China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 32 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Difficult to not laugh about this.

Austria's public broadcaster reports in front of a quarantined hotel that nobody is allowed to enter and leave the building. Meanwhile, a guy walks out in the background with policemen holding the door open for him. :lol:

Political Interest wrote:The simple fact is that this virus is spread in large part by stupid and selfish people.

People who think they have the right to travel everywhere without regard for other people.

And those who dismiss it as little more than the flu are ignorant idiots.

You should hear the complaints and criticism by our universities and their international Chinese students here in NZ regarding the government's travel restrictions. They are apparently unreasonable and racist.
Italy is nearing the 500 infections mark and it may just be the peak of the iceberg. There are at least 5 different infections in 5 different countries (France, Croatia, Germany, Spain, Finland) that can be traced back to Milan, yet this city of 1.5 million has only 2 confirmed cases. Which means that there must be many more.

Italians may have been too complacent because the government took tough actions like the travel ban on China that they didn't bother testing people with symptoms who didn't have any direct link to China.

Germany registered 10 new cases, some can be traced back to Italy, but for most the chain of infection has not been established, which means there is now uncontrolled community infection. The carnival didn't help. With increased testing, the numbers are likely to increase in the coming days. They'll need to start containment measures soon.

Chinese using Kung Fu to prevent strangers from entering their village :lol:

According to the local health authority, about 14 per cent of patients who recovered from the novel coronavirus and were discharged from hospitals in southern China's Guangdong province were tested positive again in later check-ups.

14% of recovered coronavirus patients in China's Guangdong tested positive again

2nd infections can be worse if the 1st infection has caused organ damage.

In California there is a first case of a homeless person tested positive where the chain of infections can't be traced. So far, the US has only done about 500 tests, while Korea is testing more than a thousand each day.
So Trump, the ultimate science denier and chronic liar, who's gutted the CDC and cut billions out of the budget puts Mike "pray it away" Pence in charge of our coronavirus response!? The same guy who has previously claimed that smoking cigarettes does not cause cancer, argued that condoms don’t prevent STDs but rather threaten people’s lives, and fueled the worst HIV outbreak in his state’s history while governor. Sounds like a great idea. :roll:

You're fucked, America!
South Korea reports 334 new cases, raising the total to 1,595, a higher number than any province in China with the obvious exception of Hubei.

China reports 433 new cases, almost all in Hubei. Second most affected province in China is Guangdong with 1,333 cases.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:South Korea reports 334 new cases, raising the total to 1,595, a higher number than any province in China with the obvious exception of Hubei.

China reports 433 new cases, almost all in Hubei. Second most affected province in China is Guangdong with 1,333 cases.

Lets see what happens. This is my opinion:

Scenarios in the next 2 weeks:

1) China doesn't open up the factories. (China doesn't lift the bann on schools, factories etc) This is we are truly fucked scenario.

2) China opens up factories, schools, etc and the numbers spike in China. This is also we are fucked scenario.

3) China opens up factories, schools, etc and the numbers don't spike. This is a semi-okay scenario because hiding mass issues is not that easy even for China.

Lets see how it goes.
There are reports coming from California saying that they have a confirmed case where the person infected did no relevant travel recently. Suggesting this thing is getting ready to spread big time.

I'm going to start showering in bleach.

I have my trash bags full of gasoline as well.
I agree with @Godstud. We Americans are fucked.

So many people are just not going to go to the hospital because they don't want to get stuck with thousands of dollars of bills because of our corrupt/usurious/broken for MASSIVE profit health care system.

I'm just happy this thing doesn't seem to fuck up children as bad as adults.
I just watched the president's press conference. We are well and truly fucked. He repeatedly said that the US has only 15 cases which is not true. California has (at least) 33 confirmed cases. The US has 60 cases. But we have tested only 445 people. We do not know what is going on here.

On the CDC website is the admonition to talk to schools about remote schooling, expect serious "disruptions", etc.

CDC Said: "We expect we will see community spread in this country," said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.
"It's not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness."
The US has 60 confirmed cases, health officials said Wednesday, a number that is expected to grow.
"We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare in the expectation that this could be bad," Messonnier said.

"IT could be bad". It is bad. Very bad.
Rancid wrote:What's the confusion?

In the very next sentence I wrote, which you didn't include in your quote (for whatever reason), I said I'm canceling my travel plans.

Jeeze, lighten up. It seemed ironic, specifically Rawl's post. It was mostly just misworded, although his post was a little ignorant and hypocritical, especially because of what we know about the incubation period, asymptomatic infections, and the significance of global travel today (as Rawls and your own averted travel plans attest to.

I flew from China im mid January, well after the outbreak had begun but before it was publicly acknowledged much (a sign at SFO immigration stating all traveling from Wuhan must be health screened was probably the only indication I saw anywhere about the virus, including on this site--though Patrickov's 'new SARS?) post on Dec. 31 was the first information I saw anywhere).
Rancid wrote:I agree with @Godstud. We Americans are fucked.

So many people are just not going to go to the hospital because they don't want to get stuck with thousands of dollars of bills because of our corrupt/usurious/broken for MASSIVE profit health care system.

It could be the undoing of the republic if the system is unable to accommodate reform.

If necessary Rancid you can live in my pocket or purse.
Rancid wrote:I agree with @Godstud. We Americans are fucked.

This pandemic could lead to an interesting cross country study of health care systems, about the personal financial burden of coronavirus treatment for people in different countries.

I don't have insurance. I probably won't go to a doctor unless I get shot or something.

The photo in the article showing tunnels supposed[…]

Warnings for civilians to evacuate, including drop[…]

What interests are those? He is an honorary US […]

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]