“The permafrost is thawing so fast, we scientists can’t keep up” - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
BeesKnee5 wrote:
It's not pessimism. It's hard to tell people their way of life is no more and they will have to move their whole village because the ice that protected the coast from erosion and kept the ground firm is gone.

The mayor of Barrows, Alaska has had to move his house twice. He wants to move the town, but there are elaborate underground facilities that would be expensive to set up at the new location.
Atlantis wrote:
Due to the thawing of the permafrost, the polar region is now emitting almost twice as many green house gases as plants in this region sequester during the growing season. And the speed at which this is happening is still accelerating.

There is no way of ever reversing this, or of even stopping it.

There is a lot we can do, if we ever stop pretending we're helpless, and utterly incompetent.
late wrote:There is a lot we can do, if we ever stop pretending we're helpless, and utterly incompetent.

There is a lot we can and have to do to keep climate change within manageable levels. It's not about pretending that we are helpless, it's about generating the political dynamics that will enable politics to take decisive actions. As to the thawing of the permafrost, I was talking about, there is nothing to reverse or stop it at this stage.
Atlantis wrote:
There is a lot we can and have to do to keep climate change within manageable levels. It's not about pretending that we are helpless, it's about generating the political dynamics that will enable politics to take decisive actions. As to the thawing of the permafrost, I was talking about, there is nothing to reverse or stop it at this stage.

That's easy, get a Progressive president, a Progressive House and a Progressive Senate.
late wrote:That's easy, get a Progressive president, a Progressive House and a Progressive Senate.

:lol: That's easy? You guys haven't been all that good at ousting Trump, who has now started to officially leave the Paris Agreement.

Trump Administration to Begin Official Withdrawal From Paris Climate Accord

And even if you do get rid of Trump, the effect Trump will continue. Remember, roughly half of Americans support Trump's agenda. Future politicians in the US will have to take that into consideration.

Politics isn't like Christmas where you can wish what you want.

Anyways, here is another tipping point:

Amazon rainforest 'close to irreversible tipping point'

Soaring deforestation coupled with the destructive policies of Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, could push the Amazon rainforest dangerously to an irreversible “tipping point” within two years, a prominent economist has said.

After this point the rainforest would stop producing enough rain to sustain itself and start slowly degrading into a drier savannah, releasing billions of tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere, which would exacerbate global heating and disrupt weather across South America.

Like the permafrost region, the rain forest turns from a carbon sink into a carbon source.

Theoretically its possible to stop it, but empowered by the Trumpets, right-wing populists the world over are on the rise. They preach climate change denial because they believe in unlimited consumption.

Even if a national leader tries to put a tax on fuel, the mob will go on the streets to burn and loot or vote a populist into government. Or look at the ME, people need all the resources they can get just to go on killing each other, as they have done for thousands of years. Even if their land turns into desert, they'll go killing each other until nothing is left.

Sure, we have to do what we can to fight climate change because it's the right thing to do, but in view of the real world out there, chances of success are close to zero.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]