Election 2020 - Page 147 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Beren
I actually don't see how the GOP means to adapt to the 21st century, do they really mean to do it with Trump? It's not just Trump, though, the congressional GOP are shit too if you're not ultra-conservative, don't care about your tax cuts only even at the expense of running the country on massive deficit spending, or happen to be a fan of affordable (and efficient) healthcare and even support the idea of a decent minimum wage.
By XogGyux
Beren wrote:I actually don't see how the GOP means to adapt to the 21st century, do they really mean to do it with Trump? It's not just Trump, though, the congressional GOP are shit too if you're not ultra-conservative, don't care about your tax cuts only even at the expense of running the country on massive deficit spending, or happen to be a fan of affordable (and efficient) healthcare and even support the idea of a decent minimum wage.

So far it seems the strategy is that of intimidation, fear-mongering, gerrymandering, cheating, colluding, etc. And they have to... young people are on average more liberal and progressive and that is an expanding demographic group, another expanding demographic group is Hispanics and that's another that the republicans keep alienating. The traditional "republican" voter was the old dude, old dudes are a shrinking demographic, due to the laws of natures, they tend to die.
Mathematically, without some degree of cheating and manipulation, there is no way that the republican party could be competitive over the next couple of decades without major shift in their policies.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:We are in a deep recession. Some say a depression and it is going to get worse. The unemployment rate is higher than it has been in 75 years because Trump did nothing to work to ameliorate the effects of the pandemic. Instead of doing anything about either the economy or the pandemic, Trump is tweeting about dead confederates. His Vice President, Mrs. Pence is flying around doing the most nothing possible. And you Mr. @Hindsite are afraid the democrats with fuck up the economy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The economy was better than it had ever been until China released their most recent virus on the world. Our best chance at bringing the economy back to greatness is to reelect Trump for another four years and get rid of some crazy Democrats.
Beren wrote:Although I'd be a white middle-aged middle-class American male, if I lived in the USA, so the GOP should be my natural choice, I wonder if how I could vote for them, I could only imagine white trash voting for them as they're now.

You have a poor imagination. :lol:
By blackjack21
Drlee wrote:And you Mr. @Hindsite are afraid the democrats with fuck up the economy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The economy is in the tank mostly because of lockdowns by blue state governors. Yes, I know you are going to disagree with this assertion, but start thinking long-term--beyond the election. Trump's big harm to the economy is the travel ban. Interest rates are zero, the Fed is buying everything, and Congress has passed a major stimulus package. Yes, rioters are coming down with coronavirus in big numbers now, but that's to be expected since they threw social distancing out the window.

This recession is going to have big long-term impacts, because a lot of people who can work remote will demand to work remote now. You've lived in the Bay Area. They opened a new BART station in my area a few years ago and the first thing that happened was the parking lot was jam packed. Even with people going back to work now, that parking lot is largely empty now--like less than 20% of capacity. BART could be in very serious trouble. BART Outlook Gloomy, Even Beyond Coronavirus Fallout.

Despite $250M in stimulus funds, the transit agency says it's looking at $40M revenue loss by year's end

Give some long thought to what this means to blue model. Walter Russell Mead has some good articles at the WSJ on this. I'm a Barron's subscriber, but not a WSJ subscriber. He's been talking about the problems with the blue model for almost a decade now as the fallout from 2008 hit. For example: The Once and Future Liberalism from 2012, but it is still spot on.

California jacked up the gas tax again this year. Do you know what happens when people decide to continue working from home? Government coffers dry up.

With state and federal taxes, gas taxes in California amount to $0.61 per gallon. Painful. Yet, revenues are way down.

Additionally, businesses will need a fraction of the office space they used to need in urban downtowns. Our building has been boarded up since the pandemic started--an 18-story office tower that was jam packed, and we thought we'd need more office space. However, 1/3 of our employees already worked remote, and now that is 99% of the company. When a company realizes it doesn't need that much office space, do you think they are just going to go back to the old way of doing things? I really don't think so. In San Francisco, residential rents are falling. Why? Because people can work at home, so they don't need to live in San Francisco and pay $4k a month rent. People are breaking their leases and fleeing the city.

Yes, I know you hate Trump and like the Democrats, but there are going to be major long-term consequences for the way blue state governors and urban mayors (mostly Democrats) have handled the pandemic. Whereas, I got fucked in the last recession, I'm absolutely golden right now. I'm considering moving out of California too. I'd easily save $20k a year in taxes. I hear the same thing is happening in New York. What happens when the high earners decide to leave?

Now anecdotally, there are spots of the economy booming. I bought a jetski as a complement to the house boat, and so my buddies kids could have a bit more fun. I took it in for its 10-hour service. You know what the wait is? Three weeks! That's the backlog! It was getting busy when I got my ski, but I worked a deal on a 2019 model that was sitting in the warehouse. Now? There is no inventory. They literally sold out of every jetski within a month of me buying one. Apparently, this is happening with RVs and boats too. People aren't going to Hawaii or the Bahamas this year, so everyone is buying boats, jetskis and RVs and vacationing nearby. You may feel slighted by the EU's travel ban, but it's a boon to travel destinations within the lower 48.

Walter Russell Mead wrote:The blue social model rested on a novel post-World War II industrial and economic system. The “commanding heights” of American business were controlled by a small number of sometimes monopolistic, usually oligopolistic firms. AT&T, for example, was the only serious telephone company in the country, and both the services it offered and the prices it charged were tightly regulated by the government. The Big Three automakers had a lock on the car market; in the halcyon days of the blue model there was virtually no foreign competition. A handful of airlines divided up the routes and the market; airlines could not compete by offering lower prices or by opening new routes without government permission. Banks, utilities, insurance companies and trucking companies had their rates and, essentially, their profit levels set by Federal regulators. This stable economic structure allowed a consistent division of the pie. Unionized workers, then a far larger percentage of laborers than is the case today, got steady raises in steady jobs. The government got a steady flow of tax revenues. Shareholders got reasonably steady dividends.

You're old enough to remember that. I'm old enough to remember the end of it. Tainari88 says things like you just can't cut off world trade. Look what has happened with the airlines. Yes. We actually could. Think of how many car companies Germany and Japan have? They cannot possibly sustain that without an export market. Yet, Mitsubishi is leaving the US market this year. They can't hack it. There is simply way too much competition--way too many Japanese auto manufacturers. Yet, they simply couldn't exist without the US open market. We didn't see much in the way of Japanese cars until the energy shortage of the 1970s. Yet, then they became dominant.

There are going to be big changes coming, and I think one of them is going to be that blue states are going to have to slash staff and budgets.

Gov. Cuomo's Right: The Rich Are Leaving High-Tax New York
We don't often praise New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, but we have to say, we appreciate his recent frankness on taxes.

On Monday, he told his state's citizens that income tax revenues were coming in $2.3 billion below the expectations of just a month ago. "That's as serious as a heart attack," he said.

Now, I'm a big believer in Say's Law. Supply creates its own demand. A glut of class A office space in big cities will eventually lead to new location-dependent businesses. However, we'll be in for a painful transition in the interim.

Joe Biden will not be able to fix anything. A Biden presidency will be much like you thought Trump's would be. He won't be running a thing. He is basically the neoliberal/neoconservative package, and they chose him because they know they can run things with Biden at the helm. They simply didn't trust any of the other candidates. It doesn't matter though either way. Stimulus will ease some of the pain, but the only thing the establishment has to offer is more government spending. It doesn't matter which party wins. That's what they will provide. What's going to be interesting is the economic dislocations, and I think that the big cities--particularly in blue states: San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago--are in for a reckoning.

There's a reason so many people are moving to Tennessee.

2020’s Tax Burden by State

Beren wrote:I actually don't see how the GOP means to adapt to the 21st century, do they really mean to do it with Trump?

Trump isn't the future as such, but he highlights what is wrong with the establishment.
By Drlee
The economy is in the tank mostly because of lockdowns by blue state governors.

Should have stopped reading here.

The solution had to be a national one with replacement wages. The republicans utterly failed. It is preposterous to blame governors. Blue or red.

Biden is left with few tools. What will determine the outcome is how bad the epidemic becomes. We are in for a fucked up ride and Biden will do quite a bit better than Trump.
By jimjam
Does this guy look like a real Man Of The People ….. or what! Yessireee he's looking out for the little guy … :lol:

ps. Gotta LOVE the flags ……...

By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:The solution had to be a national one with replacement wages.

That is as looney as AOC's Green New Deal.

Drlee wrote:Biden is left with few tools.

Dementia and hair sniffing.
Drlee wrote: We are in for a fucked up ride and Biden will do quite a bit better than Trump.

Biden will definitely be better at fucking it up. His main task will be remembering where he is. :lol:

“Creepy Joe Biden” bragged about letting children stroke his leg hair and jump on his lap when he was a lifeguard and is a known serial plagiarizing groper with a dysfunctional brain that's consistently out of synch with reality.
Last edited by Hindsite on 06 Jul 2020 05:45, edited 2 times in total.
By jimjam
America is reeling from a plague and a depression and high on trump's list of priorities is a plan to erect a statue of Antonin Scalia. (No offense to Judge Scalia ….. he is just a pawn in the TRUMP SHOW)
By Beren
Hindsite wrote:You have a poor imagination. :lol:

Truth is stranger than fiction, especially in America, isn't it?

However, Trump gets some help in a crucial swing state, it seems.

Brain-eating amoeba: Warning issued in Florida after rare infection case

BBC wrote:Infections are typically seen in southern US states.

That explains a lot. :lol:

blackjack21 wrote:Trump isn't the future as such

I'm glad to hear that the late 20th century isn't your future.

By Wellsy
Drlee wrote:We are in a deep recession. Some say a depression and it is going to get worse. The unemployment rate is higher than it has been in 75 years because Trump did nothing to work to ameliorate the effects of the pandemic. Instead of doing anything about either the economy or the pandemic, Trump is tweeting about dead confederates. His Vice President, Mrs. Pence is flying around doing the most nothing possible. And you Mr. @Hindsite are afraid the democrats with fuck up the economy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems like the covid pandemic was at one of the worst times for the global economy as it seemed we might’ve been heading to recession anyway without this shitshow making it worse.
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2020/05/17/profitability-investment-and-the-pandemic/
By jimjam
WHITE POWER ….. TRUMP 2020 ….. WHITE POWER

By blackjack21
Drlee wrote:It is preposterous to blame governors. Blue or red.

It's one thing to make that case on a public BB, but people appear to be voting with their feet.

Americans leave large cities for suburban areas and rural towns
A combination of the coronavirus pandemic, economic uncertainty, and social unrest is prompting waves of Americans to move from large cities and permanently relocate to more sparsely populated areas. The trend has been accelerated by technology and shifting attitudes that make it easier than ever to work remotely. Residents of all ages and incomes are moving in record numbers to suburban areas and small towns.

Handwriting is on the wall...

A perfect storm of factors makes the decision to leave major cities like New York very obvious. The dense nature of urban living and the lack of proper local government planning led to the coronavirus spreading five times faster in New York than the rest of the country. The city that never sleeps now resembles a ghost town in many areas after thousands of its wealthy and middle-class residents fled early in the pandemic.

The longer they stay out of the city, the lower their tax burden and the more money they will have. Some will undoubtedly return to the Upper East Side, but until NYC is safe again, I think they are going to be in serious trouble. If Cuomo is already seeing that at the state level, NYC will cut the police budget not because it wants to, but because it has to.

While real estate sales are down in San Francisco, where prices are falling by more than 50 percent, demand in its suburbs has been soaring, where prices are rising by almost 10 percent.

This is exactly what I'm seeing. It's a blue city nightmare. Think of how many people will be underwater on their mortgages in big cities.

Nightmare in New York: How Covid-19, BLM protests and a liberal mayor are turning the city into a no-go zone as murders skyrocket, shops are looted and 500,000 middle-class residents flee
Murder figures have skyrocketed and a combination of the coronavirus pandemic, Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests and weak political leadership is in danger of achieving what Osama Bin Laden never could: bringing the Big Apple to its knees.

The number of shooting victims has gone up 51 per cent to 616 this year. In June alone, there were 250 shootings compared to 97 in the same month last year. Month-on-month, burglaries are up 119 per cent and car thefts up 48 per cent.

Many blame New York’s liberal mayor, Bill de Blasio, who has slashed police funding by $1 billion (£800 million), ended the NYPD’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy (which allowed police to stop and search anyone solely on the basis of ‘reasonable suspicion’) and who last week vowed to paint a huge Black Lives Matter sign outside President Trump’s flagship Trump Tower.

The Democrats have basically lost their minds. If that many people are voting with their feet, they aren't going to be voting for more of the same in blue America. It's frankly dangerous and far too expensive.

Drlee wrote:What will determine the outcome is how bad the epidemic becomes.

There's perception, and there's reality. CDC: After 10-Week Decline In COVID-19 Deaths, It May Soon No Longer Be An Epidemic. The young just don't care anymore. So basically the elderly and people with chronic conditions have to take precautions. What appears to be happening is the population is developing herd immunity. The CDC defines pandemics and epidemics in part by the number of deaths. As deaths decline, they may be calling an end to it.

The United States now has so few deaths due to COVID-19 that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Friday it is approaching the threshold for dipping below the level of an epidemic.

The CDC defines an epidemic as an outbreak from which the number of deaths per week exceeds a given percentage of total deaths within the nation. The number of deaths from COVID-19 has steadily declined since hitting its peak in early May after it began spiking in the second week in March.

I'm guessing you won't be welcoming that news.

Hindsite wrote:That is as looney as AOC's Green New Deal.

It's not going to happen. The political will just isn't there. The Democrats have turned their states into rioting mobs, while they want to impose fines on people not wearing masks if they aren't rioting. It frankly doesn't make any sense anymore.

Beren wrote:I'm glad to hear that the late 20th century isn't your future.

Not the real thing, but I think they should have kept 20th Century Fox.

Wellsy wrote:It seems like the covid pandemic was at one of the worst times for the global economy as it seemed we might’ve been heading to recession anyway without this shitshow making it worse.

Or one of the best times depending on your perspective. The government has just spent another trillion willy nilly and the stock market is back up.

jimjam wrote:WHITE POWER ….. TRUMP 2020 ….. WHITE POWER

Losing your marbles are you? The Republican governor of Mississippi just signed a law getting rid of the stars and bars. No longer will a Democrat symbol be the state flag.
By jimjam
“Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our founders, deface our most sacred memorials, and unleash a wave of violent crime in our cities.”

Sez the guy who, in violation of those founders' First Amendment, unleashed riot cops with pepper spray and truncheons and military helicopters to violently clear peaceful, unarmed demonstrators from a public square in DC so he could proudly hoist a borrowed bible upside-down in a photo op on church steps.
By Hindsite
jimjam wrote:“Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our founders, deface our most sacred memorials, and unleash a wave of violent crime in our cities.”

Sez the guy who, in violation of those founders' First Amendment, unleashed riot cops with pepper spray and truncheons and military helicopters to violently clear peaceful, unarmed demonstrators from a public square in DC so he could proudly hoist a borrowed bible upside-down in a photo op on church steps.

That was fake news. I have already debunked that claim.
By blackjack21
jimjam wrote:in a photo op on church steps.

... of the church these peaceful, unarmed protesters tried to burn down and defaced the statue of Andrew Jackson ... :roll:
By Wellsy
@blackjack21
The stock market is not the economy though. I wouldn’t use it as a metric of how great things are going.
Which is why in the blog the person uses metrics As a peoxy to the tendency of profit to fall Globally instead of trends on the stock market.
At most the wealthy stock market traders observe or have someone observe the economy to make decisions about their stocks. But stocks can go up as it sucks for the average worker in some industry.
By Doug64
And the Left makes a huge in kind contribution to the Trump campaign:

Violence sweeps U.S. as 'systemic liberalism' handcuffs police

Gunfire and carnage are sweeping across America’s streets.

At least six children ages 6 to 14 died in a spate of shootings over the past five days, as the level of gun violence and murder surpassed the deadly total at the same time last year.

Chicago reported 87 shootings and 17 fatalities from Thursday evening through Sunday night. At least 13 of the shooting victims were under 14 years old.

New York suffered 44 shootings and 11 deaths from gun violence from Friday through Sunday.

Philadelphia reported 31 shootings and seven deaths from gun violence.

Atlanta reported 23 shootings and the death of an 8-year-old girl, who was killed while riding in a car with her mother when they passed an illegal roadblock by a mob of protesters.

Law enforcement professionals say the eruption of violence is a perfect storm of animosity toward the police and liberal criminal justice reform policies that have put violent offenders back on the streets and hamstrung police departments.

The police departments insist they have not ordered officers to stand down in the face of racial justice protests. But police, whether by order or for fear of prosecution for use of force, appeared to take a hands-off approach amid the growing violence.

In Baltimore, police did not intervene when a mob on Saturday toppled a prominent statue of Christopher Columbus and tossed it into the Inner Harbor.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison on Monday said officers held back because “it was tactically unsafe.”

“As the Baltimore Police Department was responding to several life and death incidents across the city, a small number of officers were assigned to assist with peaceful protests taking place in the downtown area,” he said in a statement. “As the number of protesters grew, it was tactically unsafe for those few officers to position themselves between the protesters and the Christopher Columbus Statue in an attempt to prevent vandalism and destruction.”

Dean Esserman, senior counsel for the National Police Foundation, said police are not engaging lawbreakers because of confusion about their role amid calls to overhaul policing.

“I don’t hear that police are standing down, but they are not getting orders and hesitant to act on their own, which is a natural reaction to what is going on these days,” he said.

Baltimore’s life and death incidents over the holiday weekend included at least a dozen shootings that resulted in one death.

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry blames the unchecked violence on Democratic leaders who dominate nearly every large city in the U.S., which also are ground zero for the onslaught of killings.

“Not all of America is dangerous right now. If you go out and look at smaller cities where there is rule of law and holding people accountable, they are safe,” Mr. Landry, a Republican, told The Washington Times. “Big cities with large populations are dangerous right now because of systemic liberalism.”

New bail policies implemented in Atlanta, New York and Philadelphia have resulted in hundreds of individuals arrested on low-level crimes almost immediately returning to the streets. Once free, those criminals have become more brazen, experts said.

“There are some in this country who believe no one should be held behind bars absent an actual conviction because of the presumption of innocence. And that mindset is starting to permeate a lot of jurisdictions where people who have a history of being violent and dangerous are being arrested again on murder or attempted murder charges,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.

Changes to bail laws have been instituted in each of the cities that were wracked with violence over the weekend.

New York state lawmakers last year reduced the number of crimes for which offenders could be held on bail, which eliminated bail for 90% of the state’s arrests.

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner announced last year his office will no longer seek bail for offenses that account for 61% of all cases in the city’s criminal justice system.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms in 2018 signed an ordinance that eliminated bail for lower-level offenders.

Experts say enforcing low-level offenses can prevent more serious crimes, a theory known as “Broken Windows” policing. The Broken Windows policy was credited with lowering New York city’s crime rate in the late 1990s.

Critics have charged the practice has resulted in aggressive over-policing of minorities and overburdens the criminal justice system with small, quality of life crimes.

Mr. Landry, however, counters that the success of the Broken Windows theory speaks for itself.

The spike in violence doesn’t surprise law enforcement, Mr. Acevedo said, noting officers have been tracking the increase in violent crime since the bail changes were implemented. He says murders in his town are up 34% through this year.
    And Houston isn’t the only city where the murder rate is rising. Philadelphia is on pace to have its highest murder rate since 2007, and New York’s 2020 murder rate through June is 25% higher than it was during the same period last year, according to statistics from both police departments.

“We’ve been sounding the alarm for probably two years now, but people don’t seem to be paying attention,” he said. “The country has been focused on the coronavirus pandemic and no one was paying attention and, in the meantime, we are losing Americans to gun violence and violent crime.”

The issue is greater than the new bail policies, however. Officials say calls to the defund the police have left officers across the country tepid on confronting lawbreakers for fear of excessive force accusations.

Many of the Democrat-led cities are pushing on plans to slash funding for police departments amid ongoing protests over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man who died in the custody of four White police officers in Minneapolis on Memorial Day.

“I think police are demoralized,” said Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr. “Protesters are throwing rocks and stones at them, politicians are undercutting their ability to do their jobs.”

Mr. Acevedo said complaints about community violence from the same politicians decrying the police with broad accusations of brutality creates a double-edged sword for officers.

“You can’t complain about police brutality on one hand and on the other hand complain about more people being shot in a neighborhood in one weekend than all the use of excessive force complaints combined,” Mr. Acevedo said. “They had something like 80 shootings in Chicago this weekend. I don’t think they’ve had 60 officer-involved shootings in Chicago this year.”

Last year, 76 people were fatally shot by the Chicago Police Department, according to the most recent statistics from Mapping Police Violence, a group that tracks police shootings across the country.

Officials say it is not clear when the violence will abate.

“If people are unwilling to throw their mayors out of office and get rid of city councilmen who want to defund the police, there is absolutely nothing you can do,” Mr. Landry said. “There is no magic bullet. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel, you just have to enforce the law.”

Ultimately, he said, the violence will end when those communities get fed up.

“There is going to be a tipping point,” Mr. Landry said. “Violent crime doesn’t affect one victim, it affects multiple victims. If your brother gets shot and killed, your parents become the victim. You become the victim. Violent crime has the potential to create exponential victims every time it rises.”

Mr. Carr was more optimistic.

“I am hopeful the temperature can be turned down,” he said. “We have to uphold the law. If people know laws are being enforced and those engaged in lawlessness are held accountable, they will feel comfortable.”
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:... of the church these peaceful, unarmed protesters tried to burn down and defaced the statue of Andrew Jackson ... :roll:

way to go man...… straight out of the best propaganda operation since Goebbels. Rush Limberg. I'm just going from memory here so, at this stage of the game, you may "get" me on a detail. It seems there was a small basement fire the night before of unknown origin that was quickly dosed. Don't worry #21 … the howling Commie mobs aren't coming for your money.

You do better with your fact based observations than you do with Rush Limberg targeted for morons regurgitations.
By Drlee
@Doug64 Posted a partisan hit peace that began:

Gunfire and carnage are sweeping across America’s streets.

Stopped reading there. Why do you post this bullshit Doug? Do you really believe this garbage?

Worse. Do you think you are convincing anyone? You may get a thumbs up from Trumps unintelligent followers but that should not make you feel better. Your boy Trump is still down double digits in the polls but he, at least, has your vote. :roll:
By jimjam
trump declared himself a wartime president fighting an invisible lethal enemy. The Virus. And then he immediately surrendered to the enemy. Fifty Governors were put in charge to fight fifty separate wars. As Churchill declared the first casualty of war is truth. trump very easily promoted the theory that the virus was under control.It would magically go away. And currently almost 100% of the new cases are harmless.Clearly no need for masks. And POTUS will not wear one. His belief that wearing a mask would make him look silly, or mess up his makeup, has surely played a role. But it’s also true that masks remind people that we haven’t controlled the coronavirus and Trump wants people to forget that awkward fact. And why this theatre of the absurd? To get trump four more years.The price? Just thousands of unnecessary American deaths.

No, Rancid, I think a lot of the people who voted[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]

I think we really have to ask ourselves what t[…]