“Protesters Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First.” - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The current economic crisis has revealed that the health of the finance industry and stock market are completely disconnected from the actual financial health of the American people. As inequality, unemployment and evictions climb, the Dow Jones surges right alongside them — one line compounding suffering, the other compounding returns for investors.

One reason is that an ideological coup quietly transformed our society over the last 50 years, raising the fortunes of the financial economy — and its agents like private equity firms — at the expense of the real economy experienced by most Americans. Private equity firms use money provided by institutional investors like pension funds and university endowments to take over and restructure companies or industries. In pursuit of maximum returns, such firms have squeezed businesses for every last drop of profit, cutting jobs, pensions and salaries where possible. The debt-laden buyouts privatize gains when they work, and socialize losses when they don’t.

An examination of the recent history of private equity disproves the neoliberal myth that profit incentives produce the best outcomes for society. Would-be monopolies squeezed competitors, accrued political power, lobbied for even more deregulation and ultimately drove out any rivals, leading inexorably to entrenched political power. When federally subsidized banks left low-income communities, vulture-like fringe lenders — payday, title, tax-refund lenders — filled the void. As it turns out, private equity firms are invested in some of the largest payday lenders in the country.

Neoliberal deregulation was premised on the theory that the invisible hand of the market would discipline risky banks without the need for government oversight. Even a former Fed chairman, Alan Greenspan, the most committed free market fundamentalist of the era, admitted in the understatement of the century, that “I made a mistake.” We can start fixing the big flaws propagated over the last half century by taxing the largest fortunes, breaking up large banks and imposing market rules that prohibit the predatory behaviors of private equity firms. W can move beyond the myths of neoliberalism that have led us here. We can have competitive and prosperous markets, but our focus should be on ensuring human dignity, thriving families and healthy communities. When those are in conflict, we should choose flourishing communities over profits.
Let them eat cake, she said.

In my area, housing prices are skyrocketing. The developers make money from it, the banks and mortgage lenders make money from it. These entities lobby the politicians so they don't fix it. The homebuyer loses. The lots get smaller, everyone is rammed on top of each other, everyone in debt up to their eyeballs.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Let them eat cake, she said.

In my area, housing prices are skyrocketing. The developers make money from it, the banks and mortgage lenders make money from it. These entities lobby the politicians so they don't fix it. The homebuyer loses. The lots get smaller, everyone is rammed on top of each other, everyone in debt up to their eyeballs.

You don't like it? Move..... or perhaps vote for Republicans as skyrocketing prices happen in Democratic cities for most part. Since they are more corrupt, and
get side deals with developers and chinese investors...
Oxymoron wrote:You don't like it? Move..... or perhaps vote for Republicans as skyrocketing prices happen in Democratic cities for most part. Since they are more corrupt, and
get side deals with developers and chinese investors...

What a ridiculous post. GOP and Democrats are horseshit parties. Pitting one as better than the other is for the blind.
@Oxymoron

I think Democrat areas are more expensive (mainly the housing costs) because nothing is free and somehow, someway you to have pay extra for the better quality of life you get. If you can't afford the cost of a better quality of life that democrat areas offer, well you simply have to move to the Republican areas where the quality of life is lower but housing costs are cheaper. You get what you pay for. One way or another you pay for the higher quality of life that many Democrat areas offer and it seems that price comes in the form of higher housing costs and taxes in those areas.

One also mentioned the homeless problem in Democrat areas and I do think there is truth in the fact that Republican areas have a housing problem too though not as bad in Democrat areas and simply use the police to chase away the homeless people. That and housing costs are cheaper. I have lived in both Democrat and Republican areas and can say for sure that police are used to chase away the homeless in Republican areas. I cannot say for sure if that is case in Democrat areas given I never knew any police officers who worked in Democrat areas.

But in my view, you have to be wealthier to live in Democrat areas to afford the higher housing costs, but if you are wealthier then the probability that you are better educated is much higher too given that good education and wealth go hand in hand. Education costs a lot of money in the U.S. and it's thus the wealthy that can afford it or those who understand how the business of college works are able to find good bargains for their money when it comes to paying for college and getting a good value in return. Even then, it's still not cheap. It also requires some knowledge of the business of college which again it's mostly the wealthy that have that knowledge. They use this knowledge to their advantage depending on where they can afford to go to college and compare the value and connections those colleges provide in return.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Oxymoron

I think Democrat areas are more expensive (mainly the housing costs) because nothing is free and somehow, someway you to have pay extra for the better quality of life you get. If you can't afford the cost of a better quality of life that democrat areas offer, well you simply have to move to the Republican areas where the quality of life is lower but housing costs are cheaper. You get what you pay for. One way or another you pay for the higher quality of life that many Democrat areas offer and it seems that price comes in the form of higher housing costs and taxes in those areas.

Not really true, there are many cities that offer the same life quality, with arts, music, museums and food for a fraction of what it costs in those areas. No its not so simple as that, it is more nefarious.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Congratulations on winning the first annual Queztacoatl Thread Title Of The Year Award. Your service to humanity shall not be forgotten.

I am truly humbled ………… how much money do I get? ………..

Unthinking Majority wrote:In my area, housing prices are skyrocketing. The developers make money from it, the banks and mortgage lenders make money from it

This is probably not appropriate for you but is how this old man (75) solved that problem. 33 years ago I purchased a 2 family house in a "working class neighborhood" in Portland, Maine. The basics at the time looked good. On top of a hill a 10 minute walk from the ocean. We were "discovered" about 8 years ago. Houses in my neighborhood are now being plowed under and carted away and replaced by large box like structures containing condos "from" $1,500,000. I live for free right in the middle of this. FOR FREE :eek: . My house was built in 1899 and my tenant pays rent which pays all the property expenses.

Look for an under valued area with good location type basics. Wait for the next Republican instigated recession/depression and buy during the "dip". Then ………… stay put for a long time. Moving around a lot is expensive in many ways ….. not being able to take advantage of long range trends is one of them. Likely the most expensive and least noticed.

Also ……. pay off the mortgage asap. I HATE paying interest.
Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]