10 best motorcycles - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By late
I saw this Youtube video about the 10 best, and the kid had no idea what he was doing.

I am far from expert, but I thought I would toss off a few, and see if you can't improve on them.

1) Brough.. this was the motorcycle Lawrence of Arabia died on. They cost as much as what a typical Brit earned in a year. Most of them were custom, or semi-custom. They were assembled twice, they were only painted after everything was known to be working properly. George Brough personally tested every one, and rode the SS100 to a 100 mph. That was crazy fast a century ago. And I do mean crazy, people died all the time back then doing stunts like that.

2) The best of the post WW2 Brit bikes, mostly Triumph and Norton. Sure, they had a lot of flaws. But the experience of riding one of the good ones was exquisite.

3) The Honda 750. The first 4 cylinder Honda looked like NASA and a Formula 1 company worked together to build the ultimate bike. No single thing on it was new. But no other bike had put all those things together on one bike, not even close. The Honda engineers must have sweat bullets getting the exhaust pipes perfect. I never again heard an exhaust note as gorgeous as that. Sales guys used to put a cup of coffee on the bike and turn it on. It wouldn't spill a drop, smooth was something new to Americans at the time.

4) I don't know when BMW bikes became great. It took them a while to nail the design down. But they got there eventually, and became perhaps the best bike to keep a couple decades, ride across the continent, whatever.

5) Honda Goldwing, same deal, really. They were rough around the edges to begin with, but slowly evolved into something remarkable. And they keep getting better.

6) Those little Honda motorcycles, scooters, really, that the Beach Boys sang about. I think Honda has sold as many of those as maybe every other motorcycle put together. About a 100 million, yes, million.

Omissions: I don't like Harleys, when I was young they used to break down all the time. They deserve a spot, I admit that, but it won't be me adding them to the list. I also don't like most sportbikes, they are toys. A couple prob deserve a slot. I thought about adding the ST1100, but I'll leave that category to people that like them, and know about them. I couldn't make up my mind about the Black Shadow. It's famous for being fast, but I think there are other postwar bikes that were easier to live with.

So, have at it..

By Godstud
Nice, @Besoeker2 but far too big. :) Great for highway driving, I suppose. It's as big as some small cars!

How many ccs?

Is that the 1800 with 6 cylinders? Massive bike.
By Besoeker2
Godstud wrote:Nice, @Besoeker2 but far too big. :) Great for highway driving, I suppose. It's as big as some small cars!

How many ccs?

Is that the 1800 with 6 cylinders? Massive bike.

A friend of mine, an ex colleague of mine has a V6 Kawasaki. He is an ordained Pentecostal minister and when moved to different part of the country the congregation of the church he was leaving got together and got it for him. Not a bad leaving gift.........
The Honda Gold Wing certainly deserves a spot on that list. I'm currently looking at the Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT:

A buddy of mine and his wife have them and I don't know that I've ever ridden a more smooth, comfortable bike. I'm thinking it'll be perfect for the Blue Ridge Mountains this Spring.

I love my Harleys, but these new Hondas are pretty sweet...
By BigSteve
Besoeker2 wrote:They have been around for a bit.

The 2020 Hondas have been around for a bit?

What's "a bit" in your book?
By late
BigSteve wrote:
What's "a bit" in your book?

The Seventies.

You two prefer different bikes. They are both superb, so I really don't see the point in bickering.

I'd love to try that 10K super scooter they have.
By BigSteve
late wrote:The Seventies.

I suppose I could've put the model year I was looking at. I'm not at all interested in a Gold Wing from the 70's...
By BigSteve
Besoeker2 wrote:The Goldwing was introduced in 1974.

No shit.

The Gold Wing I posted a picture of, which is what I'm currently considering, is a 2020 model. The 2020 models didn't come out in 1974...
By Besoeker2
BigSteve wrote:No shit.

The Gold Wing I posted a picture of, which is what I'm currently considering, is a 2020 model. The 2020 models didn't come out in 1974...

And I'm not claiming that they did.
But the fat six, still used, was introduced around 1987.
By Besoeker2
late wrote:The Seventies.

You two prefer different bikes. They are both superb, so I really don't see the point in bickering.

No bickering by me. Just a bit of perspective on the history.
By BigSteve
Besoeker2 wrote:And I'm not claiming that they did.
But the fat six, still used, was introduced around 1987.

You're still not really making a pertinent point...
By Besoeker2
BigSteve wrote:You're still not really making a pertinent point...

I think the history of the model gives a bit of perspective and is interesting.
If you don't, that's fine by me.
By BigSteve
Besoeker2 wrote:I think the history of the model gives a bit of perspective and is interesting.
If you don't, that's fine by me.

It's certainly been a stalwart of Honda's line, I'll grant you that. But the motorcycles Honda is building today are completely different animals than the ones they built in the 70's or 80's... even the 90's...
By Godstud
On North American highways, I can see the attraction of the bigger bikes. The Gold Wing is a nice bike, and there's a few in that category that are very good.

I'm looking at picking up a 2018 NC750X DCT (with panniers) that a friend is selling. He, like me, has too many bikes. It's a good price and good a bike for jaunting around SE Asia. Only has around 17,000 km on it(around 11k miles).

I'm selling my Ducati 848 Corse Evo and that should easily pay for it, and maybe pick my wife up a new Scoopy-i, for tooting around town! :D

That'll just leave me, hopefully, with my CB650FA, an NC750X, a Kawa 650 Versys and a KLX 125. :)

The 10 best motorcycles are the ones you own.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]

You should put the full quote I am of the o[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]