I love hicks - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By QatzelOk
Sivad wrote:hicks are dumb, I'm not a fan of the hick. there's really only a tiny minority who aren't mostly demented and they come from every background there is.

Hicks who self-isolate in their cars, and have their personalities bleached by commercial media are, perhaps "dumb" in some ways.

But the automobile industry and commercial media are "city slicker" technologies that have caused serious damage to all humans, both hick and hustler.

On the other hand, the hick has traditionally had a better vantage point from which to contemplate nature, although the hick's current F-150-Dodge Ram lifestyle has seriously eroded that.
By Deutschmania
I think that @QatzelOk 's feelings can be best summed up by these two songs .
As to my thoughts , I don't believe that there is just one way to be "country" . To claim otherwise would lead to the no true Scotsman fallacy . I do see some value in some aspects of the volkisch movement , and of course am against other aspects , such as anti-Semitism , and other forms of ethnocentrism . And , in addition , I happen to disagree with such things as homeopathy . Although to be fair , QatzelOK , like many people , might have been using the term in a broader , albeit incorrect way , to refer to naturopathy , more generally . Basically , I just favor the arts and crafts movement , along with the communitarian values of solidarity , and subsidiarity . And as someone who was born , and in part raised , in the woodland of Pennsylvania , I do not believe that @Victoribus Spolia altogether represents the sentiments of rural Pennsylvanians , even those whom are Republicans. In contrast to others on the right , their worldview is by and large , in my estimation , a type of " crunchy conservatism" . For instance , it is my impression that , in Georgist fashion , Pennsylvanian peasants tend to see land as not being something that one can rightly own as private property , but rather as being the domain of God whom created it . So therefore they will not be so inclined to be territorial , like if for instance someone passes through their yards , while hiking through the woods . Pennsylvania calls itself a commonwealth for a reason . I admire this down home approach to societal relations .
By Trajan
Mick Dundee, Steve Irwin and Mel Gibson are good examples of hicks. Gibson famously got into a barroom fight, cause he had to much and some stranger was giving him cheek. Hicks I find don't like strangers but are ready to treat everybody as an equal when they are no longer a stranger.
By QatzelOk
Trajan wrote:Mick Dundee, Steve Irwin and Mel Gibson are good examples of hicks. Gibson famously got into a barroom fight, cause he had to much and some stranger was giving him cheek. Hicks I find don't like strangers but are ready to treat everybody as an equal when they are no longer a stranger.

Australia seems to celebrate its hickness as much as the USA does.

But the hickness that's celebrated - like in the USA - has a commercial agenda. I demonstrates the products that hicks should buy by contrasting these objects with the products that non-hicks should buy.

Hicks, in commercial media, are just another brand that's used to add value to other non-hick brands as well.

Glen Campbell and John Denver (and Steve Irwin and Crock Dundee) made millions of dollars for their non-hick owners.
By Deutschmania
QatzelOk wrote:Australia seems to celebrate its hickness as much as the USA does.

But the hickness that's celebrated - like in the USA - has a commercial agenda. I demonstrates the products that hicks should buy by contrasting these objects with the products that non-hicks should buy.

Hicks, in commercial media, are just another brand that's used to add value to other non-hick brands as well.

Glen Campbell and John Denver (and Steve Irwin and Crock Dundee) made millions of dollars for their non-hick owners.

On top of that , commercial media has also created a contrived image of what constitutes a " hick " . Case in point , the Robertson family , of Duck Dynasty fame . https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2013/12/20/1264354/-Duck-Dynasty-is-a-Fake-Yuppies-in-Red-Neck-Drag-Con-Job
By Trajan
QatzelOk wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]