EU-BREXIT - Page 285 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By BeesKnee5
Rugoz wrote:It's not the definition of a hard Brexit commonly used. Hard Brexit means exiting without deal.

As for "leaving the EU framework", the UK will still align its technical regulation with the EU's to a large degree.

The next GE is in 2022.

Hard brexit is leaving single market and customs Union, soft Brexit is Norway or Switzerland style deal.

There is no way this minority government will survive until 2022.
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:It's not the definition of a hard Brexit commonly used. Hard Brexit means exiting without deal.

Exiting without a deal is commonly called no-deal Brexit, not hard Brexit.

As for "leaving the EU framework", the UK will still align its technical regulation with the EU's to a large degree.

Sure, but they still won't be bound to the EU in any way, which is the point of a hard Brexit, I'd suppose.

The next GE is in 2022.

Even if it's in 2022, which is highly doubtful, it certainly helps Johnson win it if his deal passes.
By JohnRawls
Boris just got fucked as expected.
By Nonsense
JohnRawls wrote:Boris just got fucked as expected.

Your powers of observation are amazing, have you been to Specsavers lately?
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:I have zero sympathy for the DUP putting their trust in Boris, anyone who trust that man is an idiot with one exception. I think it is reasonable and rationale to trust him with the interests of the Tory party, because his own and the Tory party interests are so entwined. This amusing little twist with the DUP reminds me of the Senior Partners meeting in "Margin Call."The Tory party has been served well by Cameron, May and so far Johnson. I think Johnson is smart, but he's not that smart, or to be precise he's not gifted with a crystal ball. He wanted to be leader in 2016. He wanted the poisoned chalice that May won. Neither he nor anyone else could be predict how things would pan out. Cameron, even with hindsight, did absolutely the right thing, in promising the referendum. His big mistake was not backing his Home Secretary and actually making a much more serious attempt to control immigration. If he'd done that he could have won the referendum.

Johnson only has this chance to see off the Brexit party and restore Tory party electoral dominance, because of Cameron's brilliant move (for the Tory party) in promising the referendum and May's sacrifice. It was only the horror of the 2019 European Election result that has got the Tory party to bite the built and may terrify enough Labour MPs in to push the deal over the line. It was not that May was stupid, what became possible for Johnson was just not possible during her time.

Margaret Thatcher was a grossly overrated leader. She was incredibly lucky. In particular she was incredibly lucky to go up against three thoroughly inept leaders: Michael Foot, General Galtieri and Arthur Scargill. I hope Liessohn fails, but he had a chance of returning to the Thatcher glory days of huge majorities delivered by a united right wing vote of 42 - 44% against an electorally divided left / progressive opposition.

I fail to see any logic to your premise about the DUP putting trust in Johnson, are you not aware that it was the Tory government under Theresa MAY, that buttered the paws of the DUP, in return for,..wait a minute...their 'support'?

Reality is Rich, the boot was on the other foot,one could make a case that BoJo is honest,as well as trustworthy,simply because he hasn't 'buttered-the-paws' of the DUP.

I wouldn't expect you to accept that conclusion if it was at odds with your personal view of the man & that BoJo's government would reasonably judge that 'trust' in the DUP has wilted somewhat.

Not that BoJo's party would now 'withdraw the whip' from the DUP, by breaking away from them.

In any case, in time, the 'Indyref' for N.Ireland could come about & the current deal allows for that to happen without too much difficulty.
By Nonsense
Potemkin wrote:Watching Brexit play out has been like watching a street theatre performance of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar - betrayal piled on betrayal piled on betrayal.... It's awesome! :smokin:

I would wait for the epilogue if I were you, when you expect the anticlimax, the climax will arrive, in the form of a general election, for which it will be, in true Ceasarian form, a backstabbing excercise in mass-political score-settling, by the voters, now that is worthy of a true Shakespearean play.
By Presvias
They're all completely in the wrong and should seriously just give it up.

Watch a 'debate' in the Europarl versus our pathetic snail shell parliament. It's a forensic unit investigating a crime vs a 12 year old with a magnifying glass. They're worse than useless.

Frankly, I'd rather the EU fully annex us and run things properly, as the brexiteers deeply fear. :lol: Seli-joking there by the way..
By JohnRawls
Nonsense wrote:Your powers of observation are amazing, have you been to Specsavers lately?

Ohhhhhh, are you feelies hurt? You did not expect that Mays deal v 0.9 will get rejected the same way as Mays deal v 1.0 and v 1.1 :roll:
By Rugoz
BeesKnee5 wrote:Hard brexit is leaving single market and customs Union, soft Brexit is Norway or Switzerland style deal.

Norway isn't in the customs union, Switzerland not in the single market. Well in many ways it is, e.g. when it comes to free movement, but in some ways arguably even Canada is (e.g. public procurement, recognition of accreditation bodies).

It makes no sense to think in absolutes in these matters.

Beren wrote:Even if it's in 2022, which is highly doubtful, it certainly helps Johnson win it if his deal passes.

Eh..2022 is a long time from now. It will only be earlier if the opposition wants it.

In any case, with this kind of political bickering no deal will every get passed.
Rugoz wrote:Norway isn't in the customs union, Switzerland not in the single market. Well in many ways it is, e.g. when it comes to free movement, but in some ways arguably even Canada is (e.g. public procurement, recognition of accreditation bodies).

It makes no sense to think in absolutes in these matters

Yes, hard brexit is leaving both customs union AND single market.
By Nonsense
JohnRawls wrote:Ohhhhhh, are you feelies hurt? You did not expect that Mays deal v 0.9 will get rejected the same way as Mays deal v 1.0 and v 1.1 :roll:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, after all, BoJo's deal hasn't actually been voted on yet, perhaps I was 'wrong' , BoJo hasn't been,as you stated,"fucked" yet & you haven't been to 'Specsavers' then. :hmm: ;)
Last edited by Nonsense on 19 Oct 2019 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
By late
Nonsense wrote:
BoJo's deal hasn't actually been voted on yet

Boris campaigned for a hard Brexit, and that has been soundly, and repeatedly, rejected.

What I think is the underlying problem is that politics is essentially broken. The Brits aren't going to be able to agree on anything.

So the question then devolves onto the patience of the EU.
By Presvias
There are plenty of less-than-amoeba lifeforms in UK politics, just for example, worthless commies who don't understand that Brexshite is going to make their toy figure revolutsia a lot harder than it already is, but no use telling them because they can't learn or accept anything other than gobbledeygook marxian word salata. It's a way that the blobs use to communicate (shrugs).

Then you get little girls who hate housing benefit claimants and want to beat everyone up, nice people who live on council estates yet support demonizing the poor..and they hate brexiters even though they're worse..

There's more, but basically the UK electorate is fucktarded like the US electorate, and so gets the politicians it deserves. And those fucktards deserve everything they get.
By Nonsense
late wrote:Boris campaigned for a hard Brexit, and that has been soundly, and repeatedly, rejected.

What I think is the underlying problem is that politics is essentially broken. The Brits aren't going to be able to agree on anything.

So the question then devolves onto the patience of the EU.

So did a lot of people campaign for a 'no deal', but, disappointingly for some who accused him of not trying for a deal,therefore calling him a liar, they have been proved wrong.
Not that it matters to them, they still will not vote for it, because they do not want us to leave, they are the liars, talk about calling the kettle black,but that's CORBYN & Co for you.
By Presvias
The liars and hypocrites are those that support army generals, dearlove, younger, parker, tories who say he's a terror threat etc.

It is sickening. And the brit remainer fools actually play right into it and help demonize corbyn.
By late
Nonsense wrote:
So did a lot of people campaign for a 'no deal', but, disappointingly for some who accused him of not trying for a deal,therefore calling him a liar, they have been proved wrong.

Not that it matters to them, they still will not vote for it, because they do not want us to leave, they are the liars, talk about calling the kettle black,but that's CORBYN & Co for you.

That didn't make sense.
By B0ycey
Nonsense wrote:Not that it matters to them, they still will not vote for it, because they do not want us to leave, they are the liars, talk about calling the kettle black,but that's CORBYN & Co for you.

Well that isn't true. Has it dawned on you that Corbyn wants to leave on his terms not Johnsons? Why support a bad deal? Which is the fundamental problem of a referendum with limitless possibilities as everything was promised.

The confirmatory vote has always been the logical solution to break the impasse. Even more so than a general election. We have a deal, let's see if people support it. If the do, Brexit is sorted. And if not we can have a general election with parties who support Brexit stating a specific Brexit within their manifesto. Not this bullshit referendum with Brexiteers arguing amongst themselves what clarifies as Brexit and what does not. :roll:
BeesKnee5 wrote:Yes, hard brexit is leaving both customs union AND single market.

As I said, neither Switzerland nor Canada are in the single market or the customs union. Hard Brexit implies some major economic upheaval. But whatever.
By JohnRawls
Nonsense wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, after all, BoJo's deal hasn't actually been voted on yet, perhaps I was 'wrong' , BoJo hasn't been,as you stated,"fucked" yet & you haven't been to 'Specsavers' then. :hmm: ;)

I have no clue what Specsavers even is. As for Bojo deal, him not being fucked and it being something different from what May also proposed :lol:
By ingliz
Nonsense wrote:BoJo's deal hasn't actually been voted on yet

Technically, it has.

The Commons voted today to defer a decision on whether or not to ratify that agreement.

:lol:

Students can protest on campus, but they can't jus[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]