Coronavirus, World facing Desperate Days - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

SaddamHuseinovic wrote:I think it will become the new flu repeating each winter. We have to learn to live with it. It has spread so fast the virus will mutate so no vaccine will help

So sort of like the norovirus then . http://www.quickmeme.com/img/2d/2d0961d3963d36377c3efde53c9d4c9b03081cf527318ddc5459106c93b2c213.jpg We have had outbreaks of this infectious disease , recurring from time to time , which originated in my home state of Ohio . https://www.norovirus.com/history-of-norovirus/ Most notably , it had affected the 2016 Republican National Convention , in Cleveland , Ohio . https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/07/19/norovirus-strikes-the-republican-national-convention/
Total shock as fear-mongering scientist appears to be proven wrong in hysterical over-the-top coronavirus predictions.

The big question for me remains whether will the coronavirus cause as many deaths as 2009-2010's H1N1 pandemic of anywhere from 12,000-16,000.

The Scientist Whose Doomsday Pandemic Model Predicted Armageddon Just Walked Back The Apocalyptic Predictions

British scientist Neil Ferguson ignited the world’s drastic response to the novel Wuhan coronavirus when he published the bombshell report predicting 2.2 million Americans and more than half a million Brits would be killed. After both the U.S. and U.K. governments effectively shut down their citizens and economies, Ferguson is walking back his doomsday scenarios.

Ferguson’s report from Imperial College, which White House and other officials took seriously, said that if the U.S. and U.K. did not shut down for 18 months, and isolation measures were not taken, “we would expect a peak in mortality (daily deaths) to occur after approximately 3 months.” His “models” showed overflowing hospitals and ICU beds.

“For an uncontrolled epidemic, we predict critical care bed capacity would be exceeded as early as the second week in April, with an eventual peak in ICU or critical care bed demand that is over 30 times greater than the maximum supply in both countries,” the report reads.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, reportedly said the administration was particularly focused on the Imperial College report’s conclusion that entire households should stay in isolation for 14 days if any member suffered from COVID-19 symptoms.

But after tens of thousands of restaurants, bars, and businesses closed, Ferguson is now retracting his modeling, saying he feels “reasonably confident” our health care system can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in a few weeks. Testifying before the U.K.’s parliamentary select committee on science and technology on Wednesday, Ferguson said he now predicts U.K. deaths from the disease will not exceed 20,000, and could be much lower.

To put things into perspective, H1N1 was allowed to run rampant from April 15, 2009 to June 11, 2009 before the WHO declared the virus to be a pandemic. There were deaths at least 500 deaths (or greater) before Barack Obama declared a national emergency.

Ferguson, who has since tested positive for the Wuhan virus himself, has not issued any official retraction or apologies for his incorrect predictions. The New Scientist reports Ferguson did acknowledge it was impractical to keep the country in an isolated lockdown for 12 to 18 months, especially because of the impact on the economy. “We’ll be paying for this year for decades to come,” he said.

The Imperial College report was also the basis for the modeling used by the website COVID Act Now, which local and state officials in the U.S. then used to issue “shelter-in-place” mandates. COVID Act Now, which was founded by a handful of Democratic activists in Silicon Valley, is an online mapping tool that generates models predicting coronavirus hospitalizations, which have also already proved to be wildly inaccurate.
It's already past that. It's currently at 24,000 and we haven't hit the peak yet.

It's much worse than the 2009 outbreak. I'm expecting a figure roughly 50-75k depending on how far away the peak is. Could be still a far way off.
colliric wrote:It's already past that. It's currently at 24,000 and we haven't hit the peak yet.

It's much worse than the 2009 outbreak. I'm expecting a figure roughly 50-75k depending on how far away the peak is. Could be still a far way off.

We are only at 1000 here in the US, and we had 12000-16000 swine flu deaths here in the US alone (source). There are thought to have been 254,000 deaths worldwide (source).

I think the CDC originally said 17,000 deaths worldwide but then that would have meant that there were only a about 5000 worldwide if we take into account the commonly agreed upon 12000 minimum deaths in the US from H1N1.

I think the conclusion is that the media can just print whatever numbers they want and no one is non the wiser. There can be no real way to determine the deaths of anything these days without the blind trust of journalists.
maz wrote:Total shock as fear-mongering scientist appears to be proven wrong in hysterical over-the-top coronavirus predictions.

The Scientist Whose Doomsday Pandemic Model Predicted Armageddon Just Walked Back The Apocalyptic Predictions

He's trying to pretend that he didn't walk back anything, that the lockdown worked and if the UK didn't go into lockdown his original projection would hold.

whatever, these fuckers never come off it. they always try to play off their epic wrongness with some lame bullshit that only dinks who are desperate to keep the faith in official babbittdom will buy.
colliric wrote:Still for a pandemic it is one of the worse ones of recent years.

It's like a 50 year storm, you take the hit and move on. You don't compound it by crashing the global economy, that's just crazy.

I think these babbitts get a perverse pleasure out of putting people in lockdown, they're control freaks on a power trip who get off on flexing their authority and getting a terrified public to obey their babbitt directives.
Sivad wrote:It's like a 50 year storm, you take the hit and move on. You don't compound it by crashing the global economy, that's just crazy.

I'm all for battening down the hatches when a fifty year storm rolls in but lockdown economic collapse is like demolishing your house before the storm hits so shingles don't fly off the roof and hit your car.
Sivad wrote:I'm all for battening down the hatches when a fifty year storm rolls in but lockdown economic collapse is like demolishing your house before the storm hits so shingles don't fly off the roof and hit your car.

lol we're not even at that point yet, the economy is still well within the assurance of fiscal spending.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Im kinda sick of this virus hysteria here 12 people died all of them old people with health issues the youngest one is 67.
old people dying is not a reason to close off the entire country they would die soon anyway
more people will die from suicide and depression than from this virus

Supermarkets still open there? Isn't there a 100m rule currently in Israel? Can you still go to the supermarket?
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Im kinda sick of this virus hysteria here 12 people died all of them old people with health issues the youngest one is 67.
old people dying is not a reason to close off the entire country they would die soon anyway

Hmm, I guess you’re right. Gaza and West Bank lockdowns could be lifted. No one dying of coronavirus there. What about Lebanon? Do they need a lockdown?
Sivad wrote:It's like a 50 year storm, you take the hit and move on. You don't compound it by crashing the global economy, that's just crazy.

I think these babbitts get a perverse pleasure out of putting people in lockdown, they're control freaks on a power trip who get off on flexing their authority and getting a terrified public to obey their babbitt directives.

The people support it.

If you every needed any proof that the government is not controlled by corporations and wall street, there it is. I'm not so sure about you though..

I agree. I am 76 and depressed already over this COVID-19 hysteria requiring social distancing and sheltering in place for me when I hear on the TV news that the politicians are deciding to release some prisoners early to fight the virus. Seems like they are getting rewarded and we old folks are getting punished. I even heard Democrat Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez complaining that the $2 trillion bill was not providing money for the illegal immigrants. They finally had to cut off her microphone to get her to stop talking so they could pass the bill. Those Democrats make life so depressing.
Hindsite wrote:Those Democrats make life so depressing.

IMHO whoever attacking their perceived enemies in every post they make on PoFo are both depressing and annoying.

Seriously, I rather have someone just Praise the Lord more.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Define died first? Are missing in action for mo[…]

@FiveofSwords What is race? How to define it[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]