Perfect storm? - Page 25 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:
But the fact that Cuba has a better healthcare system than the USA does not change the fact that the free market is not good at viral outbreaks.

POD: I am in shock! You actually believe health care in Cuba is better than in the USA and Canada!

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of drugs and medicines during 2018.

Germany: US$62.3 billion (16.8% of total drugs and medicines exports)
Switzerland: $45.3 billion (12.2%)
Belgium: $27.8 billion (7.5%)
France: $25.9 billion (7%)
United States: $22 billion (5.9%)
Ireland: $21.7 billion (5.8%)
United Kingdom: $19.7 billion (5.3%)
Italy: $19.6 billion (5.3%)
Netherlands: $16.8 billion (4.5%)
India: $13.1 billion (3.5%)
Denmark: $13 billion (3.5%)
Spain: $9 billion (2.4%)
Canada: $6.8 billion (1.8%)
Sweden: $6.7 billion (1.8%)
Austria: $5.5 billion (1.5%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/drugs-m ... s-country/

All of the above nations are capitalist. By the way Canada and Cuba did not make the list. As you know Canada gets many meds from the USA.
By late
Cuba was doing a decent job at health care back when citizens of other Latino countries were getting raped, shot and thrown out of helicopters.
By Pants-of-dog
Julian658 wrote:POD: I am in shock! You actually believe health care in Cuba is better than in the USA and Canada!

I never said it was better than Canada.

But it is better than the USA. The virus has shown us that.

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of drugs and medicines during 2018.

Germany: US$62.3 billion (16.8% of total drugs and medicines exports)
Switzerland: $45.3 billion (12.2%)
Belgium: $27.8 billion (7.5%)
France: $25.9 billion (7%)
United States: $22 billion (5.9%)
Ireland: $21.7 billion (5.8%)
United Kingdom: $19.7 billion (5.3%)
Italy: $19.6 billion (5.3%)
Netherlands: $16.8 billion (4.5%)
India: $13.1 billion (3.5%)
Denmark: $13 billion (3.5%)
Spain: $9 billion (2.4%)
Canada: $6.8 billion (1.8%)
Sweden: $6.7 billion (1.8%)
Austria: $5.5 billion (1.5%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/drugs-m ... s-country/

All of the above nations are capitalist. By the way Canada and Cuba did not make the list. As you know Canada gets many meds from the USA.[/quote]

And? This is completely irrelevant to whether or not you can save the lives of your own people.

When it comes to this virus, you guys could use Cuba’s help.
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:
And? This is completely irrelevant to whether or not you can save the lives of your own people.

When it comes to this virus, you guys could use Cuba’s help.

POD:

I seriously doubt you have a STEM degree.
By Pants-of-dog
Julian658 wrote:POD:

I seriously doubt you have a STEM degree.

You do not need a degree to see that the US healthcare system is not as good as a certain developing country when it comes to this virus.
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:You do not need a degree to see that the US healthcare system is not as good as a certain developing country when it comes to this virus.

POD: You are trolling. But, let's follow your logic. You assume Cuba has better health care because they have a lower incidence of Corona virus. Let's also assume that the Cubans have tested all citizens of the island as this is your gold standard.

Papua New Guinea has one case
Cuba has 80 cases

I have concluded that Papua New Guinea has the best health care system in the world. It is way better than Cuba which is among the most sophisticated in the world. Cuba's medical system was designed by Ché who was a physician, but also a killer.

By Patrickov
Julian658 wrote:Papua New Guinea has one case
Cuba has 80 cases

Seriously it is down to whether a country does (and can do) tests and how extensive the people there contact the outside world.

I suspect Papua New Guinea mainly simply lacks testing resources.
By Julian658
Patrickov wrote:Seriously it is down to whether a country does (and can do) tests and how extensive the people there contact the outside world.

I suspect Papua New Guinea mainly simply lacks testing resources.

POD: You are supposed to be a STEM person. The high or low number of cases in any given country has no relationship to the quality of health care or whether they have UHC or private insurance. IN this instance there is nothing to talk about about, not even correlation.
By Pants-of-dog
@Julian658

Since you do not seem to know what I am actually arguing, as well as other reasons, this discussion is unproductive.

Have a good one.
By Truth To Power
Godstud wrote:@Truth To Power
Changing the definitions to suit a narrative isn't kosher.

But consistently using a narrow technical definition to aid clarity helps avoid equivocation fallacies based on broad vernacular definitions like:
Privilege
- a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

Advantage
- a condition or circumstance that puts one in a favorable or superior position.

See?
A privilege IS an advantage. You cannot confuse the two.

Yes, a privilege is an advantage; but not all advantages are privileges. Why are you refusing to know the fact that there is a difference between advantages like intelligence, beauty, etc. that do not take anything from others that they would otherwise have (and are thus not privileges) and advantages like land titles, IP monopolies, bank licenses, etc. that DO take from others, and which therefore are privileges?
By Truth To Power
Julian658 wrote:That is a problem. You may remove all privilege and come back in six months and find out privilege has been created again and again.

That is certainly the historical pattern. But I think we can do better. Slavery was also a widespread historical pattern. Now it isn't.
You are fighting nature.

I am fighting human greed and evil -- specifically, their sanction and enforcement in law and public policy.
Yes, but if you go back in time there was an ancestor that got ahead with NO privilege.

So what? We all have such ancestors, duh. The question is, what is the wealth of the current rich based on? Almost without exception, it is privilege.
This sounds a lot like "the rich make money by stealing from the poor". It is just a more sophisticated lefty slogan.

It is an indisputable fact of objective physical reality, and you cannot dispute it.
By Truth To Power
Patrickov wrote:I think I have said before, but wealth is like matter and they tend to crowd up like planets, galaxies and stars. This is why we almost always see rich people getting richer and vice versa. Maybe it is impractical to see such phenomenon as something that can be eliminated.

That only happens because of privilege. Without privilege, people could only accumulate wealth by producing what others want. That makes everyone better off and enables others to more effectively produce and accumulate in competition with the wealthy: negative feedback. Privilege legally entitles its owners to accumulate wealth by making others worse off. The more privileged you are, the more you can take from everyone else, and the more privilege you can buy: positive feedback.
By Truth To Power
Julian658 wrote:What I meant to say is that the talented create their own privilege.

No, the talented merely have advantages, which do not take anything from others. The greedy, evil, sociopathic rich get government to create privilege that legally entitles them to take from others.
The poster implies that people get ahead because they are given privilege. That is the essential flaw in his hypothesis.

No; sometimes they are given it; usually they buy it; sometimes they have to compete to take it. Like slaves.
By Truth To Power
Rich wrote:Oh my mistake I thought the Senate was elected in free and fair elections in the united States, but I guess it must be appointed by the head of government like in Thailand.

It is appointed, almost without exception, by rich, greedy, privileged parasites.
By Julian658
Truth To Power wrote:No, the talented merely have advantages, which do not take anything from others.

Would that be Henry Ford, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Tiger Woods, The Beatles, etc?

The greedy, evil, sociopathic rich get government to create privilege that legally entitles them to take from others.

Would that be Donald Trump, Hillary and Bill Clinton, CEO of BC/BS, etc?

Do you realize you are forming a hypothesis based on a tiny minority of the population? Most people are working from week to week to put food on the table. The people that twist the system in their favor are the so-called 0.01% . We could get rid of them tomorrow and the hierarchy of talent among humans would be exactly the same. I have no problem in taking the money away from the Clintons or 45 as they did no invent or create anything. Hopefully, you would allow the Henry Fords of the world to thrive.

No; sometimes they are given it; usually they buy it; sometimes they have to compete to take it. Like slaves.

Slavery was universal! It has nothing to do with privilege, but with a group of people conquering another group during the not so distant barbaric era.
By Patrickov
Julian658 wrote:POD: You are supposed to be a STEM person. The high or low number of cases in any given country has no relationship to the quality of health care or whether they have UHC or private insurance. IN this instance there is nothing to talk about about, not even correlation.

I am not Member Pants-of-Dog. We just happen to have the same letter at the start of our names.
By Patrickov
Truth To Power wrote:That only happens because of privilege. Without privilege, people could only accumulate wealth by producing what others want. That makes everyone better off and enables others to more effectively produce and accumulate in competition with the wealthy: negative feedback. Privilege legally entitles its owners to accumulate wealth by making others worse off. The more privileged you are, the more you can take from everyone else, and the more privilege you can buy: positive feedback.

For the no-privilege scenario, there will still be people who can accumulate wealth better than others. My point is that inequality will always exist.
By Godstud
Patrickov wrote:My point is that inequality will always exist.
Yes, but it's equality of opportunity that is the objective.
By Patrickov
Godstud wrote:Yes, but it's equality of opportunity that is the objective.

With people's perception of their situation involved, I suspect sometimes it is hard to draw a line between inequality of outcome and inequality of opportunities.
By late
Patrickov wrote:
With people's perception of their situation involved, I suspect sometimes it is hard to draw a line between inequality of outcome and inequality of opportunities.

Or you could just pay attention to the real world..
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]