Describe your religious beliefs please - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
#15098819
Hindsite wrote:Since I am Protestant I will not disagree with that. At least he is not the 666 Antichrist beast of the Apocalypse.
Yeah, That's Trump. :p


Donald and Damien both have 6 letters in them. :eek: They both start with a 'D', too.

Image
#15098905
I am a gnostic apatheist.

I think we can know god personally, and then find out that god is so beyond us that it does not matter what our relationship to god is, and there is no way she could care about us in any meaningful way.
#15099390
Godstud wrote:Yeah, That's Trump. :p


Donald and Damien both have 6 letters in them. :eek: They both start with a 'D', too.

Image

Yeah... that's proof he's the Antichrist! :lol:

Funny you mention the letter D though. It's my favorite letter after M. I place an N inside every capital D when I write. It's for "Denise Naslund". Her name is 6 letters too, and Denise means "Greek God of wine, intoxication, religious extacy, ritual madness, and sexuality."

Her "find a grave# ID # begins with 666 and my Dorothy day ID ends in 666. I pray to her like she is Goddess of wine, intoxication, religious extacy, and sexuality.
Maybe she is the patron spirit friend of the Antichrist. Maybe I am an Antichrist or destined to be one. :muha1:

There is more than one Antichrist.
#15105898
Since religions definition is this : "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Then I'm orthodox Christian.
But the problem is, i used to be atheist for some time. Because of personal experiences, I made thoughts that led me to conclude there simply is no god. But some years later, after more experience, realising some realities and growing up, I decided that I want to become an orthodox Christian not because I was baptised like that, but because I want to be one.

You see I am not the kind of people who believe Ina religion just because they are afraid of the unknown after death or they just don't want to accept that there is a great possibility that we indeed are only thinking dust and water and nothing happens when we die.
I have realised and understood those things and I have embraced and accepted them.
But at the same time I thought, that by the same way of thinking , there is also a great chance that God exists and he indeed has sent his son down here.
I mean why does the universe was created after an explosion happened because everything were squashed into a little ball the size of a pin sound logical, convincing and scientifical but that a guy who did miracles and was the messenger and son of God to humanity sounds like a fairytale? Afterall his lessons don't say nothing more than just DON'T BE A DICK and CONTROL YOURSELF . The same values ancient Greek philosophers also promoted (not random that Greeks were the first people's to mass convert to Christianity in just a few decades)

But still, I'm not a religious man. Mainly because although I am Christian because I agree with jesus and orthodox because I am proud to be Greek and my heritage. Still I'm not truly in favour of the way churches operate.
Churches are sinful organisations in my opinion. They just another disgrace of human nature, they took something so holy and sacred like religion, and they use it to gain control and influence over people. Thus yes I'm 100% Christian orthodox but at the same time I'm not in favour of my church at all (minor clerics and bishops who truly believe in the faith are excluded from this, because they truly are helpful to humanity ).
#15105902
And I am relaly disgusted by "Christians" who show off that they are Christians by using phrases and saying publicly stuff just to show off the are Christian.

Jesus said he loves me the most who loves me in secret. And he denounced all those people who show off, because they aren't true believers, they are just people with insecurities and complexes. Very disgusting, because it's insulting to jesus and his teachings . And probably by saying this I just became one of them lol, but I don't care because I'm very comfortable since years with the idea I'll end up in hell :lol: :excited:
#15105903
Last thing I want to add, is that I really appreciate people who truly believe in any faith, no matter what that faith is. Because those people are sure to have some sort of ethics, morals and internal integrity (without that meaning they are good persons).
Always judging from my own self, I would never trust an atheist. Because their mind is chaotic and very unreasonable usually (without that being the rule), /or they are going through very tough times in their life, thus again can't trust their mental integrity.
But if I don't trust an atheist times one, then I for sure do not trust a fake believer times ten, they worse than atheists, because at least the atheists have the honesty and balls to accept that they believe in nothing.
#15105922
Faith is a belief without proof. Do you also respect conspiracy theorists?

Hellas me ponas wrote:Always judging from my own self, I would never trust an atheist. Because their mind is chaotic and very unreasonable usually (without that being the rule), /or they are going through very tough times in their life, thus again can't trust their mental integrity.
:roll: You are judging only from your own personal experience and don't take into account that other people are not like yourself.

"I saw a Christian kick a dog. Therefore all Christians must kick dogs." That's the same reasoning that you use. That's quite a logical fallacy.

I was a Christian, but have been an agnostic atheist for about 30 years, now. I am neither young, chaotic, nor going thru a tough time. My mental integrity likely surpasses your own. I'd likely be mistaken for a good Christian, if you didn't ask me what my religion was. I strive to be a good person, and I don't need religion to do that for me.

But if I don't trust an atheist times one, then I for sure do not trust a fake believer times ten, they worse than atheists, because at least the atheists have the honesty and balls to accept that they believe in nothing. It sounds as though you don't trust anyone.
:lol: Lots of people lie to themselves to make themselves feel better. Religion is a lie, and you are probably doing the same. It sounds like you trust no one. :roll:
#15105926
@Godstud
Yes you're right I shouldn't judge rest atheist because of my personal experiences, my mistake.
I agree that religion is just guesses by humans on the question where from? Where to? Why?
But again, with the same logic you believe world was created by a huge a explosion I choose to believe world was created by a god.
And unlike you I don't completely deny the opposite. I said its very likely my religion is wrong and that nothing happens when we die. And having this in my mind I choose to believe.
Thus why do you claim my beliefs are lie?
Isn't that absolutist and arrogant?
I don't claim that my beliefs are tottaly the truth,I always" leave a window open ", but I also didn't claim that your beliefs are lies instead I said everything could be a possibility.
You claim your mental integrity is probably better than mine, yet you're 30 years an atheist saying youd be thought for good Christian but you just insulted my beliefs without noticing it.

I don't mind if you don't have my beliefs, I'm not a preacher, neither do I want to convince you that your beliefs are lies.
Thus please when we discuss if you have the kindness to do so, I would really appreciate if you respected me the way I respect you.
#15105929
@Godstud I'd likely be mistaken for a good Christian, if you didn't ask me what my religion was.


Then you very likely are one. 8)

At least as Jesus saw it.
#15105932
Hellas me ponas wrote:But again, with the same logic you believe world was created by a huge a explosion I choose to believe world was created by a god.
Science does not say that this wasn't caused by "God". It's unprovable so beyond the realm of science. It in no way detracts from your beliefs.

Hellas me ponas wrote:And unlike you I don't completely deny the opposite.
I think it is highly improbably and unprovable. I leave the possibility of myself being wrong, but have yet to see evidence proving otherwise. I "leave the window open", too.

Hellas me ponas wrote:Thus why do you claim my beliefs are lie?
Many people lie to themselves, to make themselves feel better. If you can't prove the existence of something, aren't you lying to yourself just a little bit? I am just thinking out loud, so don't take this too seriously.

Hellas me ponas wrote:Isn't that absolutist and arrogant?
Maybe... It's just an opinion. I often feel that religion is there for people who need a crutch. I am not saying it's bad, either.

I respect everyone by what they say and do, regardless of religion. I live among Buddhists and strangely enough, you'd not know their religion unless you asked them. Their actions appear no different than those of Christians nd Muslims whom I have worked and lived alongside.

@Drlee Thank you for the compliment. :D
#15105936
Okay thank you for bothering to explaining yourself pal :)
It's true that many people like to lie to themselves and live in lie, that's why I became atheist in first place, I didn't want to live in a lie, I preferred the truth. Although it's quite sad and harsh.And I guess you're kind of right though, if I want to be honest I turned back to religion again after some personal experience merely because I wanted to have something positive and give me hope to believe. Christianity and jesus teachings helped me a lot staying sane through past years experiences. And thus now it feels weird to stop believing again. Because it feels like I was taking advantage of the belief. I'm not talking about the way of life, no matter wehter I believe or not I still try to be good human according to Christian standards. But I'm just not so sure about my faith.
And I'm confused because on the one hand I know it s very probable this is all just made up, but on the other hand am I not being a bad human by "using" religion like thst?
I don't know.
Well lately I've started going to church again. But maybe it's because I have those insecurities about my faith and I'm trying to prove myself something I still don't understand.

Am I considered atheist or Christian? I mean I do think there is a chance God is real, but I am not sure about it.
#15105937
You sound pretty normal. Most people are not absolute in their belief of anything. A healthy bit of skepticism is good for you, I think. :D

We all want something that gives us hope and love. We find that in different ways, depending on the individual, though.
#15105939
How do you find it?
I mean you're not some kind of 20 yo communist college kiddo who thinks he knows everything.
You said you've been atheist 30 years which means you're old (no offense btw lol), thus your experiences and advices are valuable.
I'd really appreciate if you d explain me how?
I mean you don't sound like the classic arrogant cocky scientist atheist.
#15105959
Can an irreligious person have religious beliefs?

At any rate, I believe that the phenomenal world arises from its substrate of Universal Mind. The physical world is not "illusory" - but it doesn't have an independent reality from Universal Mind. (An analogy is that biological life is real, but does not exist independently of atoms and molecules.) I also suppose individual consciousness is somehow related to Universal Mind - it does not die but is subsumed into Universal Mind after its temporary physical home dissolves.

Our county health department has made a call for 2[…]

The End of Lukashenko is near.

And what will that achieve? Increasing Western in[…]

I hope it's real, and it works.

Depends where you live to be honest. In Russia yo[…]