Dog lovers damage the planet - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15060671
We adopted a dog from people whose dog had puppies. A mutt in every way. :D We had her neutered so that she can't add to the problem of too many street dogs, so we're at least responsible pet owners.
#15060689
Godstud wrote:We adopted a dog from people whose dog had puppies. A mutt in every way. :D We had her neutered so that she can't add to the problem of too many street dogs, so we're at least responsible pet owners.

I agree. Ours is also neutered, tagged, and chipped. He doesn't roam the streets or crap in anybody else's garden.

He is a friendly, sociable dog and pretty much everybody loves him. But I accept that there are those who dislike dogs. The topic starter being one.

A little tail if I may. The next door neighbour where we lived wouldn't get out of her car while I was getting out of mine with Max. I asked if she just didn't like dogs.
"I don't dislike them. I fear them."
Understandable.
She was from Kenya and the only dogs she'd encountered were guard dogs. Not exactly known for their gentle temperament. But, after a few weeks of her moving in, she got to know and trust Max.
#15060705
Robert Urbanek wrote:“Dogs spend half their life with their noses in nasty corners or hovering over dog droppings so their muzzles are full of bacteria, viruses and germs of all sorts.” The strong bacteria have the power to cause a range of dangerous diseases, some deadly.

Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a bacteria that lives in a dog’s saliva. It has the power to cause fatal infections including sepsis, which can ultimately lead to organ failure and even death.


https://nypost.com/2017/07/30/the-deadly-reason-why-you-shouldnt-let-dogs-lick-your-face/


Yet that virtually never happens now germs spread in a city, well ...... tell me what is going on in China rite now ?

What is the point of this discusion? What would you like to see happen? Do you have any pets ?
Last edited by Finfinder on 21 Jan 2020 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
#15060706
Besoeker2 wrote:OK. We got ours from a rescue centre. Whether we did or someone else did, the footprint would be the same.


Sure, however, if there were no pet market though, there would be few dogs needing rescue. That is, few dogs overall, and thus a lower footprint.
#15060708
Pants-of-dog wrote:I have no idea if I am a dog lover.

We do not eat that here in Canada.

—————————

On topic, pets do come with associated environmental impacts. Most seem to be associated with how pet food is made. Since we need to change food production and distribution anyway, (in order to make it environmentally sustainable), we could easily do the same for pet food at the same time.


How is not now?
#15060710
This is how these discussions run.

They will counter extremists, but they never talk about policy. They don't want policy.

Stupid still comes with a price tag.
#15060729
Rancid wrote:Sure, however, if there were no pet market though, there would be few dogs needing rescue. That is, few dogs overall, and thus a lower footprint.

Ours is a collie, a working breed. We had them, had to have them, on the farm. They are needed for the job they do. I don't know how ours became a stray. But he already existed so we are not adding to the issue.
#15060730
Finfinder wrote:
Policy? Its simple they want to tell people how to run their lives and they want more of your money for dictating exactly how.



A Carbon Tax is a market based solution designed by conservative economists.

It doesn't tell anyone anything.

Most of it would be rebated, the part that was not rebated would become credit for getting renewable energy.
#15060731
On topic, pets do come with associated environmental impacts. Most seem to be associated with how pet food is made. Since we need to change food production and distribution anyway, (in order to make it environmentally sustainable), we could easily do the same for pet food at the same time


Pants-of-dog wrote:What say you write?


I simply asked you to explain in more detail why we need to change and why is it not environmentally sustainable. It's pretty straight for response to your post. Would you like to retract your statement? .

Your reply is odd.


late wrote:A Carbon Tax is a market based solution designed by conservative economists.

It doesn't tell anyone anything.

Most of it would be rebated, the part that was not rebated would become credit for getting renewable energy.


Hilarious you just said a few posts ago "stupid comes with a price". How stupid do you think people are to fall for a rebate? Tell me what the price is don't give this shell game scam rebate. When is enough taxes for you people acceptable? You want to tax the entire (income) paycheck and you want their pets too. Good luck buddy. LOL
#15060733
Finfinder wrote:

Hilarious you just said a few posts ago "stupid comes with a price". How stupid do you think people are to fall for a rebate? Tell me what the price is don't give this shell game scam rebate.



Sorry you got brainwashed, but the reality is simple, we have to deal with climate change.

The discussion is about how we deal with it.

I've talked about the cost repeatedly, possibly in this thread. We need an incremental tax, and the amount we will need gets higher every year we do nothing.

If we'd been smart, we could have started this at a couple cents/gal/year equivalent. It will have to be a lot more now.

Because stupid comes with a price tag.
#15060736
late wrote:Sorry you got brainwashed, but the reality is simple, we have to deal with climate change.

The discussion is about how we deal with it.

I've talked about the cost repeatedly, possibly in this thread. We need an incremental tax, and the amount we will need gets higher every year we do nothing.

If we'd been smart, we could have started this at a couple cents/gal/year equivalent. It will have to be a lot more now.

Because stupid comes with a price tag.

We seem to have wandered off topic.
Why pick on dogs?
What about bison, the various bears, camels, birds, etc?
Wipe these out??
#15060738
Finfinder wrote:I simply asked you to explain in more detail why we need to change and why is it not environmentally sustainable. It's pretty straight for response to your post. Would you like to retract your statement? .

Your reply is odd.


It is because you wrote so poorly that it was impossible to understand what you were trying to say.

This should get you started:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ ... griculture
#15060742
Godstud wrote:@AFAIK A pet rock. :lol:

Finally a serious answer.
Thank you Godstud.
#15060748
Interesting these people keep bringing up intelligence and I keep saying attacking people pets is political suicide. It exposes how radical and far this movement will go extract tax revenue from people and control their lives. The totalitarian movement is desperate.

Pants-of-dog wrote:It is because you wrote so poorly that it was impossible to understand what you were trying to say.

This should get you started:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ ... griculture


I understand its never your fault however when you want to back up ( in your own words ) statements you make on a debate forum let us know until then its worth the time.
#15060754
Finfinder wrote:Interesting these people keep bringing up intelligence and I keep saying attacking people pets is political suicide. It exposes how radical and far this movement will go extract tax revenue from people and control their lives. The totalitarian movement is desperate.


Is someone proposing a tax to offset the environmental impacts of pets?

I understand its never your fault however when you want to back up ( in your own words ) statements you make on a debate forum let us know until then its worth the time.


And since I have now provided support for my claims, is there a criticism about my argument that you would like to make?
#15060755
Besoeker2 wrote:
We seem to have wandered off topic. Why pick on dogs?

What about bison, the various bears, camels, birds, etc?

Wipe these out??



I didn't. I doubt anyone will do anything about it (via regulation).

They should have limited legal rights.

Don't be absurd.
#15060757
Pants-of-dog wrote:Is someone proposing a tax to offset the environmental impacts of pets?



And since I have now provided support for my claims, is there a criticism about my argument that you would like to make?


I don't know is someone?

What is your claim? What is your argument again?
#15060758
Besoeker2 wrote:Ours is a collie, a working breed. We had them, had to have them, on the farm. They are needed for the job they do. I don't know how ours became a stray. But he already existed so we are not adding to the issue.



The cow was already slaughtered, so I'm not adding to the issue with carbon emission across the meat industry.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14

And this is why complacency is not an option; Flo[…]

And... that's the real Jesus. It's all over, boys![…]

@KurtFF8 Maybe he means this fascist criteria...[…]

"Marketing disinformation as an academic, gov[…]