Marriages before the age of 18: for or against? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15040556
SSDR wrote:I am against the marriage institution, and marriage is a religious, social construct.

No human should belong to any other human. Marriage is a form of slavery and its social construct must be abolished.


Slavery?

Who owns who?
#15040557
Godstud wrote:@BigSteve When many grandparents were alive and getting married really young(even then not all that common), society was almost completely different, buying power was greater, and you didn't have "helicopter parents".


No argument there...
#15040559
Godstud wrote:The world's resources are LIMITED. We could, however, fit trillions of humans on the earth, if you were merely looking at the space to do so, and not the other problems it might create..


You're not understanding my point at all.

Did you even look at my link before you wrote, so sweetly, about rats being crammed into homes?

TFRs are already below replacement rates throughout most of the world. If sub-saharan african nations follow the trends of 1st world developed nations; births will drop off dramatically.

Fact. (shrug)

And I direct your attention to ansawad's excellent evidence, which far trumps mine & yours.

But you probably already worked all of this out yourself... I'm sure you're a lot cleverer than I am, so why even advance this argument that you have done?

And American middle class living is wholly unsustainable anyway. Everyone knows it needs to change, the hairless little rat types like all of us western bourgeoisie feckers ( ;) ) will have to come out into the open and change their ways. :)

PS: Fuck David Attaboy, he's a Brexit supporting right wing numpty who's lost the plot. Don't listen to him man..
#15040835
Truth To Power wrote:Slavery is labor compelled by force. Marriage is a contract.

Slavery does not have to be by force. Debt bondage is a form of slavery, and sometimes that is not by force. So marriage is a form of slavery, and its social construct must be abolished.
#15040861
SSDR wrote:So marriage is a form of slavery, and its social construct must be abolished.
Your Admin Edit: Rule 3 Violation incorrect definitions only show that you have no idea what marriage is. Stop trolling.

Marriage is completely voluntary. Slavery is not.

Fine. You're against marriage. You made your point, so now you can talk with your incel buddies.
#15041064
SSDR wrote:Slavery does not have to be by force.

Yes, it does.
Debt bondage is a form of slavery, and sometimes that is not by force.

Unless it is forcible, debt bondage is not slavery. It's a contract that might be illegal in many countries, but lots of contracts are illegal without being slavery.
So marriage is a form of slavery, and its social construct must be abolished.

That is just an absurd and ahistorical non sequitur.
#15041075
Truth To Power wrote:Yes, it does.

No it does not because there are slaves that support slavery, who volunteer to be slaves. There were also slaves who fought for slavery in various wars. Religion is one tool that manipulates some slaves to support slavery, because they lack real consciousness.
Unless it is forcible, debt bondage is not slavery.

Yes it is because debt bondage can make the economic victim owned by their debt collector, since their debt is purposefully not defined, so they can get trapped and enslaved.
#15041123
OK. We get it. You don't like marriage, @SSDR. Fine. Still, the vast majority of people do not see marriage as any form of slavery, and find the very idea preposterous.

It's a very bizarre opinion that you hold on marriage, but that's fine. Just don't expect to sell it to the rest of us.
#15041126
Against.

Except in exceptional circumstances. Such as both being less than 2 years of age apart. Underage marriage laws should be the same as sex laws.

If they're old enough to have legal sex, they are old enough to marry someone less than 2 years older or younger (but above the legal age of sex). I am not against arranged marriage either, so long as it conforms to the same legal requirements.
#15041224
SSDR wrote:No it does not because there are slaves that support slavery, who volunteer to be slaves.

Irrelevant. If it's not forcible, it's not slavery.
There were also slaves who fought for slavery in various wars.

So what?
Religion is one tool that manipulates some slaves to support slavery, because they lack real consciousness.

And your point would be....?
Yes it is because debt bondage can make the economic victim owned by their debt collector, since their debt is purposefully not defined, so they can get trapped and enslaved.

No force, no slavery.
#15041229
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:Against.

Today you need more time to become adult.


It's largely because the way in which people gain more responsibilities has been delayed to further in life. A lot of it has to do with the financial and educational realities of our modern existence.


I'm stand strong with @SSDR, marriage = slavery.
#15042449
It's a personal decision.

I don't know what all this bollocks about the best age to have children is about.

The best age is when both prospective parents feel ready.

These days, people want to go travelling, get on with their chosen career and have some fun before saddling themselves with a "passel of brats" Tip my Scarlett O'Hara.

Nothing wrong with that. Neither is there anything wrong with wanting to settle down at a young age and have a family.

Unless of course, as where I live, there are kids who automatically assume they'll be housed free of charge and be given benefits so they can do so.

they don't get married, though.
#15042475
I think the biggest problem with getting married for young couples is that they don't think through what it means to pay your own rent, electricity, water bill, etc and the real wages paid to young people without advanced educations and or great vocational professions. If they are trying to make a go of it on minimum wages? It will be impossible to cover all the bills with one job per partner.

I see it here in Mexico all the time. Some 21 year old couple with restaurant jobs and they don't want to live with their parents to avoid having to obey the house rules of their parents. They want to move out on their own but everything is too expensive for their budget. They get angry, frustrated. I tell them, you needed to realize before you committed to an adult relationship how you are going to pay bills. That is basic stuff. Adult responsibilities are not easy. If you add in children? One of you is going to have to stay home. Otherwise your parents who already raised you will have to wind up raising your kids. And they don't want to do that. People get tired of raising children. It is tremendous amounts of work and money involved and time out of your day.

If you have not thought out how to pay the bills? You need to reconsider staying in college or in vocational school and finishing and then working on career opportunities. If you can't work or study and go for crime? Definitely are going to be not married and no possibilities of raising kids for sure.

People who are young need to realize that having a family is HUGE responsibilities...huge. Not for some easy thing they can do at the snap of their fingers.

They underestimate the kind of sacrifices the parents make to house, clothe, feed and educate their children. Poor people have to live with many other people all the time.
#15042478
Tainari88 wrote:I think the biggest problem with getting married for young couples is that they don't think through what it means to pay your own rent, electricity, water bill, etc and the real wages paid to young people without advanced educations and or great vocational professions. If they are trying to make a go of it on minimum wages? It will be impossible to cover all the bills with one job per partner.

I see it here in Mexico all the time. Some 21 year old couple with restaurant jobs and they don't want to live with their parents to avoid having to obey the house rules of their parents. They want to move out on their own but everything is too expensive for their budget. They get angry, frustrated. I tell them, you needed to realize before you committed to an adult relationship how you are going to pay bills. That is basic stuff. Adult responsibilities are not easy. If you add in children? One of you is going to have to stay home. Otherwise your parents who already raised you will have to wind up raising your kids. And they don't want to do that. People get tired of raising children. It is tremendous amounts of work and money involved and time out of your day.

If you have not thought out how to pay the bills? You need to reconsider staying in college or in vocational school and finishing and then working on career opportunities. If you can't work or study and go for crime? Definitely are going to be not married and no possibilities of raising kids for sure.

People who are young need to realize that having a family is HUGE responsibilities...huge. Not for some easy thing they can do at the snap of their fingers.

They underestimate the kind of sacrifices the parents make to house, clothe, feed and educate their children. Poor people have to live with many other people all the time.


Indeed.

The #1 reason people file for divorce is not infidelity. It's due to disagreements on finances.
#15042485
Rancid wrote:Indeed.

The #1 reason people file for divorce is not infidelity. It's due to disagreements on finances.


Finances kill the romance of most couples for sure. Lol.

I got married at 18 years old. I was very young. But I was very clear about what I wanted to do with my life. I started at the University of PR and then transferred to the one in the states. I originally studied Journalism and switched to Anthropology and graduated in that. I traveled and thought to be able to have kids would be something very easy to accomplish.

I never was impractical about bills from the beginning. I lived in very very small apartments when I studied, never owned a car for many years and ate at home the vast amount of time while I studied or carried some cheap one dollar burrito for lunch and so on....did budgeting. Life skills that I fear young people nowadays don't respect.

In Mexico, it is heartbreaking for the young people. They are so smart, and they read and write and graduate from schools and are enthusiastic workers...but the wages are ABYSMAL. It is normal to pay people here one dollar an hour or two dollars an hour. The average rent in this low-cost Mexican city is between two hundred dollars a month to three hundred and fifty dollars a month. if your paycheck is eighty dollars a week? Before Mexican taxes? You are in deep caca financially. Groceries are about sixty dollars a week for a family of three. Gasoline is double the cost of the USA with a lot lower wages. Automobiles cost more than the USA to buy or lease.

Bicycles and mopeds are more common here for people to use. Electricity is expensive and water is dirt cheap but not potable.

Mexico needs much higher wages in all professions. Or it won't make it possible for people to raise families. Period. The PRC has higher average wages than Mexico does. The current government is working on raising wages but are getting resistance from the Right as usual in Mexico.

Then chose different words that say the same damn[…]

Trump and Russiagate

there is nothing to the Ukraine story. They've al[…]

I liked listening to this debate between my favori[…]

Macron: Nato is brain-dead

Europe cannot build a joint army. Political conjun[…]