeing what they said was persecution at the hands of the Myanmar military.

But the latest influx has been the biggest.

Myanmar denies accusations of genocide. It says its armed forces have carried out legitimate operations against Rohingya militants who attacked security forces.

In Bangladesh, the deterioration of relations between the "host" community and the newcomers has been so precipitous some now fear serious violence.

"I've lived to see three influxes and this is the worst,” said Bangladeshi labourer Khadir Hussein, 60, in a tea shop in the border town of Teknaf.

“We feel if they attack us, how will we survive? We're a minority in our land.”

'TAKING MEASURES'

Many Bangladeshis accuse the Rohingya of crime, taking jobs and pushing down wages.

Once-lush forests have been cleared for the camps and the road to Cox's Bazar, the nearest major town, is clogged with aid trucks. A trip that used to take an hour can now take four on rutted, broken roads.

Recently, a hundreds-strong mob blocked roads and destroyed shops frequented by Rohingya as well as some UN offices, in a protest against the killing of a Bangladeshi ruling party youth leader.

Several Rohingyas accused of involvement in the murder were later shot dead in what the police said were gunfights.

Senior Cox’s Bazar police official Iqbal Hossain said there had been a rise in crime, though the rate among refugees was no higher than that among Bangladeshis.

He acknowledged the growing animosity towards the refugees.

"This is going to be tough to control so many people,” he said. “The government is taking measures to prevent any untoward situation.”

In a bamboo camp shelter, four refugees who asked not to be identified said they had fled from their homes after the recent mob attack, scrambling to gather children and belongings, in a state of terror they likened to their panicked flight from Myanmar.

"When we came here, we came to save our lives,” said one refugee, his voice shaking,

"But here, we're not safe. We're very afraid.”

Bangladesh has said all of the Rohingya must go home but not one agreed to last month in a second bid to get a repatriation process going. Refugees cite fears of violence and persecution back in Myanmar.

'BAD ELEMENTS'

With tension between the communities rising, authorities have clamped down, cutting the internet in the camps and trying to confiscate phones, citing security concerns.

The sale of phone SIM cards to refugees has been forbidden.

HT Imam, an adviser to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, accused "foreign forces" of mobilising the Rohingya against Bangladesh's interests. He called the role of international aid agencies "mysterious".

"It is becoming clear there are unwanted people and bad elements among the Rohingyas, and they have been used by foreign forces,” he said.

"The camps should be surrounded by barbed wire to stop all ... criminal activities.”

UNHCR spokeswoman Caroline Gluck said in an email the agency "would recommend the adoption of security measures that do not impact upon the ability of refugees to access basic services and rights and live safely".

Regarding the communication restrictions, she said: "Technology has been an important way for the refugees to communicate with family and friends, and humanitarian agencies to disseminate and access information.”

But technology has also been used to fuel fear and suspicion.

A flurry of rumours about Rohingya and international aid groups has appeared on Facebook and in newspapers.

In August, Azad posted a photo on Facebook showing piles of sharp objects and accused a non-governmental group of hiring the shop making them to arm refugees. The post was shared hundreds of times.

But staff at the shop told Reuters the tools were not weapons and the Bangladeshi NGO caught up in the affair said they were weeding tools for villagers.

The febrile atmosphere is contributing to a sense of despair.

“They have the pen, they have the gun, they have a country. I have nothing,” one Rohingya man told Reuters.

“Please pray for us,” he said.

https://bdnews24.com/neighbours/2019/09 ... ns-to-fear

They have outstayed their welcome it seems.
Nobody wants them.

The Government has cut all mobile phone reception in the area of the refugee camps.
No one cares because it doesn't fit people's political agendas.

This is the cold hard truth of humanitarian issues. Most people really don't give a shit. Or rather, they only give a shit when it helps them to give a shit.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]