Songs about nothing at all - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Deutschmania wrote:...But then again , repressing certain media , such as music , falls under information control

But doesn't surpressing thoughts (with music) fall under the more serious mind control. And since I'm saying that most of our pop songs are actually about nothing at all, doesn't this mean they're devoid of information, and thus 'information control' wouldn't apply?

The key question is whether or not the influence of the " cult " in question is destructive or not...

I will make the claim that any interference in our instinctive thoughts (and emotional responses) is highly destructive in the long term, for the group (species even).
Let it be known that I stand with @QatzelOk in this matter.
I have not allowed my children to wear these ear-fillers that deliver non-stop music to their brains.
I personally don't listen to music at all but that is for other reasons.
I wear corded earphones but my Spotify list is dominated by epic film soundtracks, Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, Godspell and classic rock music.

Currently listening to this cult classic again....

Love how it has a bit of a Thomas The Tank Engine meets Tears For Fears - Mad World(better version than that Donnie Darko Emo crap) meets Phantom Of The Opera feel.

I agree with @Ter and @QatzelOk otherwise. Modern pop music sucks. And it's not because of lack of Talent. It's because they take talented individuals and crush the life out of them.

Case in point:

Song is superb for a young talented Christian Gospel singer, playing the guitar herself.
Posting videos of your favorite songs is really inappropriate in this thread.

I haven't listened to any of them except the OP soundtrack which I provided. It's really the only relevant one.

The videos, for me, are only still images of trendy clothing, hairstyles, and other current trend-related memes. All to get you to consume trendy products that are marketed by the same corporations that deliver your ear-worms to you.
colliric wrote:I wear corded earphones...

How vintage of you.

Fitted ear buds are one step away from having a piece of your brain removed so that a permanent music app can be installed where the part of your brain that used to handle reflection and peaceful intermission.
Listening to music is kind of like smoking cigarettes:
rather then just letting your lungs inflate and deflate naturally, you fill them with a kind of stimulant that is acutually an addictive pollution.

And even if the novelty of nicotine or musical composition is amusing at first, eventually you just end up polluting yourself because of an addiction, and you lose all the natural capacity of your lungs or mind.

In the case of losing your naturally-functionning mind and its ability to quietly reflect in silence, the result is a life not worth living.
QatzelOk wrote:Fitted ear buds are one step away from having a piece of your brain removed so that a permanent music app can be installed where the part of your brain that used to handle reflection and peaceful intermission.

Not only that, but they're delibrately designed to be easy as crap to lose and also require recharging. They're not worth it as a result.
Finfinder wrote:Music doesn't have to be about anything all, it can just make you feel good.

Good for whatever ales you?

Of course, unlike Snake Oil, music often has repeated texts - the kind that can driill their way into your opinions and emotions. This makes it a far more dangerous crackpot drug.
QatzelOk wrote:Good for whatever ales you?

Of course, unlike Snake Oil, music often has repeated texts - the kind that can driill their way into your opinions and emotions. This makes it a far more dangerous crackpot drug.

The good thing about music is once you hear it, people like you can never take it away.
Finfinder wrote:The good thing about music is once you hear it, people like you can never take it away.

Yes, but heroin is the same thing.

Once you're addicted, only death can separate the two of you.
QatzelOk wrote:Yes, but heroin is the same thing.

Once you're addicted, only death can separate the two of you.

I'm not sure you understand what an analogy is because that is an extremely poor attempt at one.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Everyone here seems to have forgotten that for centuries a lot of music was meant for dancing. Or is dancing also an opiate of the masses?

What's your point?
Finfinder wrote:I'm not sure you understand what an analogy is because that is an extremely poor attempt at one.

It was a world-class analogy that rally hit its mark.

Your "proof" (that music isn't toxic) is that :
Finfinder wrote:once you hear it, people like you can never take it away.

It's that people can't take it away from you. Meaning, that you could never let go of it. Meaning that you're addicted to it, so you're warning people to back off or you'll let them have it with that giant shotgun you've been waving around between bouts of unconsciousness.
QatzelOk wrote:It was a world-class analogy that rally hit its mark.

Your "proof" (that music isn't toxic) is that :

It's that people can't take it away from you. Meaning, that you could never let go of it. Meaning that you're addicted to it, so you're warning people to back off or you'll let them have it with that giant shotgun you've been waving around between bouts of unconsciousness.

No you are not even close to it.

I don't have people talking in my head do you? When I think its 99.99% good memories. I can control that, can you? People can recall their child's first cries at birth, distinctive voices from the past, how about the sound of Niagara Falls if you have been there, a beautiful sound of a song. So you can take things away from people but you cannot take their minds.

You sound like you are describing your personal pathology you might want to get that checked out.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]

Deliberately ignoring evidence showing IDF air str[…]

Indeed. It is strange, but they're all over the in[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ay43E94W58 :D […]