Until we get a Carbon Tax, we haven't even started - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
late wrote:You are writing fiction.

You must not watch television much. These oxygen makers are advertised all the time.

Introducing the Inogen One G4 Portable Oxygen Concentrator!

Inogen One Portable Oxygen Concentrator Testimonials
Godstud wrote:An oxygen concentrator does not MAKE oxygen, nor does it remove pollutants from the air around you. :roll:

If you don't like the word MAKE, then it uses battery power to PROVIDE oxygen to breathe for those that need it, without having to carry around oxygen tanks.
Right, and that's not really relevant to the discussion, @Hindsite, unless we're talking about providing oxygen to patients who need it. You are not actually "making" oxygen, as you claimed. Making and providing are two different things, no?
Godstud wrote:Right, and that's not really relevant to the discussion, @Hindsite, unless we're talking about providing oxygen to patients who need it. You are not actually "making" oxygen, as you claimed. Making and providing are two different things, no?

It's close enough, especially, if you need oxygen, since it takes away the fear of running out of oxygen and the need to replace those heavy oxygen tanks.
HalleluYah
There are machines that can take CO2 and convert it to O2, but they are pretty energy intense, and since we are still mostly use fossil fuels for energy, those machines work out to be a net negative. In other words, you are better off not running them. HOwever, if we could power these with solar, wind, etc. it would work.
:lol: You have trouble distinguishing between "making" and "producing"? Get a dictionary, or google it. :knife: It's not about convincing you of reality, and that different words have different meanings.
Godstud wrote::lol: You have trouble distinguishing between "making" and "producing"? Get a dictionary, or google it. :knife: It's not about convincing you of reality, and that different words have different meanings.

pro·duce
verb
1. make or manufacture from components or raw materials

https://www.google.com/search?q=Produce ... e&ie=UTF-8

produce

1[TRANSITIVE] to make or grow something, especially in large quantities and in order to be sold

a. used about things that are made by a natural process
b. used about people or things that develop in a place, or as a result of a process or system
c. used about things that someone makes or designs using a lot of skill or effort

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... /produce_1
:roll: Yes, and when you can figure out why they aren't the same thing, get back to me. It's a subtle difference that I am sure you won't be able to comprehend, and I don't need to convince you of anything, if you can't figure it out. :knife:
Hindsite wrote:I am not convinced.

There's a big difference between simply extracting oxygen from the air and concentrating it, and then actually producing by separating carbon from CO2. In the former, you are not increasing the overall oxygen levels in the atmosphere. Oxygen produced is Net zero. In the latter, you are actually contributing more oxygen to the atmosphere, which could potentially be a net positive. However, with the current state of technology, it's a net negative given that you have to emmit a lot of CO2 to run the machines.
BeesKnee5 wrote:Seriously there is no evidence that we are about to have a shortage of O2 in the atmosphere. We are talking about 0.1% reduction in 100 years.

True.

BeesKnee5 wrote:Maybe this is getting mixed up with areas of the ocean becoming anoxic due to warming

The problem is the excess CO2, not the lack of oxygen. When there is more CO2, you get more carbonic acid in the oceans (the same stuff that's in sparkling water). When you have CO2 in the precense of water, the CO2 dissolves into the water and makes it more acidic. You can notice this if you leave a glass of water open over night. Then try drinking it in the morning, you will notice the water tastes different (people describe it as stale water). This is because of the carbonic acid that has formed.

That acidity kills the organism in the ocean that convert CO2 into O2. If they die off, the acidification process accelerates. It's a run away effect (in science and enigneering, it's called a positive feedback system. Something that accelerates and encourages itself the more it happens).
Rugoz wrote:This sums up America for me :lol:

If I remember right, TV watching is lower among more educated Americans.

Anyway, I think nothing will be done about carbon emissions until it starts to affect the markets. I think it will start to impact the insurance (home, shipping, etc) first. That will ripple into mortgages, and then interest rates. Then, finally then, there will actually be will to do something. We just have to hope on this:

Technology or the markets in general address this problem at a point in time that is not too late. In short, we're playing a game of chicken right now.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Two things can be true at once: Russia doesn't ha[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]