China's Parliament to Discuss Draft Hong Kong National Security Law - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15095625
Rugoz wrote:The EU voices "deep concerns" but does nothing. Pathetic but expected.

They're the same with Hungary too, so how would they be different with China? :lol:

Von der Leyen ‘concerned’ over Hungary virus emergency law

ImageEuropean Commission President Ursula von der Leyen holds a news conference detailing EU efforts to limit
economic impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Brussels, Belgium, 02 April 2020.
[EPA-EFE/FRANCOIS LENOIR]
#15095834
Rugoz wrote:No offense but Hungarians voted for that guy several times and are indifferent as fuck to his power grabs. Why should the EU do anything?


Because the EU has a responsibility to uphold the standards of entry. When a country like Hungary moves away from democracy and tries to subvert all the institutions under the President's hand, then the EU is obliged to kick Hungary out, until they resume their democratic institutions. Failing to do that risks the EU's own integrity.
#15095839
noemon wrote:Because the EU has a responsibility to uphold the standards of entry. When a country like Hungary moves away from democracy and tries to subvert all the institutions under the President's hand, then the EU is obliged to kick Hungary out, until they resume their democratic institutions. Failing to do that risks the EU's own integrity.


Inevitably some member states have bigger say than others (I suspect Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden and Benelux are quite powerful, in about that order) and others (say, Austria) might not have much choice but to follow the class act. If the big guys do not hold up their principles good enough they probably need to be held accountable.

In some sense, those voting Brexit probably perceive EU as having an issue on upholding their membership standards, and has failed to be held accountable. Although in that case others might question whether such an incident has happened at all.
#15095840
although in that case one might to question whether such an incident has happened at all.


It's a grey area, the question, is Hungary no longer democratic according to the EU's Treaties, is a grey matter in itself. I think once COVID-19 settles down, Brexit, Hungary and Poland are issues that should be resolved with great speed and determination.
#15095863
Rugoz wrote:No offense but Hungarians voted for that guy several times and are indifferent as fuck to his power grabs. Why should the EU do anything?

What noemon said, plus practically speaking in case of Hungary the EU could be effective, whereas feuding with China over Hong Kong would be totally futile and would only do harm to all partakers.
#15096333
Beren wrote:What noemon said, plus practically speaking in case of Hungary the EU could be effective, whereas feuding with China over Hong Kong would be totally futile and would only do harm to all partakers.


Unless Hungary violates a particular treaty, a decision to punish or kick out Hungary would have to be unanimous, to my knowledge. Hungary has an ally in Poland, so it won't happen. I guess everybody else could leave and form a new union :lol:.

The EU is China's most important trade partner. I don't think sanctions would be ineffective. Obviously not when it comes to Hong Kong, China won't back down there, not least because it would lose face doing so. But sanctions might affect China's behavior towards the next target, Taiwan.
#15096354
Rugoz wrote::lol:

Everybody knows by now that "one country, two systems" is just a temporary farce.

It was supposed to be temporary because everybody thought China would be a liberal democracy by 2050 at least. :lol:

However, the Taiwanese won't have a chance as well, so they'll have to buy as much time for their democracy as they can and it's more plausible to be somewhat autonomous in their case than it is in case of HK anyway.
#15096362
Rugoz wrote:I disagree, it's not a foregone conclusion.

Besides, I find your defeatist attitude off-putting. Must be a Hungarian thing.

It just seems to be a fact that time works for the Chinese, so it's just a trivial conclusion that it's only a matter of how and when that China will regain its territorial integrity sooner or later, which they appear to be really determined to do anyway. I take an indifferent global look at the world and that's what I happen to see and rationally expect, it's not due to Hungarian gloominess.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

His brother died of alcoholism. Alcoholics are of[…]

@wat0n Yes, the city’s dynamics differ radical[…]

Also, here's a planning framework, based on the sc[…]

Go jerk off to black people being murdered blackja[…]