Iowa Judge sentences Hispanic American to 15 years in prison for burning LBGTQ flag - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Lots of outlets are carrying the story. Here's Reason's take: A 15-Year Sentence for Burning a Stolen Gay Pride Flag Is Not Justice

The guy obviously has some mental issues. However, it's an example of how the United States deals with mental illness since institutionalization was banned. The perpetrator could be a future shooter, but his record is non-violent. Yet, 15-years is quite a long time for burning a flag. Arson itself is kind of a harsh charge.

At any rate, I find it humorous because the political left wants to have much more Hispanic immigration, a culture that is notoriously religious and family oriented. It kind of makes me wonder if there was a little racism in delivering such a harsh sentence.
blackjack21 wrote:At any rate, I find it humorous because the political left wants to have much more Hispanic immigration, a culture that is notoriously religious and family oriented. It kind of makes me wonder if there was a little racism in delivering such a harsh sentence.

You seem surprised. As of now, for whatever reason, LGBT simply scores more victim points (on the mainstream left or on the mainstream right) than family oriented Hispanics, and are the most protected group in the US after the Jews. But they want it all. Immigration, LGBT and so on.
Drlee wrote:Bring your sister by my house and I will be happy to.

She's taken lol

No seriously, how did we even get to the point where churches are hanging pride flags and libraries are hosting drag time story hour for children. It's is like reality is being sucked into a wormhole and we are just seeing the beginnings of our new reality as we come out on the other side.

And it's useless to say that we predicted this.
If I remember this story correctly, and I probably do but I am painfully lazy, there were a number of other conditions to the individual that dictated the punishment, it wasn't just some guy burning a flag.

That said, burning a flag isn't a terribly big crime, so... it would be nice if we could have some kind of mental health care system beyond prison or institutions in this country, though.
blackjack21 wrote:The guy obviously has some mental issues. However, it's an example of how the United States deals with mental illness since institutionalization was banned.

The existence of illness is not something to be decided be the average joe, based on what he finds "obvious" , nor is it decided by a bunch of crooks called "psychiatrists" who propose and vote on what should be "illness" - no, that's politics, not medicine or science.

What is illness is solely decided by rigorous science and evidence, as it happens when researchers discover viruses and their actions in the human body(just an example) Not the case with psychiatry which is a complete pseudoscientific farce whose main purpose is to punish people extrajudicially, by using fake science and fake medicine.
Not the case with psychiatry which is a complete pseudoscientific farce whose main purpose is to punish people extrajudicially, by using fake science and fake medicine.

You should discuss with your psychiatrist why you would post such claptrap here. Of course psychiatry is "scientific". I know of no serious scientist who would deny it.
Drlee wrote:You should discuss with your psychiatrist why you would post such claptrap here. Of course psychiatry is "scientific". I know of no serious scientist who would deny it.

That's a bit like saying that the jews should have asked the nazis if it's ok to challenge nazi ideas.

"I know of no serious scientist who would deny it" - well, if you need a scientist to "deny it" in order for you to understand why psychiatry is pseudoscience, it means that you don't know what science is in order to verify yourself whether psychiatry is scientific or not. Which in turn means this: since you don't know what science is, you also can't possibly assess who's a real scientist and who's crook(with apparent credentials or without)

So you're stuck into a catch-22 trap of ignorance, from which you're unlikely to escape given your attitude.
So you're stuck into a catch-22 trap of ignorance, from which you're unlikely to escape given your attitude.

Nope. I am a scientist and I know how it works.

Psychiatrists are first medical doctors. Did you know that? They begin from a place of science.

I find your insistence on this a bit disturbing so I think I will leave my opinion here. It is all that I have to say on the subject.
ccdan wrote:
The existence of illness is not something to be decided be the average joe, based on what he finds "obvious" , nor is it decided by a bunch of crooks called "psychiatrists" who propose and vote on what should be "illness" - no, that's politics, not medicine or science.

What is illness is solely decided by rigorous science and evidence, as it happens when researchers discover viruses and their actions in the human body(just an example) Not the case with psychiatry which is a complete pseudoscientific farce whose main purpose is to punish people extrajudicially, by using fake science and fake medicine.

As is the case with any science, they have improved.

Your objections would have had some validity, a long time ago. Few people get treatment in asylums now, they die in the streets.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]