China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 29 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ter wrote:
Most appointments in the UN system are done on political considerations.
I have personally seen several women being appointed to high positions and make swift careers in the UN system on the basis of being a citizen of a small under-represented country (Malaysia, Sri Lanka) even though both of them had other passports (US, French). But of course they would not be known as US or French citizen. That Ethiopian DG of the WHO has shown that he is not fit for the job.

When the position of WHO DG opened up some years ago there was an excellent candidate but he was from the UK. They appointed a Chinese Woman at the time. Most of those UN organisations have lost their reputation because of this.
And with Saudi Arabia and Iran in UN Human Rights Council it has become a pure joke.

You know something's not quite right if the WHO appoints Mugabe as a goodwill ambassador, as DG Tedros did in 2017.
Rancid wrote:The market will recover, hang on to it. i'm hanging on.

If this virus causes the collapse of humanity (it won't), then your cash won't mean anything anyway.

It wont be the collapse of humanity but it may be the end of the global economy as we know it
in a month we will have a more clear picture of what is about to happen

Rancid wrote:Can you summarize the video? I don't have time to watch.

That said, I say BUY BUY BUY BUY!

Capitalism will endure.

Basically it says that this virus came at the worst time and it may cripple Chinese economy so bad that it may take them 20 years or so to recover meanwhile the world will have to adapt and change the ways current global economy works but its not only because of the virus the trade war Trump started will also contribute to that
China is in a trap they made for themselves (corporations are running away due to Chinese government stealing technologies and patents and the tariffs that have been imposed by trump) and now what they gonna do is minimize the damage and try to hold control of the country at any cost
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Basically it says that this virus came at the worst time and it may cripple Chinese economy so bad that it may take them 20 years or so to recover meanwhile the world will have to adapt and change the ways current global economy works but its not only because of the virus the trade war Trump started will also contribute to that
China is in a trap they made for themselves (corporations are running away due to Chinese government stealing technologies and patents and the tariffs that have been imposed by trump) and now what they gonna do is minimize the damage and try to hold control of the country at any cost

Sounds like there will be plenty of new investment opportunities.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Rancid wrote:China has it under control. Nothing to worry about.

Actually. Since you are a bit interested in this. The reason why they are doing this is mainly economic. China has pumped enormous amount of credit in to their economy while being not so developed on a per capita basis. Basically what is happening is that if the factories/services don't work = credit can not be returned.

So right now we are witnessing the emplosion of Chinese economy of sorts. The official statistics will still show growth but China will loose any trust worthyness there is. Because you know, you can't have growth if you factories have not been working for a month now. Basically China is gonna implode economically somewhere in the next 4 years. It might happen in 6 months or it might happen in couple of years.

So investing in to stock is a bad idea. I mean, that is the whole reason why XI is pretending that everything is okay while it is not. This has long term consequences of not just the data becoming untrustworthy but also people being scared the longer the coronavirus is present in China. It is stupid to believe that goods contain it if people sneeze on it since ships take a long time to transport them but hey, that is just how it will be.

Anyways RIP Chinese economy.
JohnRawls wrote:Actually. Since you are a bit interested in this. The reason why they are doing this is mainly economic. China has pumped enormous amount of credit in to their economy while being not so developed on a per capita basis. Basically what is happening is that if the factories/services don't work = credit can not be returned.

So right now we are witnessing the emplosion of Chinese economy of sorts. The official statistics will still show growth but China will loose any trust worthyness there is. Because you know, you can't have growth if you factories have not been working for a month now. Basically China is gonna implode economically somewhere in the next 4 years. It might happen in 6 months or it might happen in couple of years.

So investing in to stock is a bad idea. I mean, that is the whole reason why XI is pretending that everything is okay while it is not. This has long term consequences of not just the data becoming untrustworthy but also people being scared the longer the coronavirus is present in China. It is stupid to believe that goods contain it if people sneeze on it since ships take a long time to transport them but hey, that is just how it will be.

Anyways RIP Chinese economy.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SELL SELL SELL!

Seriously though, you may be right, but how long would it take for the stock market to recover after such implosion?
Rancid wrote:Seriously though, you may be right, but how long would it take for the stock market to recover after such implosion?

I think just a few months for the United States' case.
Darn it! I forgot to buy salt again. I am up to three weeks food, longer in other supplies. I think 28 days is the minimum, so still more stocking before the rush hits. I talked to the neighbours today, and they were still thinking that it couldn’t happen here.

Meanwhile, Chinese students are now returning to Australia to study.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-australia/australian-university-offers-chinese-students-1000-to-return-via-third-country-idUSKBN20F08A

Australian uni’s have helped them travel via third countries to avoid the travel ban on direct travel from China. So they use countries like Thailand, suspected of having a hidden outbreak itself. So yes, corona chan will become prevalent in Australia very soon. The ti ing will probably match the outbreak in America, as foreign students return to unis in that country. But hey, university incomes are much more important that public health issues. Right? :roll:
For the meds I have to take regularly, I stocked up for three months and more, considering that the supply of basic pharmaceuticals from China will be disrupted. When I was at the pharmacy, I picked up some extra stuff that might be useful and has long expiry dates: anti histamines, cough syrups, mucus dissolvers, and (sorry @Drlee ) some antibiotics also. Everything is over the counter here.

My cupboards are full ! Canned stuff and dry stuff mainly.
The deep freezers are also full.
@anasawad

The situation in Iran is alarming.
I hope your relatives and friends are safe.

At the time of this writing (9 AM local time), the government has closed down all schools in Tehran, Alborz, Boushehr, Semnan, Mazandaran, Gilan, Qazvin, Kashan, Kurdistan, Kermanshah, Ardebil, Zanjan, Hamedan, Golestan, Qom and Markazi till the end of the week, and West Azerbaijan for today (it will probably be extended).

Universities in Tehran, Qom, Hamedan, Qazvin, Markazi, Golestan, Mazandaran, Isfahan, Gilan, Lorestan and Alborz are also closed till further notice.

Yazd announced ALL universities close till April.

All movie theaters and shows are closed across the country till further notice. All sports events are suspended for 10 days. All soccer matches are held without spectators.

What are people doing about it?

Update @18:40 local time: People set fire on Hashtpar Hospital in Talesh, Gilan, N Iran in protest against bad condition of Corona patients and lack of proper care.

There are videos and news of unrest from Talesh, Gilan, North of Iran that people were protesting in front of Shahid Nourani Hospital against the coverup of the disease! There were dispersed by tear gas.

https://irantrue.com/iran-coronavirus-summary-feb-23/
Where did all the a-flu-is-worse commentators go? Are they still in hiding or have they become turncoats already?

Political Interest wrote:This is most likely going to become a pandemic. The real question is, how fatal is it and what is it we do not know?

It's the combination of a relatively high mortality and a very rapid spread that's the danger. Experts estimate that 60% of the population could be affected IF it goes unchecked, in other words, if governments don't take adequate measures to stop the spread.

That would mean 4.2 billion infections. With a death rate of 3% that would be 126 million deaths. If 20% get severely ill, that would mean 840 million severely ill, which would increase the death rate because many wouldn't get medical treatment.

Thus, it all depends on the measures taken by governments. A number of regimes could be toppled over this.

There is a good chance that this will become a before/after event. Posterity will view history before and after COVID19.
An epidemic is regional, a pandemic is global. This disease is a pandemic.

Patrickov thought the stock market would recover in a matter of months, another said he was going on a stock buying binge.

I would inject a note of caution. That sentiment expects the disease to follow one of the usual patterns. But, so far, this disease is not following normal patterns, it is highly transmissible.

So we will see.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]

Deliberately ignoring evidence showing IDF air str[…]

Indeed. It is strange, but they're all over the in[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ay43E94W58 :D […]