Does Palantir See Too Much? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Does Palantir See Too Much?

I think Palantir will greatly improve society in the years to come.
50%
I'm looking forward to Palantir playing a greater role in administrative affairs.
No votes
0%
I hope Palantir develops greater and faster ways of decoding and decrypting data.
50%
The problem with knowledge is that we can only ever know both too much and too little at the same time. This is how Saruman became corrupted, and how Denethor was driven to madness.
That was a long read and by the end of it I couldn’t really answer the headlines question. It sounds like all those other IT fit outs with their mass aggregation abilities.

They have a unique narrative which is cool, at least you know whose side they're on..if indeed they are true to their values.

I’m not comfortable with any kind of predicative policing. It probably shouldn’t bother me because it happens a lot more than we realize and without incident, but the human in me cannot be comfortable with it :hmm:
Local Localist wrote:An 'other' option would sort of take away from the point...

All three options are positive. What if you have an negative opinion of Palantir?

@RhetoricThug this is a thread for you.
Local Localist wrote:Exactly. That is the point of the poll.

The point of the poll is to give Palantir a positive outcome? What the fuck!!

I am not a fan of the "other" option being a choice as it can manipulate results with polls that have binary choices. But in this case you don't what to give the user a binary choice but a mono-choice. So where the fuck is the "other" option!?
ness31 wrote:if indeed they are true to their values.

If the number of lawsuits the company is fighting (Or not - It consistently settles cases out of court with multimillion dollar payouts to the plaintiffs) are anything to go by, it's values are shite.

:lol:
B0ycey wrote:The point of the poll is to give Palantir a positive outcome? What the fuck!!

I am not a fan of the "other" option being a choice as it can manipulate results with polls that have binary choices. But in this case you don't what to give the user a binary choice but a mono-choice. So where the fuck is the "other" option!?

The "other" option? There is no "other". Palantir is all there is. There can be no other. :|
Did you enjoy the party?(Options):

1. Yes.
2. It was great.
3. It was awesome.
4. Best party, ever!

:D
Yes, they know too much, but what can we do.

I think global culture will change where the notion of privacy doesn't really exist among us. This is how it was in the Roman empire.
Rancid wrote:Yes, they know too much, but what can we do.

I think global culture will change where the notion of privacy doesn't really exist among us. This is how it was in the Roman empire.

I think the West's current individualistic notion of privacy will not be able to persist into the future.

One issue I think is very important to try to get into the public consciousness is the concept of caring about one's own personal internet data, and even considering it to be one's own property, as technocratic politicians such as Andrew Yang have proposed. This data will become ever more integral to one's life as a whole, and data gained can be leveraged by companies against people for various things such as charging more for products known to be required by particular individuals. Gains in this area will be hard to come by, so I think it's important to push hard for this.
Local Localist wrote:
I think the West's current individualistic notion of privacy will not be able to persist into the future.

One issue I think is very important to try to get into the public consciousness is the concept of caring about one's own personal internet data, and even considering it to be one's own property, as technocratic politicians such as Andrew Yang have proposed. This data will become ever more integral to one's life as a whole, and data gained can be leveraged by companies against people for various things such as charging more for products known to be required by particular individuals. Gains in this area will be hard to come by, so I think it's important to push hard for this.

I agree.

Sidenote: I went on a privacy kick yesterday. Decided to hide my youtube channel. It deletes all comments you've ever made on youtube. It also doesn't allow you to comment on videos. I think I'm going to keep it that way.

I wanted to delete my facebook completely (it is deactivated), but my wife wanted me to keep it in case I die. I don't get it, not like my facebook profile is important. :?: I'm sure I'll wear her down on this one though.
Rancid wrote:I wanted to delete my facebook completely (it is deactivated), but my wife wanted me to keep it in case I die. I don't get it, not like my facebook profile is important. :?: I'm sure I'll wear her down on this one though.

Have you read Jaron Leiners "Ten Arguments to delete your social media accounts right now?"

Basically I have a Facebook account that is inactive and the only reason I still use it is cos I am a nosy bastard that likes to read what people are up to. But I now know the tricks of manipulation from that book to ignore the propaganda and cooperate advertiment and find it amusing when I see things pop up on Facebook that they can only have got from my Google search engine.
Local Localist wrote:I think the West's current individualistic notion of privacy will not be able to persist into the future.

It is up to government to regulate what can be done with the data perhaps? And make the fines match the breaches. Or perhaps as you suggest make your data your intellectual property so Facebook pay you for using it. At least then you can see by $$$ how much you are just a user addicted to conformity.

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]

@FiveofSwords You still haven't told us how yo[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]