China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 113 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@Rancid I went to the Johns Hopkins map. My city has absolutely no cases at all? Is that normal? I am wondering? The Yucatan reports zero cases. Hmmm

I am trying to figure out why the entire state doesn't have any corona cases? It has tourism and people coming in and out from Mexico City? Why no cases? Some Yucatecans say the heat and humidity combo for this region is containing it? But I don't know...maybe it is in delay mode?

Check out Rancid the peninsula of Yucatan? Johns Hopkins map says no cases?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
@Tainari88, is this your govt's website?

If so, here's the latest:
COMUNICADO DE PRENSA DE LA SECRETARÍA DE SALUD DE YUCATÁN

Sábado, 4 de abril de 2020
Mérida, Yucatán, 4 de abril de 2020.-

Desde que inició la contingencia y hasta el día de hoy, sábado 4 de abril, se han detectado en Yucatán:
364 casos sospechosos.
De los cuales:
63 casos han dado positivo; 2 lamentablemente fallecieron.
63 continúan en estudio y
238 casos ya fueron descartados.
De los casos confirmados, 43 ya se recuperaron: no presentan síntomas ni pueden contagiar. 12 están estables, aislados en sus hogares, monitoreados constantemente por personal médico de la SSY; presentan síntomas leves.
7 de estos casos confirmados están hospitalizados y en aislamiento total. Entre ellos, un ciudadano británico, cuyo gobierno solicitó la ayuda humanitaria de México, y que fue diagnosticado aquí. La otra pasajera británica que dio positivo, pero presenta síntomas leves, se encuentra aislada, como marcan los protocolos, monitoreada permanentemente por personal médico del sector salud.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:@Tainari88, is this your govt's website?

If so, here's the latest:

It is talking about suspicious cases Kaiser and British patients being positive. It is strange. The measures they have taken is really strong. Nothing is open. Everyone running into a supermarket has to be ALONE and with mask, gel, handwashing and they are spraying everything down with chlorine. They are in total lockdown and it doesn't make sense that in the Johns Hopkins map? The entire region is in gray only and no red. Rumors in hospitals say there is almost no cases. I am trying to figure it out?
Tainari88 wrote:@Rancid I went to the Johns Hopkins map. My city has absolutely no cases at all? Is that normal? I am wondering? The Yucatan reports zero cases. Hmmm

I am trying to figure out why the entire state doesn't have any corona cases? It has tourism and people coming in and out from Mexico City? Why no cases? Some Yucatecans say the heat and humidity combo for this region is containing it? But I don't know...maybe it is in delay mode?

Check out Rancid the peninsula of Yucatan? Johns Hopkins map says no cases?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I certainly wouldn't know. :)

Sidenote:

What happened to the reports of people collapsing?
Tainari88 wrote:It is talking about suspicious cases Kaiser and British patients being positive.

I don't speak Spanish so had to rely on what Google translate produces which says that 63 people have tested positive, 7 are in hospital (including one British patient) and 2 have died:

PRESS RELEASE OF THE YUCATÁN SECRETARIAT OF HEALTH
Saturday, April 4, 2020
Merida, Yucatan, April 4, 2020.-
Since the contingency began and until today, Saturday, April 4, the following have been detected in Yucatan:
364 suspected cases.
Of which:
63 cases have tested positive; 2 unfortunately passed away.
63 are still under study and
238 cases have already been ruled out.
Of the confirmed cases, 43 have already recovered: they do not present symptoms nor can they spread. 12 are stable, isolated in their homes, constantly monitored by SSY medical personnel; have mild symptoms
7 of these confirmed cases are hospitalized and in total isolation. Among them, a British citizen, whose government requested humanitarian aid from Mexico, and who was diagnosed here. The other British passenger who tested positive, but shows mild symptoms, is isolated, as protocols indicate, permanently monitored by medical personnel from the health sector.

Tainari88 wrote:It is strange. The measures they have taken is really strong. Nothing is open. Everyone running into a supermarket has to be ALONE and with mask, gel, handwashing and they are spraying everything down with chlorine. They are in total lockdown and it doesn't make sense that in the Johns Hopkins map? The entire region is in gray only and no red. Rumors in hospitals say there is almost no cases. I am trying to figure it out?

They only show number of cases at the country level (except it seems for the US, Canada and China), so I'd expect the above numbers will be included in their figures for Mexico.

As far as I can tell, many developing countries have moved into partial or full lock down relatively early. In a case like this, you don't really want to wait until hospitals get many patients, much less until they feel the strain. While it's hard to say if it will be successful, nipping this in the bud early in the epidemic is definitely worth a try.
But COVID-19 is not pandemic influenza.10 The potential to contain it has not been adequately appreciated. This difference is largely a function of the biology and epidemiology of this infection. COVID-19 infection has a longer incubation period (median of 5–6 days) than influenza (1–3 days). This feature provides an opportunity for case identification and isolation and tracing and quarantining of contacts to succeed, but probably only if done swiftly and effectively.11

This is interesting, and I have to say kudos to you @Kaiserschmarrn for pursuing this angle and digging into things. This potentially changes the arithmetic. I can not make any claims to have been a canary on this, but I did become concerned about this before most people, while my sister with her high risk partner was still hoping to go on a mini break to North Italy. :) But as soon as I thought about it, I just couldn't see how smoothing the hump strategy was viable. It was going to take years if not decades to smooth the hump, at least without a substantial increase in Medical capacity.
They are going to announce the cancellation of the school year here soon . Not that anyone is surprised.

I think they should start school 3-4 weeks early next year. I remember that's what they did when I was in Miami and school was canceled due to Hurricane Andrew.

Stonks are up on news the US cases rate might be slowing down.

I feel like it's still too early. Further, we are no where near a recovery in terms of the virus or the economy, so it's ok to wait to buy in.

Article discussing why some older folks are ignoring the rules:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/older ... index.html

My parents do not fall under this group as they are taking it pretty seriously.

LOL

Apparently there's some sort of rumor saying that 5G is helping the spread
https://www.bbc.com/news/52168096

[KS note: multiple posts back to back]
B0ycey wrote:
Plenty of Brexiteers in the Tory camp. Raab for one. But he is getting the best care so don't write him off yet.

Good luck to him and all the victims in the next few months. He's a Clown but doesn't deserve this I guess.

Yea, I know. COVID-19 isn't a death sentence. I agree with the good luck sentiment to all who catch it.

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]