China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 106 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
US is meddling in everyone politics and legally allowing meddling in its own politics thought lobbies
but when others (uninvited guests) attempt to do it than its a "big problem" :lol:
US attempts to this day to change the political sphere in Russia unsuccessfully because Russia is not a democracy and not prone to such manipulations
Brazil is going with the "Let her rip" strategy. Their Trump like president is going against what his health ministry is asking him to do. I'm sure there will be very low rates of testing in that country.

I'll wait for the first person on this thread to say "looks brazil has it under control and the US doesn't" to then laugh at them. :lol:
Rancid wrote:Brazil is going with the "Let her rip" strategy. Their Trump like president is going against what his health ministry is asking him to do. I'm sure there will be very low rates of testing in that country.

I'll wait for the first person on this thread to say "looks brazil has it under control and the US doesn't" to then laugh at them. :lol:

average age in Brazil is 31 while in UK its 40 and in italy its 45
they probably took this in consideration as its not worth to risk the economy for relatively small amount of people who can potentially die
Zionist Nationalist wrote:

they probably took this in consideration as its not worth to risk the economy for relatively small amount of people who can potentially die

Looking just at the average age of the country isn't enough data to make a proper judgement on how they would fare.

I'm sure you or I do not know enough about Brazil to make a proper judgement. Their relative young age helps, but can their health system sustain the load? Culturally speaking, Brazilians are more family oriented (like Hispanics) and more likely to have multiple generations n the same home. This could increase spread as well.

Setting aside for a moment that any decision like the one you think has been made would be nothing short of psychopathic.....

95% of people in Iran are under 65. More than 50% are under 40. So much for your theory.
Godstud wrote:How do you keep a border open with China? :eh: Is that wall going up, yet? :lol:

That's one thing we won't have to worry about. Asian countries, including China and Japan, have already started to build that wall, and they will make us pay for it, if not directly then indirectly. All non-essential visits are banned and those who absolutely have to come are put into a 14-day quarantine. These are manufacturing countries that don't need foreign tourists.
Rancid wrote:I'm very interested in seeing how these countries fare.

I am very interested in Sweden. Their strategy mirrors my opinion. Although perhaps unwise given all of Europe seems to be walking the same line and they are taking steps to the left. If it works, they get the plaudits. Although if they are wrong they have no excuse and the government will take a backlash for not following standard protocol.
B0ycey wrote:
I am very interested in Sweden. Their strategy mirrors my opinion. Although perhaps unwise given all of Europe seems to be walking the same line and they are taking steps to the left. If it works, they get the plaudits. Although if they are wrong they have no excuse and the government will take a backlash for not following standard protocol.

It is certainly a risk they are taking, which is what makes this interesting. :lol: :D
Drlee wrote:Setting aside for a moment that any decision like the one you think has been made would be nothing short of psychopathic.....

95% of people in Iran are under 65. More than 50% are under 40. So much for your theory.

:lol: Yeah well even young people might be advised to refrain from shrine kissing. Its not like our societies face a binary choice in how we respond. There doesn't seem to have been much thought given as to which measures would produce maximum slowing of the spread and maximum protection for the most vulnerable for the minimal long term economic damage.

However to some extent all politicians, even the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party are hostages to the whims of people. I rung my Mum several weeks back and my sister, whose partner has got cancer, was still hoping to go on a mini break to North Italy. Really I'm not making this up. The politicians blase attitude to significant degree reflected the blase attitude of the public. I think the current lock down is totally unsustainable and totally unrealistic as a strategy. But the people will have to find that out for themselves. Any politician that starts trying to tell the public hard truths, in all likelihood won't be a politician for long.

Oh for God's sake. WRONG. Let me fix this for you:

Although if they are wrong they have no excuse and the government will take a backlash thousands of people will die a painful and needless death for not following standard protocol.
Rancid wrote:Culturally speaking, Brazilians are more family oriented (like Hispanics) and more likely to have multiple generations n the same home. This could increase spread as well.

This is probably a factor in Italy and Spain as well.
Drlee wrote:Oh for God's sake. WRONG. Let me fix this for you:

Sure, because your opinion is more professional than that of the Swedes. :lol:

I don't know how to break the bad news, but the West is trying to flatten the curve, not to eradicate the virus. The Swedes are also trying to flatten the curve. Same objective, different routes. If you are so damn concerned for needless deaths, you best be calling for more strict measures.
Last edited by B0ycey on 30 Mar 2020 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
One thing I'm finding annoying is that if you go to LinkedIn. There are a bunch of companies posting that they are doing this that and the other to fight the virus. Lots of stuff like companies claiming they built a new ventilator, or a new test, etc. etc. None of them explain if their product is actually making it out to hospitals and ACTUALLY helping people. They don't even mention if their inventions are going through approvals or trials or anything.

I think these companies are just blowing smoke up everyone's ass.
SolarCross wrote:Well that is one way to reduce social security costs, you have to be alive to collect a state pension.

They have still asked the at risk group to stay home, advocate social distancing, work at home and to stop unnecessary journeys. It is based on common sense rather than lockdown measures and as such things stay open. So now you can compare results to the rest of Europe. Although the Swedes haven't ruled out draconian measures once,or if, their healthcare gets overloaded which is rightly so.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]

A gentle tongue speaks many languages.. :lol:[…]