China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 35 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
South Korea already struggling to provide healthcare for people in the worst affected area.

Yonhap wrote:
(2nd LD) S. Korea struggles to secure more hospital beds, medical staff amid spiking virus cases

All Headlines 14:50 February 28, 2020

(ATTN: CHANGES headline, lead; RECASTS throughout with updated tally and info; ADDS photo)

SEOUL, Feb. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's health authorities said Friday that they are making utmost efforts to secure more health care workers and hospital beds in the southeastern city of Daegu, the local epicenter of the new coronavirus outbreak, where more than 1,300 virus patients have been reported. Out of the confirmed 1,314 COVID-19 patients in the country's fourth-largest city, only 634 had been admitted to hospitals and another 680 were awaiting hospital beds while in self-quarantine at their homes as of early Friday, according to city government officials.

Daegu, population 2.4 million, has emerged as a hotbed of the coronavirus in South Korea, along with neighboring North Gyeongsang Province, which has seen 394 virus cases alone. Concerns over a possible shortage of hospital beds in the hardest-hit regions escalated after a 75-year-old virus patient who is tied to a religious sect in Daegu died of respiratory failure earlier Thursday, bringing the nation's death toll to 13. The patient, despite having underlying diseases, was in self-quarantine at home and died while awaiting admission to a local hospital.

"It is our principle to designate critical COVID-19 patients to hospitals that can provide intensive-care treatment," said Jeong Eun-kyeong, head of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A total of 853 medical staff, including 58 doctors, have volunteered to go to Daegu to help contain the current outbreak. "The government will not only provide financial compensation for medical staff who have volunteered to participate in preferential COVID-19 virus testing in the Daegu region but also ... praise their efforts for the local community," Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip said in a daily briefing. Health authorities also said they will first provide 47,000 protective suits and 77,000 facial masks for the medical staff working in the region. The KCDC said it has provided guidelines so that doctors can swiftly allocate hospital beds to patients in accordance with the severity of the disease and move serious patients to negative-pressure isolation wards.

As of Thursday, South Korea had 1,077 negative-pressure isolation rooms, which facilitate the treatment of patients with infectious diseases while minimizing the risk of cross-contamination. As such facilities have been overwhelmed in Daegu, big hospitals in Seoul have said they will accept virus patients who are in critical condition as well.

The country reported 256 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday morning, bringing the total number of infections here to 2,022, with 13 deaths.

------------------------------------

Today, the orcs have finally arrived in the Shire too.

Needless to say, there are still 0 cases in Best Korea.
https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/australian-health-sector-emergency-response-plan-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19

There’s the Australian plan. Looks good, but resources won’t be enough. Morrison got fried for his confused response to the bush fires, so he knew better how to appear to be handling a disaster. No waiting around for the WHO to make up it’s mind.

The idea is to stock up on critical medical supplies (oxygen and biohazard gear, I guess). Local testing. Call back retired doctors, mobilise medical students, etc. Set up extra wards to deal with infectious patients. Get most people to quarantine at home unless their are critically ill. Get the public to stock up on supplies, work from home if possible. Public transport might be stopped.

Anyway, we will find out soon enough if it is effective. Summer is ending and we are heading into the traditional flu season. This will be a double hit of influenza and covid-19. Also N95 masks are in short supply due to being used up during the bush fires and scalped for sale in China.

The local Asians have stopped wearing masks. They must have figured out the surgical masks only reduce the chance of an infected person spreading the disease (after we explained it to them). The local white Australians have no infection hygiene concept at all. A young idiot male was coughing away on the bus this morning, right over an old man. He should have had a surgical mask on to contain his muck spraying everywhere. The local governments need to start putting up posters on buses to educate idiots on hygiene. We need posters in public toilets too, about hand washing and closing toilet seats before flushing. If everyone is educated on hygiene and does their part, we can drop the R naught down. If we get it below 1, we win.
Maybe you guys can help me feel more panicked.

I do not understand the concern about food, water, electricity. This thing will not infect 100% of the population, even if it did, it will not kill 100% of the population. Thus, food, water, and electricity supply can continue. Same goes for gasoline; refineries do not have to shut down. The only way these things stop, is if we just decide to stop producing them. This isn't a hurricane, or a locust swarm that would destroy crops and infrastructure.

Shutting down any of those things is also bad for the economy, no one will want it to happen. Shutting these things down, will increase spread, no one wants that either. People still need to make money, people will still want to work, especially on the essential areas. Central banks around the globe will step in to deal with any sort of financial instability.

There are far too many people that do not want society to collapse, and thus, we will not let it collapse. We will find a way to not fall into a madmax world. We all live to comfortably to allow that.

Beyond panic buying, I don't see why we should be worried about these things. I just don't. That's not to say we shouldn't prepare, that's not to say we shouldn't get into good hygienic habits, etc. etc. Still, I just feel like there's a panic that shouldn't exist right now.

Let's just be calm for once. My grocery store still looks packed to the brim, and I don't see why that should stop. If all truck drivers became sick, then I'll fucking drive a truck. Someone will be there to drive the truck. There's too much at stake for everyone to just stay home and do nothing and let everything grind to a halt.

This is our chance to get rich off the panic. If I'm wrong, well, all that doesn't matter then. So get out there, and MAKE MORE MONEY!
I do not understand the concern about food, water, electricity. This thing will not infect 100% of the population, even if it did, it will not kill 100% of the population. Thus, food, water, and electricity supply can continue.

Not during a strict quarantine it won't. The people who run these things might be quarantined. Farmers can grow stuff but who is going to transport it and then get it into individual homes? Then. Many if not most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. When their income stops who is going to buy their food? Do you think the Trump administration will give them a rent holiday?

Same goes for gasoline; refineries do not have to shut down.

They very well might. Do you want to be the one who risks his life just so I can have a tank of gas to go......where?

The only way these things stop, is if we just decide to stop producing them. This isn't a hurricane, or a locust swarm that would destroy crops and infrastructure.

No. It is much worse. In a severe epidemic would you let your wife go work in Walmart as a checker?

Shutting down any of those things is also bad for the economy, no one will want it to happen.

Correct. See the answer above.

Shutting these things down, will increase spread, no one wants that either.

Really? How would keeping people out of contact with other people spread the disease?

People still need to make money, people will still want to work, especially on the essential areas.

Yes they want to work. Yes they want to make money. You are the one who wants essential service workers to take the risk for you. They may have another idea.
Central banks around the globe will step in to deal with any sort of financial instability.

You mean to protect the assets of the wealthy like they did in 2008? I agree. Shall we revisit how many people lost their homes so that the mortgage bankers did not fail?

There are far too many people that do not want society to collapse, and thus, we will not let it collapse. We will find a way to not fall into a madmax world. We all live to comfortably to allow that.

Not a Mad Max world but a very hungry and discouraged one is quite possible. Let me ask you. Are you for telling landlords that they are not going to get their rent or get reimbursed for it in the future? Are you going to tell the supermarket workers that they must stay on the job as risk killing grandma who lives at home with them? Then consider that 20% of those over 65 still work. Their staying home, as they ought to, will be a huge hit to the workforce.

Beyond panic buying, I don't see why we should be worried about these things.

Look what is already happening. We are importing very little from China. The auto manufacturers are not producing cars in great numbers because they can't get component parts. The US does not produce masks at all. They all come from overseas. We can't get them now because the government is sequestering what few we have. We make very few drugs here anymore.

I just don't. That's not to say we shouldn't prepare, that's not to say we shouldn't get into good hygienic habits, etc. etc. Still, I just feel like there's a panic that shouldn't exist right now.

No. You see that is the problem. There is not enough concern. We have the president telling everyone all is well and his own CDC telling us that a pandemic is inevitable. But you can feel good for now. I on the other hand am preparing.

Let's just be calm for once.

There is a term in sailing. Dead calm.

My grocery store still looks packed to the brim, and I don't see why that should stop. If all truck drivers became sick, then I'll fucking drive a truck.

And you wife will be just fine with you risking your live, her life and the lives of all of your children so that I can get Mac and Cheese? No she won't actually. And read what you said. "If all truck drivers became sick" Do you realize what that would mean? If a quarter of them became sick we would be well and truly fucked. And then think about what they are going to be carrying. Where are they going to get that stuff?

Someone will be there to drive the truck. There's too much at stake for everyone to just stay home and do nothing and let everything grind to a halt.

Yet that is exactly what happened in parts of China and is happening right now in Italy. Why do you think we are immune from the natural desire to stay alive?

This is our chance to get rich off the panic. If I'm wrong, well, all that doesn't matter then. So get out there, and MAKE MORE MONEY!

Stick to Penises. That is more your field.

on edit:

This isn't a hurricane, or a locust swarm that would destroy crops and infrastructure

No. But unlike them in this case there is no "away" to run to. There is no "someplace else" where stuff is made. And infrastructure moves people. When they stop moving the fact that interstate highways are there is irrelevant.

Will it get as bad as all this? Maybe not. Even probably not. But don't expect to get away without major disruptions.
I get what you're saying, but thus far, we have not seen issues like this in Korea/China/Italy yet. No mass shortages, nothing like that. BTW, we have a coworker stuck in Wuhan right now, he's doing just fine. He's not hungry. He can still get food.

Again, I'm not saying we don't prepare, I've stocked up on more food and soap (washing hands often is the single best thing any one of us can do to prevent spread). Still, just as much as we should not assume everything will be perfectly fine, we should also not assume everything is going to come crashing down either. That creates panic that could help spread things further.

Drlee wrote: Farmers can grow stuff but who is going to transport it and then get it into individual homes?

I just can't envision a scenario where so many farmers are sick, no one can work. Further, most of those farmers will recover, they will not die. Same for the truck drivers, same for the grocery store workers. Someone will always be willing to get out there and deliver, especially if the pay is right. This virus isn't going to hide behind bushes and jump out at you on a delivery route.

Hell 80% of infections are mild. Assuming you don't die, this will not leave people disabled.

Drlee wrote:You mean to protect the assets of the wealthy like they did in 2008? I agree. Shall we revisit how many people lost their homes so that the mortgage bankers did not fail?

I agree, that rich people will benefit the most once we recover from this. Hence my point, we need to get on board and make money too. If you are young, you should be putting more money into your 401k and IRAs. You're getting a discount.

Drlee wrote:And you wife will be just fine with you risking your live, her life and the lives of all of your children so that I can get Mac and Cheese? No she won't actually. And read what you said. "If all truck drivers became sick" Do you realize what that would mean? If a quarter of them became sick we would be well and truly fucked. And then think about what they are going to be carrying. Where are they going to get that stuff?

If the pay is right, she might be cool with it. We are all going to have to be willing to take risks for the sake of saving each other. Those that take the risk should be rewarded massively, they should be praised, and honored by the rest of us.
Rancid wrote:I get what you're saying, but thus far, we have not seen issues like this in Korea/China/Italy yet. No mass shortages, nothing like that. BTW, we have a coworker stuck in Wuhan right now, he's doing just fine. He's not hungry. He can still get food.

Again, I'm not saying we don't prepare, I've stocked up on more food and soap (washing hands often is the single best thing any one of us can do to prevent spread). Still, just as much as we should not assume everything will be perfectly fine, we should also not assume everything is going to come crashing down either. That creates panic that could help spread things further.

I just can't envision a scenario where so many farmers are sick, no one can work. Further, most of those farmers will recover, they will not die. Same for the truck drivers, same for the grocery store workers. Someone will always be willing to get out there and deliver, especially if the pay is right. This virus isn't going to hide behind bushes and jump out at you on a delivery route.

Hell 80% of infections are mild. Assuming you don't die, this will not leave people disabled.

I agree, that rich people will benefit the most once we recover from this. Hence my point, we need to get on board and make money too. If you are young, you should be putting more money into your 401k and IRAs. You're getting a discount.

If the pay is right, she might be cool with it. We are all going to have to be willing to take risks for the sake of saving each other. Those that take the risk should be rewarded massively, they should be praised, and honored by the rest of us.

Listen, wait untill summer. Once the temperatures start reaching 20+ C then the epidemic will subside due to the virus dying out by itself. Viruses still need to eat and drink, well sort off, so the weather affects them. Still it is a problem if it makes a return after the summer.
JohnRawls wrote:Listen, wait untill summer. Once the temperatures start reaching 20+ C then the epidemic will subside due to the virus dying out by itself. Viruses still need to eat and drink, well sort off, so the weather affects them. Still it is a problem if it makes a return after the summer.

Sure, and hopefully there's a vaccine around then too.

As for teh farmers and truck drivers, give them all hazmat suits. Done and done, everyone is fed and protected.
JohnRawls wrote:
Listen, wait untill summer. Once the temperatures start reaching 20+ C then the epidemic will subside due to the virus dying out by itself. Viruses still need to eat and drink, well sort off, so the weather affects them. Still it is a problem if it makes a return after the summer.

Umm, no.

You're thinking this will be like a cold or the flu. We don't know that yet.

Viruses don't die out. There is less transmission because windows are open, and people are a little less crowded. Schools out (children are petri dishes with legs), people spend more time outside.

We need to wait for the numbers, but this sucker may win the Asexual Olympics for reproduction. It is really good at jumping from person to person.
late wrote:Umm, no.

You're thinking this will be like a cold or the flu. We don't know that yet.

Viruses don't die out. There is less transmission because windows are open, and people are a little less crowded. Schools out (children are petri dishes with legs), people spend more time outside.

We need to wait for the numbers, but this sucker may win the Asexual Olympics for reproduction. It is really good at jumping from person to person.

Yeah we do. At 20+ it already has issues surviving. It can live on surfaces for days but in temperatures above 20+ it has problems while 30+ and higher it can't live longer than an hour. At 52 it dies straight away.
late wrote:We need to wait for the numbers, but this sucker may win the Asexual Olympics for reproduction. It is really good at jumping from person to person.

Not if everyone thoroughly wash their hands before touching their holes on their heads (i.e. eyes, nose, mouth or even ears). Whether masks are as important depends on how crowded the place is, but keeping a metre or two between anybody would also help.
Patrickov wrote:
Not if everyone thoroughly wash their hands before touching their holes on their heads (i.e. eyes, nose, mouth or even ears). Whether masks are as important depends on how crowded the place is, but keeping a metre or two between anybody would also help.

Countries have started closing schools and telling people to stay home.

Wanna guess why?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It has always been this way, @QatzelOk . Zionists[…]

...You are a supporter of the genocide against th[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]