Now reading - Page 179 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Heisenberg wrote:Can anyone recommend any good books (i.e. preferably not Orientalist liberal bullshit) on Chinese history? I just realised I know almost nothing about China at all. :lol:

Edit: paging our Dear Leader @Potemkin, since he is essentially a human encyclopedia.

It's amazing how little we know about any countries in the asian continent, besides the ones the USA has gone to war with.
By Wellsy
Due to hitting a wall with some basic arithmetic(?) im now going to read and study What is Mathematics?
https://www.cimat.mx/~gil/docencia/2017/mate_elem/%5BCourant,Robbins%5DWhat_Is_Mathematics(2nd_edition_1996)v2.pdf
And already struggling with understanding precisely the formula that shows how a decimal system can be changed into another with a different base for its “10”.
I get the idea, just cant navigate it well just yet.
By Godstud
I am currently reading the science fiction novel, Iron Gold, by Pierce Brown. It is book 4 of the Red Rising series. I highly recommend them.
By colliric
Im going to attempt reading this again.

Also going to watch the 1934 French film adaptation.
By Drlee
Oh lord colliric. Isn't it enough to just watch the news from the US these days? 8)

We don't even have to crack a book to be put into the pit of despair.

Good luck though. As you know it is as good as its reputation.

Reading "Dave Barry does Japan again". His description of Kabuki is devastatingly funny.
By skinster
People in this neighbourhood leave books out for others to take and on a walk recently I found Gabor Mate's When The Body Says No and Alain de Botton's Essays in Love amongst a bunch of not very interesting books. Finished the latter and it was alright, a bit silly when he talks about Marxism as if Groucho Marx = Marxism (wtf?), but t'was interesting getting into the psychology of aspects of romantic relationships. I started the Gabor Mate book last night, seems decent, I have always liked him because he seems so sweet.

Aside from that I'm re-reading Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth and Malcolm X's autobiography.
By Pants-of-dog
I am trying an audiobook for the first time. It takes an incredibly long time to “read” since “I read it” at the pace of the voice actor who is actually reading it.

The book is Rabid by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy, a non-fiction book about rabies.
By quetzalcoatl
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am trying an audiobook for the first time. It takes an incredibly long time to “read” since “I read it” at the pace of the voice actor who is actually reading it.

I've tried audiobooks but I can't seem to adjust. I find myself being lulled by the sound of the narrator's voice and zoning out.
By Pants-of-dog
quetzalcoatl wrote:I've tried audiobooks but I can't seem to adjust. I find myself being lulled by the sound of the narrator's voice and zoning out.

Yes, I often have to re-listen to stuff for this reason. The inefficiency is annoying.
By Drlee
I enjoy audio books. I guess I am pre-zoned out.
By Potemkin
skinster wrote:Can't got into audio-books. I couldn't get into a kindle either. :hmm:

By Godstud
@Potemkin When you have a book, people know you're reading a book. When you have a tablet, people think you are playing Candy Crush. :D A book is sophisticated, you cretin! ;)

I prefer real books, for just feel, texture, and the whole dynamic. Staring at a screen isn't that appealing, either. I find it easier to read a real book, and not a Kindle or some such thing.

You also can't have a nice bookshelf full of books if you have a Kindle.
By Potemkin
Godstud wrote:@Potemkin When you have a book, people know you're reading a book. When you have a tablet, people think you are playing Candy Crush. :D A book is sophisticated, you cretin! ;)

I prefer real books, for just feel, texture, and the whole dynamic. Staring at a screen isn't that appealing, either. I find it easier to read a real book, and not a Kindle or some such thing.

You also can't have a nice bookshelf full of books if you have a Kindle.

By Godstud
:lol: I am probably younger than you. I am Gen-X!! I've got two words for you...

Suck it!!!

I actually had a tablet, at one time, but I honestly didn't like the interface. Books are sophistimicated.

My next book. 752 pages! :D
By Heisenberg
I think everyone probably prefers the physical feel of a book, but my Kindle has been a real asset since the pandemic. It's nice to be able to download ebooks from the library rather than having to buy them online.
By Godstud
I've been having all my books delivered, after buying them online. No problems.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]