Star Wars Emperor Palpatine and Donald Trump - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

This is How Liberty Dies

When I look at the political situation today in the United States I can't help but see many similarities to the story told in Star Wars of how a Republic that treasured freedom and human rights into a tyranny that respected neither. I saw Donald Trump as a threat to the American republic BEFORE he was elected as he was running his campaign to get elected as President.

I wasn't surprised that Trump won election because these are the sorts of things that happened in some other countries that collapsed into a tyranny that I learned about during my deployments overseas to places like Bosnia for example. Trump's election reminded me of this line from one of the Star Wars films when he was elected in 2016:

Emperor Palpatine and Donald Trump are/were both manipulators seeking authoritarian rule. They both trafficked in hate. They also both begin as holders of high office in a republic and then attack its institutions from within, causing a devolution into dictatorship and tyranny (there is a strong possibility this could happen if Trump is re-elected).
wat0n wrote:Nah, Trump is thankfully not as smart as Palpatine is.

Agreed. Trump is more of an ass and a blowhard, he doesn't have the attention span to make all sorts of clever secretive interconnected schemes to try to outsmart people like ie: Nixon.

Given the Floyd protests I also don't think he'd last a week if I tried to usurp power.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]