Blackface: Canada's Racist PM - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15035029
@BigSteve I hate shit like this.

Something someone does years ago in their past gets dredged up by some opposition campaign investigators and everyone's supposed to be disgusted and dismayed, and the person in question faces calls to step down.


I completely agree. There are things, like alleged rape, that are fair game after many years. But stuff like this? Meh. Don't care.

Blackjacks point: "Like the picture of Al Franken mock grabbing the boobs of a young woman, I think it is funny. However, it is a situation where the left has to eat their own in order to maintain the credibility of their holier-than-thou disposition."


Spot on. The political left has constructed a position in which there are no degrees of "bad". They do not recognize minor issues as minor or differentiate them from major one. The Al Franken debacle was a perfect example. To this day I do not understand why a comedian, doing something funny means that he is disqualified to represent the people of a state that sent a comedian to the Senate in the first place. All the more ironic in this case because Franken was a tireless supporter of women's rights and issues. But the far left wing of the democratic party has to get rid of him because.......well just because.

I won't try to justify what the youngster did. But it bears mentioning that Canada is a very different country from the US with a very different history. Slavery in Canada (except for that extensively practiced by aboriginals) was a historical footnote. Canada has not been a hotbed of institutional discrimination such as we still see in the US.

At the end of the day though, this is what happens when we loose perspective and over react to the issue du jeor.
#15035068
So, the real argument is that conservatives are upset that liberals are not having the emotional reactions that conservatives want them to.


No. The real argument is that conservatives are not upset at all over such a trivial thing so long ago.

He said he was sorry. Get over it.

You can't blame us for gloating a little to see the feeding frenzy building around this hogwash.
#15035074
The left has been relentless in the second half of the 20th century in pointing out right wing / conservative hypocrisy when it came to morality. Those who were most outspoken about moral principles but didn't live up to them in their own lives were subjected to ridicule and scathing criticism all the time. As far as I can tell, this was effective to some extent.

Tables have turned now, with progressives having become more fervent and zealous, almost puritanical, in their moral code and their persecution (cancellation in modern parlance) of even minor transgressions for which often no proof is required but allegations suffice. Of course, they should expect to now have to deal with the same ridicule and criticism.

There's something different about this however. What progressives today find cancel-worthy are actions and statements that were pretty normal and common among a large chunk, if not the majority, of the population fairly recently, so that this is fertile ground for vengeful people or careerists to try and weaken, damage or get rid of competition or opponents. Since a lot of people, and especially those who might otherwise not be able to succeed, can benefit from these witch hunts, they are unlikely to subside or stop anytime soon, but part of the solution must certainly be that progressives themselves feel the pain.
#15035084
Blackjack:

That some of its leaders are fraudulent... After all, I live in a plutocracy of very wealthy "woke" people who support supplying heroin addicts with sterile needles and methadone (invented by the Nazis), leaving mentally ill and addicted people unable to care for themselves homeless on the streets while purporting to be for universal healthcare.

What a crazy idea.

Best you lookup the Portuguese drug problem and how they solved it.

No. He's not a racist in a political sense. In a non-political sense, he is a racist--AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. It's natural. Similarly, Donald Trump is not a racist. You won't find pictures of Donald Trump dressed up in black face--and you can be sure there is a well-paid army of people trying to dig up anything they can on Trump.


(Sigh)

We don't act on our base instincts all the time; we treat others with the respect we'd ask for and we expect it in return.

Unless you think that living like base instinct, animalistic cavemen is preferable? And racism should just be accepted?

That way leads to the tyranny of the 'strongest. I don't want to live in a nasty society like that, do you?

Oh, I think one can hope for a great deal more--like not being so absurdly sanctimonious given ones own attitudes.


So he shouldn't try to rise above his base level instincts to do better?

This was what, 18 years ago?

Of course he's racist. He's just not advocating race-based political policies.

Like saying, "You can grab 'em by the pussy." The point is that one political faction in particular tries to destroy people's reputations with the hopes of disqualifying them from public office for exactly the type of thing Trudeau himself has done many times.


No he hasn't 'done it many times'. That's sophistry.
#15035104
Drlee wrote:No. The real argument is that conservatives are not upset at all over such a trivial thing so long ago.

He said he was sorry. Get over it.


Then you need to reread what @Hong Wu wrote.

He was clearly arguing that liberals should be enraged and it is actually a problem that centre and left leaning liberals are also not that upset.

So he thinks they are wrong because they are not upset, and you think they are wrong because they are upset. Oddly enough, Hing Wu is actually more correct.

You can't blame us for gloating a little to see the feeding frenzy building around this hogwash.


I had not noticed any frenzy at all.
#15035108
Pants-of-dog wrote:So, the real argument is that conservatives are upset that liberals are not having the emotional reactions that conservatives want them to.

I don't think they are upset. I think they are laughing at Justin Trudeau, and the weirdness of the political left. It's as though they blame conservatives via projection the things about themselves that they don't like.

Presvias wrote:What a crazy idea.

Best you lookup the Portuguese drug problem and how they solved it.

I don't think the left really wants to spend more money on the poor. I think the whole thing is a wealth transfer scheme from those who have to the themselves with the promise of helping the have nots. Medicaid doesn't provide treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism. Mental health is a separate issue. They cannot commit people to mental institutions. The idea is that if they can dispense pills to people, then they can say they did their part and the rest is up to the patient.

Presvias wrote:And racism should just be accepted?

That way leads to the tyranny of the 'strongest. I don't want to live in a nasty society like that, do you?

Racism as a political policy? No. Racism as a fact of life? Yes. We already live in a tyranny of the strongest for all intents and purposes. Although, I think the establishment is rotten and thus has become weak. That's part of why they face ongoing challenges.

Presvias wrote:So he shouldn't try to rise above his base level instincts to do better?

This was what, 18 years ago?

What he did was in poor taste, but what's funny is often something that is out of step with convention. I rather doubt anyone was really offended by it. He had two Sikhs standing next to him in one picture and they didn't look the least bit offended.

Presvias wrote:No he hasn't 'done it many times'. That's sophistry.

They already have videotape of at least three times, and Trudeau himself has said he wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

Justin Trudeau's star has lost its shine over blackface
#15035112
blackjack21 wrote:I don't think the left really wants to spend more money on the poor. I think the whole thing is a wealth transfer scheme from those who have to the themselves with the promise of helping the have nots. Medicaid doesn't provide treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism. Mental health is a separate issue. They cannot commit people to mental institutions. The idea is that if they can dispense pills to people, then they can say they did their part and the rest is up to the patient.


Ok I can see where you're coling from here. That's actually more of a policy of the right btw, ie Reagan-Thaycher's 'care in the community'/put a sticking plaster on it type approach.

But please do look up how the Portuguese fixed their drug problem, you will be intrigued.

Racism as a political policy? No. Racism as a fact of life? Yes. We already live in a tyranny of the strongest for all intents and purposes. Although, I think the establishment is rotten and thus has become weak. That's part of why they face ongoing challenges.


So you do want to live in a society like that.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. When a bigger fish comes along and eats you, don't complain to anyone else.

What he did was in poor taste, but what's funny is often something that is out of step with convention. I rather doubt anyone was really offended by it. He had two Sikhs standing next to him in one picture and they didn't look the least bit offended.


It's ignorant and yes, in poor taste.

People get offended by things like this because of historical racist linkage wrt 'blacking up'. It relates back to racist, colonialist supremacism. Just because 2 sikhs weren't offended, doesn't mean a lot.

They already have videotape of at least three times, and Trudeau himself has said he wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

Justin Trudeau's star has lost its shine over blackface


Ok fair enough, but it's all from the same time period roughly.
#15035117
Then you need to reread what @Hong Wu wrote.

He was clearly arguing that liberals should be enraged and it is actually a problem that centre and left leaning liberals are also not that upset.

So he thinks they are wrong because they are not upset, and you think they are wrong because they are upset. Oddly enough, Hing Wu is actually more correct.


He can make that argument if he likes. I disagree. Besides. I said this was about degree. It is not black and white. So to speak.
#15035120
Trudeau admitted that Canada was committing genocide. It had little effect on his popularity.

I doubt this will. The main reason this is getting any attention at all is because Canada is having a federal election right now. We are literally right in the middle of a campaign, and the Conservatives and Liberals are very close in projected votes and seats.
#15035126
I haven't realised Trudeau is expected to get firmly reelected, so I have to stop :lol: at @Hong Wu first.

18 minutes later...

I'd expect JT to handle this so well and professionally that I wouldn't be surprised if he could even turn it to his advantage.

#15037536
Looks like Trudeau was really into painting himself black and, if I'm not mistaken, even bulked up his trousers for good measure.

There are so many images now of him doing this, it actually comes across as an odd obsession. Weird.
#15037549
Godstud wrote:I suspect that if you go in the past(10 to 20 years) of every politician who has ever lived, that you would find them making stupid mistakes when they were younger, that would not reflect on who they are today. Note: I am not defending Trudeau's past actions. I am merely making the point.

Of course, if you're just looking to fling poo(which is obviously your goal here), well then go ahead. It's futile and puerile.

Then again, what would a person living in a plutocracy like CA, USA know about Canadian politics? ;)


I am old right of center and I have known since I have use of reason that black face is a MASSIVE insult to black people. Most my friends are right of center and none ever did black face growing up.

Trudeau is just a fraud. His schtick is to be the most woke anti-racist person in the entire milky way and yet he has done black face multiple times. IN one instance he even insert a large cylindrical object in his pants to simulate a HUGE black penis. This is not dressing up to celebrate an artist, this is nothing but good old racism. He is a condescending low expectations racist. His defense of minorities is done in a condescending manner. He feels compelled to help those beneath his social station. And when he asked for forgiveness he blamed his privilege or high social station for the racism. It was not him, but the privilege what did the racist act.

But, there is more, as PM he has been a massive failure and a wimp in the world stage.
#15037551
Apologizing for a misdeed in the past is something I am sure you're praise Trump for not doing, but it's patently unCanadian, to not do so when wrong. The situations in which he went 'blackface'(18 years ago) were in bad taste and stupid, but not relevant to the person he is now, or what he's doing now.

Julian658 wrote:But, there is more, as PM he has been a massive failure and a wimp in the world stage.
:lol: You've not been paying attention, it seems, as you are oblivious to facts. He's been one of the better leaders in world affairs and Canada has stepped up, with Trudeau's guidance, when USA has failed to act, due to its uncaring/thoughtless ruler.

Hell, did you even pay attention to the "handshake"?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... s-awkward/
#15037557
Godstud wrote:Apologizing for a misdeed in the past is something I am sure you're praise Trump for not doing, but it's patently unCanadian, to not do so when wrong. The situations in which he went 'blackface'(18 years ago) were in bad taste and stupid, but not relevant to the person he is now, or what he's doing now.

:lol: You've not been paying attention, it seems, as you are oblivious to facts. He's been one of the better leaders in world affairs and Canada has stepped up, with Trudeau's guidance, when USA has failed to act, due to its uncaring/thoughtless ruler.

Hell, did you even pay attention to the "handshake"?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... s-awkward/


I knew you would go all out to defend Trudeau. However, he is inept. He named his cabinet 50% female whether they were qualified or not. He is mostly driven by race gender ID politics and not logic. He is a condescending racist that feels that those that are of a lower social station or different skin color (or gender ) need him to survive. I understand you dig him because you agree with his race ID politics, but trust me, he is a fraud. ONly a racist would do blackface so many times in a lifetime.
#15037559
Trudeau has made many mistakes. I am not saying otherwise. His leadership on the world stage is not one of them.

Julian658 wrote:ONly a racist would do blackface so many times in a lifetime.
That's a really stupid generalization to make, as many people make stupid mistakes when they are younger, and regret them. He obviously regrets it, and has apologized for it, which is more than many politicians do.

His record, since then, would indicate that he is NOT a racist, as he has the most diverse cabinet in Canadian history, and that fact erases any doubt that this is false.

And if you think I am pro-Trudeau, I'll have you know that I mailed in my ballot yesterday, and I am not voting Liberal Party.
#15037593
Godstud wrote:

That's a really stupid generalization to make, as many people make stupid mistakes when they are younger, and regret them. He obviously regrets it, and has apologized for it, which is more than many politicians do.


He blamed privilege for the racism. He was not truly sorry and blamed a concept. Privilege does not cause people to be racist.

His record, since then, would indicate that he is NOT a racist, as he has the most diverse cabinet in Canadian history, and that fact erases any doubt that this is false.


He practices condescending racism by nominating unqualified people to cabinet positions. That is racism of low expectations.

And if you think I am pro-Trudeau, I'll have you know that I mailed in my ballot yesterday, and I am not voting Liberal Party.


Well, you had me fooled.
#15037594
Julian658 wrote:He blamed privilege for the racism. He was not truly sorry and blamed a concept. Privilege does not cause people to be racist.
Yes, it can be a cause of racism, as racism is LEARNED.

Julian658 wrote:He practices condescending racism by nominating unqualified people to cabinet positions. That is racism of low expectations.
Please provide a source for your stupid claim.

Julian658 wrote:Well, you had me fooled.
:roll: That's a simple thing to do.

Unfortunately, Time has a record of picking PotYs[…]

The Irishman...

I see. As usual when Finfinder is back on his he[…]

The one that erased the 1910-1940 warming and the[…]

Not what courts have said in the past. But then[…]