How Republicans will cheat their way to a win - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hindsite wrote:One problem is not requiring a photo ID for every voter. :lol:

It appears that people on the left don't care about free and fair elections if they are explicitly against voting with identification while using the flimsy pretext/conspiracy theories about secret racist who are keeping blacks from voting for no other reasons than they don't like the color of their skin.

Elections in Mexico and the US: Comparisons and contrasts

Is voter registration the same?

Another difference between the countries is that Mexico's voter registration system is much tighter than that of the US.

In many US states, voter registration is very slipshod. People can actually register to vote and cast ballots without having to prove their identity and citizenship. On voting day, many states don't require identification of any kind and most don't require a photo ID.

In Mexico, each voter is provided with a government-supplied voter ID card, which includes the voter's photograph, fingerprints, and a holographic image.

The polling station workers have a book with the photograph of every single voter in the precinct. They can check that book against the photo on the ID card. After voting, the voter's thumb is smudged with ink, to prevent repeat voting. (The ink wears off after a few days).

As a US citizen, I don't vote in Mexico, but I have accompanied my Mexican wife when she votes, so I've observed Mexican voting firsthand. I find the Mexican voter registration system impressive and superior to ours. We can learn from Mexico, and it would be beneficial for US states to adopt elements of the Mexican voter registration system.

In conclusion, the U.S. and Mexico both have elections this year. A comparative study of the two nations' voting systems is interesting and instructive. By learning how the other country votes, we can better understand what is going on there.
Published or Updated on: June 14, 2012 by Allan Wall © 2012
Contact Allan Wall
late wrote:We have a system already that does an excellent job.

You could do automatic registration, that's even better.

But it would do the opposite of what you want to happen.

Automatic registration is crazy for it would make cheating that much easier and probably lead to anarchy.
Hindsite wrote:
Automatic registration is crazy for it would make cheating that much easier and probably lead to anarchy.

"The United States is almost alone among industrial countries and other democracies in putting most of the onus of registering to vote on individual voters, a sometimes cumbersome process that may explain a large portion of why turnout rates in the U.S. are lower than in many other countries.

Oregon was the first state to implement automatic voter registration system in 2016, and the state's Democratic governor, Kate Brown, told Politico earlier this year that it had been a "phenomenal success." She said it has helped to diversify the state's voter rolls by attracting more minorities and individuals who tend to be lower income and more non-urban. She added that it does not appear to favor one political party over the other."

Oregon hasn't had problems, and it actually saves money.

Doubtless you will google up that California did have problems. Which only happened because they didn't do their homework, and get the state ready to handle the change.

Set up properly, it works fine, and not just in this country.

Besides, you love cheating.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/11/71177975 ... gistration
late wrote:"The United States is almost alone among industrial countries and other democracies in putting most of the onus of registering to vote on individual voters, a sometimes cumbersome process that may explain a large portion of why turnout rates in the U.S. are lower than in many other countries.

Oregon was the first state to implement automatic voter registration system in 2016, and the state's Democratic governor, Kate Brown, told Politico earlier this year that it had been a "phenomenal success." She said it has helped to diversify the state's voter rolls by attracting more minorities and individuals who tend to be lower income and more non-urban. She added that it does not appear to favor one political party over the other."

Oregon hasn't had problems, and it actually saves money.

Doubtless you will google up that California did have problems. Which only happened because they didn't do their homework, and get the state ready to handle the change.

Set up properly, it works fine, and not just in this country.

Besides, you love cheating.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/11/71177975 ... gistration

As long as the Republicans win, I will not complain.
HalleluYah
maz wrote:It appears that people on the left don't care about free and fair elections if they are explicitly against voting with identification while using the flimsy pretext/conspiracy theories about secret racist who are keeping blacks from voting for no other reasons than they don't like the color of their skin.

What is the greatest threat to free and fair elections in America? Here’s a hint: it’s not Russia or any other foreign power. It’s not a person, either. It’s something much more subtle, and much more dangerous. Investigative reporter Eric Eggers has the answer.
maz wrote:
It appears that people on the left don't care about free and fair elections if they are explicitly against voting with identification

while using the flimsy pretext/conspiracy theories about secret racist who are keeping blacks from voting for no other reasons than they don't like the color of their skin.

Sigh.

You do need identification.

There are thousands of documented cases of racist attempts at voter suppression. Start with the several hundred pages of documentation in the re-authorization of the VRA.
Sivad wrote:What is the greatest threat to free and fair elections in America? Here’s a hint: it’s not Russia or any other foreign power. It’s not a person, either. It’s something much more subtle, and much more dangerous. Investigative reporter Eric Eggers has the answer.

It's worth nothing that on one hand, there is this incessant whining in the media about evil racist white Republicans suppressing, controlling and manipulating the votes in southern states while on the other hand, there is an admittance in the media that the black Democrat establishment essentially determines the outcome of the entire election in at least one southern state.

Here's why Clyburn's Biden endorsement could prove crucial ahead of South Carolina primary

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn on Wednesday morning threw his weight behind former Vice President Joe Biden, offering a much-needed boost for the one-time Democratic frontrunner who has fallen behind several of his competitors in early primaries.

“I want the public to know that I’m voting for Joe Biden,” Clyburn said at a press conference in Charleston, S.C., reminiscing about the devotion his wife, who died last year, had to the former vice president. “South Carolinians should be voting for Joe Biden.”

Clyburn, the third-ranking Democrat in the House of Representatives, has long been a force in presidential politics, thanks to his status as one of the highest-profile African American leaders in the influential early state. Presidential candidates make a quadrennial pilgrimage to Clyburn’s famed “fish fry” event, a key stop for the contenders, and his endorsement has become one of the most anticipated events of the South Carolina primary.

Clyburn’s influence was demonstrated in the 2008 presidential election when he backed Barack Obama, a junior senator, over Hillary Clinton, the presumed frontrunner. That endorsement was widely credited as a key moment in Obama’s ultimately successful presidential campaign.

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., who is the chair of the House Democratic Caucus and the fifth-ranked Democrat in the House, described Clyburn as a “towering figure” within the party.

“Without question Jim Clyburn’s endorsement is one of the most coveted indications of support anywhere in the country, particularly in the context of the South Carolina primary, certainly, but it goes much deeper than that,” Jeffries said.

Clyburn’s endorsement of Biden, who already enjoyed strong support from African-Americans in South Carolina, was not a total surprise. On Tuesday evening, prior to the announcement of Biden’s official endorsement, Politico reported that Clyburn would support him.

But Biden’s poor performance in Iowa and New Hampshire, and second-place finish in Nevada, has made a strong showing in South Carolina’s Saturday primary all the more vital. The former vice president was expected to have a firewall in the state, thanks to a solid base of African-American support there. But after strong early showings from Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Biden’s strength in South Carolina has been called into question.

A Democratic strategist in South Carolina, who spoke to Yahoo News prior to Clyburn’s endorsement, emphasized the importance of the endorsement and insisted it would carry weight.

“Whomever and whenever the majority whip will endorse will have clear understanding about the political net worth of his endorsement and his political network in one of the most consequential states,” the South Carolina strategist said.
The media went hysterical and screeched about the alleged voter suppression of poor blacks and Latinos from the Tuesday primaries in Houston, TX. These media outlets all appeared to be suggesting a conspiracy theory where white supremacists down south are suppressing the minority vote to keep the state from going blue..

They latched on to one black man who was said to have waited anywhere from 5 to 7 hours to vote.

They ignored all of the others who had to wait, which included people who weren't all black. As you can see below, there were also white people who had to wait to vote just like the one black man.

The funny thing is that the person in charge of the elections and the voting machines in Harris County is a Democrat, and she originally tried to blame the GOP for the voting problems in the county she runs. She finally issued a statement accepting responsibility.

Harris County Clerk’s Office takes responsibility for long lines, wait times at polling locations

Officials say they would be re-evaluating how the voting machines are allocated based on voter turnout projections.

HOUSTON — The Harris County Clerk’s Office is taking responsibility for the long lines at voting locations during the Texas Primary Election held on Tuesday.

County Clerk Diane Trautman released a statement Friday morning saying: “The responsibility of my office, is to provide equipment and to tabulate the results. We did the best with what we had and what we believed was fair and equitable by allocating equal amounts of equipment to each party.”

Trautman added that her office would be re-evaluating how the voting machines are allocated based on voter turnout projections.

Here is the full statement released on Friday morning:

“Over the past three days, I have heard from voters, community groups, media, and elected officials regarding concerns about long lines on Election Day. There were several factors at play that led to this event, but make no mistake – I believe very strongly that the right to vote is core to our democracy and the voting booth should be accessible for everyone.

“Running an election in this political climate can truly be a balancing act, especially in a Texas primary where the political parties contract with my office to administer the election. The responsibility of the parties, is to come to an agreement on the polling locations and staffing of election workers. The responsibility of my office, is to provide equipment and to tabulate the results. We did the best with what we had and what we believed was fair and equitable by allocating equal amounts of equipment to each party. However, we take full responsibility for the long lines and wait times, and apologize to the voters and communities who were affected. We will reevaluate machine allocations and turnout projections based on both the data we have available and feedback from the community for the Primary Runoff Election.

“In the 15 months I have been in office, my team and I have made a variety of changes to increase equity at the polls. Among these, the implementation of Countywide Polling, expanded Early Voting hours and locations, enhanced Election Judge training, and adding locations on college campuses like Texas Southern University.

“It is clear that the history of marginalized communities being left behind in the voting process has led to polling deserts in areas of Harris County. I believe that we have made some strides, but we still have work left to do.

“Moving forward, the voters of Harris County have my commitment to working together to make sure the November General Election is a success. There will be more than 50 Early Voting locations and approximately 750 Election Day polling locations.

“I would again like to express my immense gratitude toward all election judges, poll workers, and voters who give their time and passion to making democracy come alive.”
“Running an election in this political climate can truly be a balancing act, especially in a Texas primary where the political parties contract with my office to administer the election. The responsibility of the parties, is to come to an agreement on the polling locations and staffing of election workers. The responsibility of my office, is to provide equipment and to tabulate the results. We did the best with what we had..."

That is one seriously dumbass way to run an election.
Hindsite wrote:
If we lived in a sinless world, we would not have Democrats.

Among Trumps thousands of sins, the way he used his 'charity' for his own benefit really stands out, doncha think?

I particularly like the way he used it to buy a portrait of himself. That just screams class, the trailer trash kind.
late wrote:Among Trumps thousands of sins, the way he used his 'charity' for his own benefit really stands out, doncha think?

I particularly like the way he used it to buy a portrait of himself. That just screams class, the trailer trash kind.

I can't think of anything Trump has done since he became President that I consider a sin.
Praise the Lord.

The safe zones are not safe. Misusing humanitarian[…]

Voting for this guy again would be a very banana-[…]

The photo in the article showing tunnels supposed[…]

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]