Predictions for the 2020's - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

quetzalcoatl wrote:Image

As you can see, it's not all bad. Pollution will actually decrease.

Thanks for sharing this, Quetzal. I actually read Limits to Growth (from where this chart's idea came) when I was 11 years old. Other kids were reading Spiderman and Adventure novels at the time, but I found this book much more exciting and informative.

Cuba went through a Periodo Especial in the early 90s when food production collapsed, along with oil and cash. And the human race could learn a lot from this experience ... if our billionaires get the fuck out of the way and stop destroying all the earth's options.
QatzelOk wrote:Image
Thanks for sharing this, Quetzal. I actually read "Limits to Growth" (from where this chart's idea came) when I was 11 years old. Other kids were reading Spiderman and Adventure novels at the time, but I found this book much more exciting and informative.

Cuba went through a Periodo Especial" in the early 90s where food production collapse, along with oil and cash. And the human race could learn a lot from this experience ... if our billionaires get the fuck out of the way and stop destroying all the earth's options.

I also read this book in 1973. This was 46 {48 if we go back to when it was written and not when it came out in paperback book form} years ago. In the original it said that, the future is hard to predict, so allow a plus or minus 20 years or so.
This graph is now 19 years out of date. We could in principal add 19 more years of the 'actual' data.

OTOH, this graph shows the collapse has having started in about 2015. It didn't then, and hasn't yet that we can see.

The IPPC report gave us 12 years {now 11} to make massive reductions in greenhouse gas {GHG} emissions. We have done nothing.

So, the new scientific report now predicts the collapse to start in 2030. This is well within the report's original plus or minus number of 2015 +/- 20.

For those who will poo poo the report for being wrong, I remind the lurkers that no economic forecast by a consensus of mainstream economists has been correct over any 5 year period. Not one. The original report got it pretty much right until 2015, or for 44 years.
_______________ _________________________________ __________________

And I remind the lurkers again, that the deniers here have not yet replied to the fact that 14 of the 17 original papers on AGW {now ACC} were only 'wrong' in that they failed to accurately predict the amount of GHG that would be emitted each year. A study was done where they put in the correct GHG emissions and 14 of them were very much correct *after* over 30-40 years, therefore the models were not wrong; therefore we can believe the models when they predict our future if *WE* can predict the GHG emissions.
QatzelOk wrote:Thanks for sharing this, Quetzal. I actually read Limits to Growth (from where this chart's idea came) when I was 11 years old. Other kids were reading Spiderman and Adventure novels at the time, but I found this book much more exciting and informative.

Cuba went through a Periodo Especial in the early 90s when food production collapsed, along with oil and cash. And the human race could learn a lot from this experience ... if our billionaires get the fuck out of the way and stop destroying all the earth's options.
Donna wrote:It's Malthusian propaganda by Davos globalists. In reality we are headed toward catastrophic population collapse.

Assuming by "It's" you mean the Limits to Growth report, then it is a very old example of Malthusian propaganda. And can I assume that when you say "propaganda" that you want to imply lies and not just an effort to get your message out in the public arena?

As I remember it from 1973, the report actually said that the population will drop by 90%. after the collapse. So, yes, a population collapse was predicted as I remember it.

But then, Malthus had the misfortune to write just before humanity discovered how to mine coal. As long as humanity was limited to solar energy collected by grain and trees; and raw energy from water wheels and wind mills, he was likely to be right.
. . If you allow mineral sources of energy {coal, oil & gas} to be used then Malthus seems to be wrong.
. . But, if you take a longer view and look at the population after the future predicted population collapse then he was right all along.

I guess time will tell.

OTOH, as long as humanity is limited to the Earth, even hydrogen fusion will not in the end avoid the stopping of the growth in the population and GDP.
Steve_American wrote:I guess time will tell.

Yeah, let's sit around glancing at the calendar, and see if we end up going out in a horrible extinction event.

**applies cream to remote-control burned hands**
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

On the 17th April 2022 in resonse to @Istanbulle[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]